An Old School Catholic Message Board

Airline Advice Please Re Business Or First Class

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

I am going to book an airline flight from Melbourne to England soon and I was wondering about reviews from experienced travellers. As I am using frequent flyer miles from United and using them all up (because I don't plan to come back hopefully) I am going to go either business or first class and I have to use the airlines that fly with United as partners on the direct Australia to England route (not via the US this time because that costs more) and those that are available through their frequent flyer award fares.These are my choices...

Thai Arlines (I have been told good service, bad food)

Singapore Airlines - although they don't seem to have anything available in first class, only business class (I have been told good food, hard seats even in business and first)

Air China (I have read horrible reviews about them)

Most flights go via Asia and Europe and different airlines have different routes. I think all of them require a change of airlines in Europe, to such airlines as

Lufthansa

SWISS

SAS

Egyptair

etc

Has anyone flown business or first class using any of these airlines that would like to post their opinion of the flight, service, seats, food, etc. One of the things that really put me off Air China was someone's experience of a cancelled flight once he got to Beijing (the hub - all their planes go through there). It sounded like a horror story as they had to wait for 18 hours in the airport with no help, not speaking the language etc. I had a cancelled flight in SFO on my last trip and waited 18 hours in the airport but I spoke the langauge, had the currency, knew how to take care of myself there, and the airlines gave me a lot of frequent flyer miles in compensation for my discomfort and inconvenience (that's why I can afford to fly back to England business or first class on miles!)

Thank you for any opinions. I won't be booking for a few days so anything you post would be helpful. No good telling me about the airlines that I can't use like British Airways or Air Canada Qantas or Emirates since United doesn't offer me these choices. The flights from Europe are pretty short so I don't mind which airline I use from there to England really but wouldn't mind hearing about them. The main choices for me seem to be Thai, Singapore and Air China. Thanks.

Edited by nunsense

AccountDeleted

I know a lot about Delta and Delta's codeshares so I can't really help you with your options.

This site might help you find out which airlines offer the best seat options: http://www.seatguru.com/

Thanks for responding dUSt. I have used seatguru and seatexpert and seatmaestro which are all great but beyond which seat, I am looking for personal experiences of the airlines re food, service, comfort etc. I usually don't bother with all this info and just choose the cheapest seat on the cheapest airline but since I am using up all my frequent flyer miles this time, I figured I would go in style, and in comfort if possible. Most first and business class seats on the long hauls now have lie flat seats for sleeping and I figured if I have a choice, I should try to choose the best experience possible. Flights from Australia are always long and uncomfortable so being able to stretch out sounds fantastic, and if some airlines have better seats or better food or better service, it would make sense to choose them (they cost the same amount of miles). I loved Emirates when I flew them from Manchester to Melbourne - and I was in economy at the time! But they aren't one of the choices that United gives me unfortunately.

Reading online I see that even though airlines use the same make and model of aircraft, they all fit them out slightly differently. I don't usually eat a lot so that isn't as important as comfort really. I plan on sleeping as much as possible. There are at least two legs to these flights (sometimes 3 or 4) and the first two are very long (10 hours or more). We are talking of a total of over 30 hours counting time waiting for plane changes etc and I don't want to be a total basket case when I get to England. Last time I flew London to San Francisco and spent two days resting before the SFO to Melbourne flight. That was one 10 hour flight and one 16 hour flight (with change in Sydney). I can't do that this time because it would use more frequent flyer miles than I have so it's the direct route this time probably with stops in either Singapore, Bangkok or Beijing, plus additional stops along the way in Europe, probably Frankfurt or Paris. I am happy to land in either London, Birmingham or Manchester but Birmingham is the preferred airport as it is closer to Wolverhampton.

