An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Rcia Necessary? And Two Other Conversion Questions

ChristinaTherese

ChristinaTherese

Context: I was validly baptized (in a Plymouth Brethren church) at eight, and have been looking seriously at Catholicism for about two and a half years. The priest in Seattle has known me for a little over a year by now. (If you care, the priest in Portland was only ordained in June. I think.)

Is RCIA necessary for me to become Catholic? My priest in Seattle isn't (I think) having me do RCIA, he's said that I should read the section in the CCC on sacraments and ask him questions brought up by that. I was talking to a priest here in Portland, and he said that RCIA was necessary.

When exactly can I call myself Catholic? Do I have to wait until I've been confirmed, or am I technically Catholic now?

Last, I was reading recently (on a priest's blog that I think was linked to by The Crescat, I'm not sure which exactly) that it's bad for priests to give blessings (to children, non-Catholics, etc.) during Communion. Is it wrong to go up for a blessing? Was the priest-blogger just being overly picky?

There are exceptions to taking RCIA. The elderly or frail or someone who works when classes take place are sometimes allowed to take the process kind of by tutoring. However, I truthfully believe a large portion of the problems the church has dealt with in the last couple of decades has been due to a lack of proper catechism. RCIA is a life changing process. We shouldn't bend over backwards to try to find a way around it but rather trying to find a way to get in it. It's definitely not a waste if time.

As to calling yourself a Catholic, you can. There are lots of people who call themselves Catholic that I wish they wouldn't. My mom always called herself a Catholic and she never actually entered the church. So long as you don't receive communion until you enter, I don't have a problem with it. You can also say you are entering or joining the church.

I like seeing priests bless kids in the communion line. I just don't like seeing EM's doing it.