An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suggestions Of Relaxation And Better Sleep Techniques.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Okay so I've been in a funk about this for a very long time now to the point that it's debilitating.

Background Information: I used to be a really focused individual where I would get all of my work done in a timely manner with adequate sleep time. About a year ago I went through a family crisis which some of you know about, and many aspects of my life changed drastically because of it at a time where that type of change really screwed with my head. A combination of grief over many losses and drastic change accumulated into a big mess. Ever since then I haven't been the same in health, sleeping, and normal relaxation. I'm a senior in high school that is currently dealing with the stresses of college applications, decisions, and school work. And to be frank, I'm sick of high school. I'm currently going through a vicious cycle of not being able to focus properly by my own mind and environment distracting me, therefore taking me A LOT longer to finish homework, which leads to lack of sleep, and lack of sleep to not being able to focus again in class, and a combination of all of that has been starting to give me migraines. I have been going to grief counseling and such and I'm a very different person than I was earlier this year, which is great progress. But now it's starting to come to the point where I need help with getting my mind to function properly without causing too much debilitation like this.

I keep hearing from everyone that I speak to whether it be my primary care doctor or my counselor that I need to start a consistent routine of relaxation when I go to bed. I've been having a lot of problems sleeping even when I'm not too stressed out or not even stressed out at all because my mind tends to race and think about things of the past.

So I was wondering if there were any techniques that y'all do that I can try? It doesn't even have to be sleep relaxation, but relaxation in general when I get too stressed at school or anything really.

Thanks pham!

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I've tried exercise. Helps in fitness and physical fatigue, but not so much in relaxation of my mind.

HisChildForever

Google the following techniques:

Progressive muscle relaxation

Mindfulness

Deep breathing/meditation

Visualization

Your grief counselor may be able to refer you to a relaxation group (since she might not be competent in this area) that will teach you various techniques. You should be able to find one on campus next year through their counseling services.

If you run 5 miles, make sure you do it in the morning.  Go to a shrink so you can get drugs to help you deal, prolly something that helps relax the brain.  

Breathing techniques help a lot, such as taking a deep breath through your nose to the point where your belly expands as if you're pregnant.  Out through your mouth, slowly and allow your body to relax each time.  Do this about 8 times, once you get to 8 start counting back down to 1.  By this time your body will be totally relaxed and your brain will be less active.    

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

Yeah I'm trying to go for anything that doesn't involve medicine. Counseling is enough and has been doing great for me, but I don't want to have to use medication. I'm not a medicine type of person unless it's absolutely necessary in an illness.

I think that self-exploration is helpful.  Like just laying back and really trying to more fully discover just who you are and what you want.  

theculturewarrior

Mindfulness meditation is what I do.  The Tao Te Ching says that if you want to be full, empty yourself (ie your thoughts).  I go to a psychologist for anxiety, but the best relaxation techniques that I have learned were from registered nurses who became counselors.  It happens often since nursing is a career with a lot of burnout.  They are very familiar with the physiology behind anxiety and relaxation so they usually have a very good answer.

Spem in alium

When I was about fifteen I was very stressed and had trouble sleeping, so my doctor gave me a CD of calming thought exercises to listen to and do before I went to sleep. It made me really relaxed. 

Recently I started praying the Rosary or meditating before bed - it helps me in so many ways, and definitely calms me.

If I need to relax during the day, I drink tea, read a book or go for a walk somewhere. It's good to make sure you take time out from your schedule each day.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I've had issues with insomnia, and from them I learned how to get to sleep better. I don't like using medication, so what I used to do was put some lavender in my pillow (it relaxes you so much), have a banana or some warm milk, not use my computer or watch TV later into the night, and once I was in bed, lie there and stare at my feet (that might sound odd, but it really did help in sending me to sleep).

I hope things get better for you soon. Prayers.

Edited by Spem in alium

When I was about fifteen I was very stressed and had trouble sleeping, so my doctor gave me a CD of calming thought exercises to listen to and do before I went to sleep. It made me really relaxed. 

Recently I started praying the Rosary or meditating before bed - it helps me in so many ways, and definitely calms me.

If I need to relax during the day, I drink tea, read a book or go for a walk somewhere. It's good to make sure you take time out from your schedule each day.

ETA: I forgot to mention, I've had issues with insomnia, and from them I learned how to get to sleep better. I don't like using medication, so what I used to do was put some lavender in my pillow (it relaxes you so much), have a banana or some warm milk, not use my computer or watch TV later into the night, and once I was in bed, lie there and stare at my feet (that might sound odd, but it really did help in sending me to sleep).

I hope things get better for you soon. Prayers.

I've also found that praying the Rosary or the Liturgy of the Hours before bed relaxes me -- especially the Rosary.  Just meditating upon the Mysteries soothes any anxiety I have and helps me in so many ways.  :)

Another technique is to wake up at the same time every morning, including weekends.  Avoid any naps or if one is necessary keep it short, less than an hour.  Only use your bedroom for sleep.  The idea is to try to program your conscience that your bedroom is for sleep and sleep only.  Unless of course you're married and you get my drift.  

Basilisa Marie

Having a set "ritual" for before bed helps me.  Glass of water, brush teeth, wash face, prayer...whatever works for you.  The key is to just stick to it every night, so no matter what time homework lets you go to bed, eventually your body will get "trained" to recognize that doing that routine = bedtime.  Also make sure you're not doing homework in bed, because then your brain can start associating your bed with doing work.