So if anyone knows about Thai Airline, Singapore Airlines or Air China, that would help a lot. And any extra info about Lufthansa or SWISS etc would also be good.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I have flown first class a lot with United (free bumps for military :) ), unfortunately I do not possess first hand knowledge of the specific airlines listed. Basically yes I am no help in choosing between the airlines, I just wanted to respond so you know someone is indeed reading this ;)

AccountDeleted

I have flown first class a lot with United (free bumps for military :) ), unfortunately I do not possess first hand knowledge of the specific airlines listed. Basically yes I am no help in choosing between the airlines, I just wanted to respond so you know someone is indeed reading this ;)

Aren't you a sweetie :blowkiss:

I don't think many Americans fly a lot on the Asia/Pacific route but it was worth asking, and maybe there just might be someone who has done it. I am going to read online reviews as well and see what I can find. I will probably avoid Air China completely. At least I have read that Thai has a good First Class lounge in Bangkok so if I get stranded there, I will have someplace to sleep! :)

Spem in alium

I can't really help you with those airlines as I've never flown them. Coming to the US, I did a bit of research on the airlines and on what I could afford. The best airline I've flown with has definitely been Emirates, but unfortunately even economy tickets were out of my price range. Eventually, I ended up flying with Delta/Virgin. I was fairly comfortable, but didn't get a huge amount of sleep. For sure, you need to have a lot of leg room and comfort, because the flight from Aus can be really tiring! Definitely read reviews. Are you able to fly with an airline you've already experienced, or are they all ones with which you've never travelled? 
Sorry I couldn't be much help - I hope all works out!

Singapore Airlines = best airline I have ever used, ever. And I've spent a lot of time flying. I'm guessing you'd probably have a layover in Singapore and as airports go, Changi is incredible. 

I flew Lufthansa once and it was not an experience I'd recommend to anyone else. 

AccountDeleted

I can't really help you with those airlines as I've never flown them. Coming to the US, I did a bit of research on the airlines and on what I could afford. The best airline I've flown with has definitely been Emirates, but unfortunately even economy tickets were out of my price range. Eventually, I ended up flying with Delta/Virgin. I was fairly comfortable, but didn't get a huge amount of sleep. For sure, you need to have a lot of leg room and comfort, because the flight from Aus can be really tiring! Definitely read reviews. Are you able to fly with an airline you've already experienced, or are they all ones with which you've never travelled? 
Sorry I couldn't be much help - I hope all works out!

Thank you- and yes, Emirates was great and I was only in Economy but only going one way (when you could still get cheap one way fares). I have been on Singapore Airlines before but it was in Economy and I was wondering what it would be like in business or first and the online reviews complained a lot about the hard seats and uncomfortable lie flat seats as well. Air China scares me because the reviews of their customer service sounded appalling. Thai might be the best bet but my sister and her husband hated the food on Thai. So it's either hard seats or bad food I think.

AccountDeleted

Singapore Airlines = best airline I have ever used, ever. And I've spent a lot of time flying. I'm guessing you'd probably have a layover in Singapore and as airports go, Changi is incredible. 

I flew Lufthansa once and it was not an experience I'd recommend to anyone else. 

I lived in Singapore for awhile and I did fly Singapore Airlines once but the online reviews about the seats being hard worried me, but I think I might choose them if I can find a flight on the day I want. I liked their service. And thank you for your recommendation.

Edited by nunsense

I lived in Singapore for awhile and I did fly Singapore Airlines once but the online reviews about the seats being hard worried me, but I think I might choose them if I can find a flight on the day I want. I liked their service. And thank you for your recommendation.

Off topic, but I used to live in Singapore too! 

Personally I've found them one of the most comfortable airlines I've ever used. 

AccountDeleted

was trying to find some advice out there for you. didn't come up with much. :(

here's something from cnbc: http://www.cnbc.com/id/48192660/The_World039s_Best_International_Airlines_2012

or try this, where people can add their experiences and ratings of airlines:

http://www.airlinequality.com

Thanks so much Red - it looks as if Thai and Singapore are both in the top 10 airlines so that is good. Air China isn't even on the list so I defintiely will forget that.

The reviews had complaints about both airlines for business so I think it might be a 50/50 split on this one. I guess I will just have to choose based on what is going where I want to go when I want to go and just hope for the best. I figure - why do mortification on the way into the convent, but then maybe that's when I should be doing it! :lol3: