An Old School Catholic Message Board

For Carmelite Lovers - Teresa In Ecstasy

AccountDeleted

AccountDeleted

It doesn't look like I will ever be able to see Bernini's statue of Teresa in Ecstasy in person, so this is the next best thing.

And it's posted here for others who just love this great work of art. A virtual tour. Can you believe this church?? Click on the link or the photo (should have a link on it) and then the best view is to click on the virtual tour and then choose full screen and then just move the cursor around to see the whole church. It might not be quite the same as being there in person, but it is still gorgeous!

http://www.panoramicearth.com/502/Rome/Santa_Maria_della_Vittoria

StTeresaAvila5.jpg

Mary's Margaret

The church is amazing: it will take more than one 'visit' to see and appreciate it all. Thanks for taking us there, Nunsense.

It is all visually stunning" (For B labling his work in "Ecstasy" .. just a gee wizz..I read somewhere..St.T was prone to episodes that were not religious related.) Only the other hand..i wouldnt want to be responsible for having to keep that beauty dust free. ;-/

AccountDeleted

It is all visually stunning" (For B labling his work in "Ecstasy" .. just a gee wizz..I read somewhere..St.T was prone to episodes that were not religious related.) Only the other hand..i wouldnt want to be responsible for having to keep that beauty dust free. ;-/

I have read the detractors that say her experiences were simply manifestations of physical or psychological problems but there will always be those who have to tear things down because they don't understand them. God speaks to people in different ways and there is no doubt in my mind from her writings and those of St John of the Cross that Teresa did indeed experience states of divine ecstasy. Those writings came from somewhere divine and the Church has recognised this by making her a Doctor of the Church. She used a lot of different words to describe her states of being, including rapture and ecstasy and during the particular experience of her Transverberation, which Bernini is trying to express with this statue, she describes it this way...

I saw in his hand a long spear of gold, and at the point there seemed to be a little fire. He appeared to me to be thrusting it at times into my heart, and to pierce my very entrails; when he drew it out, he seemed to draw them out also, and to leave me all on fire with a great love of God. The pain was so great, that it made me moan; and yet so surpassing was the sweetness of this excessive pain, that I could not wish to be rid of it...

When I spoke to an Ignation spiritual director about states of ecstasy he told me the best way to determine if they were divine was by 'the tail' as one can always tell the devil by his tail. He then explained that this means a truly divine experience will always leave one loving God more and promote an increase in virtues such as charity and patience for others whereas an experience that leaves one full of pride and self-love will be from the devil.

As for dusting this piece, I would joyfully do it every day just to be able to see it! :)

I have been in this church while visiting Rome! So beautiful! I didn't remember well the statue though, so thanks for posting! I remembered the beautiful painting of Mary on the ceiling, it is huge. Churches in Rome are amazing, they look small and not very bright from the outside, but when you step in, it is gold and marble everywhere! My eyes are still full of the beauty I saw there; (and my tongue remembers the taste of the best ice creams ever!) ^^

Thank you so much, nunsense!!! How amazing!! also thanks for defending Holy Mother there! (I'm not a Carmelite I know, but it's fun to call her that) Her ecstasies/experiences were indeed "religion related"  She was on fire with the Love of God!! Now I just have to quote Chesterton! :smile3:

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair."  :heart:

wait nunsense, that Chesterton quote you had as your signature for a while there right? or maybe it was another PMer ... that's how I thought of it so fast .. it goes perfect with your profile picture :saint: Thank you!! I love it! :pray: