An Old School Catholic Message Board

So I Passed The Fe Exam!

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

WHOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took the FE(Fundamentals of Engineering) exam this past October.  Basically it's an 8 hour test that you need to pass before you can take another test after a few years experience in the job field called the PE (Professional Engineering) exam to become a licensed engineer.  Licensed engineers can do some things that unlicensed engineers cannot do.  Like signing off on plans and stuff.  Not all engineers have to be licensed, but like a Master's degree, it may help out or even be required depending on what you do.

Seriously thought I wasn't going to pass.  The morning 4 hour session went okay as I only guessed on an "okay" amount, but it was long as I like many used all four hours.

The afternoon was awful.  After two hours, I said screw it, guessed on what I hadn't filled in, and was the first of like 200 to walk out.

The test proctors are PARANOID about cheating.  They provide pencils, a booklet with engineering equations, and the test itself.  All your possessions are on the floor in clear bags.  Drinks must stay on the floor during the test.  Only certain calculators are allowed.......

Did I mention that the main proctor followed me out to my car after I finished???  Once he saw me get in my car and leave, he went back in.....but seriously  ...  I guess he was afraid I'd hide out and pass out answers to people or something.

But I passed!  Touchdown!

That is WONDERFUL news, EagleEye!!!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the 'not required exam that really is important" because we have one in the counseling field as well... the 'Nationally Certified Counselor' - which is really just letters after your name.  Except they are important letters, especially in the Career and Befreavement fields because those aren't 'licensed'.  Is this whole thing confusing,  YUP.  But it eally is irritating to have to pay $500 to get the lettes and $60 to keep them each year... plust a bunch of continuing ed classes.  I hope you aren't stuck with anything like that!

Yes, I remember preparing for the NCE exam, and I remember the horrible preparation CDs I had to listen to -- about 40 HOURS of them.  With this odd voice just droning and droning and droning.  But I guess he did his stuff, I cause I passed. 

LOVE the proctor story.  During one exam the lense of my glasses fell out, and at first they were convinced it was some kind of a cheating thing.   I guess they really do see it all...

WONDERFUL for you!!!!!!   Are you able to put something like that on a resume?  Because it really IS an accomplishment!!!!

WHOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I took the FE(Fundamentals of Engineering) exam this past October. Basically it's an 8 hour test that you need to pass before you can take another test after a few years experience in the job field called the PE (Professional Engineering) exam to become a licensed engineer. Licensed engineers can do some things that unlicensed engineers cannot do. Like signing off on plans and stuff. Not all engineers have to be licensed, but like a Master's degree, it may help out or even be required depending on what you do.

Seriously thought I wasn't going to pass. The morning 4 hour session went okay as I only guessed on an "okay" amount, but it was long as I like many used all four hours.

The afternoon was awful. After two hours, I said screw it, guessed on what I hadn't filled in, and was the first of like 200 to walk out.

The test proctors are PARANOID about cheating. They provide pencils, a booklet with engineering equations, and the test itself. All your possessions are on the floor in clear bags. Drinks must stay on the floor during the test. Only certain calculators are allowed.......

Did I mention that the main proctor followed me out to my car after I finished??? Once he saw me get in my car and leave, he went back in.....but seriously ... I guess he was afraid I'd hide out and pass out answers to people or something.

But I passed! Touchdown!

Congrats! I have a friend that passed earlier this year as well. I'm glad I don't have to do anything like that for sure!

eagle_eye222001

That is WONDERFUL news, EagleEye!!!!!!!!

I know exactly what you mean about the 'not required exam that really is important" because we have one in the counseling field as well... the 'Nationally Certified Counselor' - which is really just letters after your name.  Except they are important letters, especially in the Career and Befreavement fields because those aren't 'licensed'.  Is this whole thing confusing,  YUP.  But it eally is irritating to have to pay $500 to get the lettes and $60 to keep them each year... plust a bunch of continuing ed classes.  I hope you aren't stuck with anything like that!

Yes, I remember preparing for the NCE exam, and I remember the horrible preparation CDs I had to listen to -- about 40 HOURS of them.  With this odd voice just droning and droning and droning.  But I guess he did his stuff, I cause I passed. 

LOVE the proctor story.  During one exam the lense of my glasses fell out, and at first they were convinced it was some kind of a cheating thing.   I guess they really do see it all...

WONDERFUL for you!!!!!!   Are you able to put something like that on a resume?  Because it really IS an accomplishment!!!!

If I decide to get my PE, then yes I think I do pay some scam annual fee.  However, it can open up doors.  My Dad got it and its been beneficial for him.  They strongly encourage you to take the FE exam, if your going to take it at all, in college as stuff is still fresh.  6 months after college, people tend to fail because they've forgotten everything.

I did get a prep book and put a lot of hours into it.  It was fairly helpful.

Putting answers on the Lenses?   :lol4:

Congrats! I have a friend that passed earlier this year as well. I'm glad I don't have to do anything like that for sure!

Yeah, I hate standardized tests......Listening to monotone directions.....'You may now pick up a pencil and fill in your first letter of your FIRST name."

Way go! Way to be! Way to do!

What kind of engineering - mechanical?

Yep.  The morning session was general engineering stuff while the afternoon was your discipline.

PhuturePriest

I was excited when my post was liked. Then I realized I was like everyone else and it didn't mean anything special... :sad:

eagle_eye222001

Why is there an exam about iron?

Because they wanted Engineering to begin with 'U' but it didn't work out, so it begins with 'E' now for public relational reasons.