An Old School Catholic Message Board

Memorial Crucifix With Urn?

OnlySunshine

I recently looked at a Catholic website at their crucifixes and about fell off my bed when I saw there was a Memorial Wall Crucifix with a miniature stainless steel urn inside.  It kind of reminded me of the Sick Call Crucifixes in that it has a part that you pull up in order to access what's inside.  It shocked me to see such a thing on a Catholic website because I believe that what the Church teaches about dignity of burial and I don't believe it is appropriate to have ashes contained anywhere in the house.  I'm thinking of writing the company to complain and ask that they not sell this item due to it being contrary to the Catholic faith.  This is the item I'm talking about:

Memorial Wall Crucifix Urn in Walnut

The fact that they call the urn a "stainless steel ash receptacle" gave me the creeps.  Receptacle is often used as another word for trash can.   :covereyes:

Spem in alium

I recently looked at a Catholic website at their crucifixes and about fell off my bed when I saw there was a Memorial Wall Crucifix with a miniature stainless steel urn inside.  It kind of reminded me of the Sick Call Crucifixes in that it has a part that you pull up in order to access what's inside.  It shocked me to see such a thing on a Catholic website because I believe that what the Church teaches about dignity of burial and I don't believe it is appropriate to have ashes contained anywhere in the house.  I'm thinking of writing the company to complain and ask that they not sell this item due to it being contrary to the Catholic faith.  This is the item I'm talking about:

Memorial Wall Crucifix Urn in Walnut

The fact that they call the urn a "stainless steel ash receptacle" gave me the creeps.  Receptacle is often used as another word for trash can.   :covereyes:

Seems bizarre to me also. If someone is cremated, I believe their remains should be kept in a place of rest, like a crypt - not put on display.

I know a few people who have been cremated, and to me it would be more than a little odd to have their remains inside a crucifix on my wall. :unsure:  

homeschoolmom

My dad (who's an atheist) showed me his urn. It's pottery. He made it himself. It has little sculptured faces of people who are/were meaningful in his life. My brother and I were there. His hs chemistry teacher (he was a chemist) was there... his mother wasn't, though. :huh: It was really, really weird. (I really hope I don't inherit it someday....)

My dad (who's an atheist) showed me his urn. It's pottery. He made it himself. It has little sculptured faces of people who are/were meaningful in his life. My brother and I were there. His hs chemistry teacher (he was a chemist) was there... his mother wasn't, though. :huh: It was really, really weird. (I really hope I don't inherit it someday....)

Yikes...  :blink:

This makes no sense. Human cremation ashes should be treated with the same respect we give to the body of the deceased. The remains are to be placed in a worthy vessel which then is carried and transported with the same respect and attention given to a casket carrying a body.  Their final disposition is equally important, say the instructions: "The cremated remains should be buried in a grave or entombed in a mausoleum or columbarium [a cemetery vault designed for urns containing ashes of the dead]. The practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains in the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires." The instructions also state that, if at all possible, the place of entombment should be marked with a plaque or stone memorializing the deceased.

my gramma has my grampa on her mantle. :| i think she's waiting until she dies and they will be buried together. he died like 20 years ago.

I wrote them earlier today to ask them if they would reconsider the sale of the item and any similar items.  I also showed them the Catechism passage that points to respect of the dignity of the human person and that a proper burial is a Corporal Act of Mercy.  What if, somehow, someone got the Crucifix later on and didn't know that the urn was in there and (God forbid) discarded it or gave it to someone else?  That's horrible to even think about...  :X