An Old School Catholic Message Board

Calling All Med Students Or Doctors

the171

Do you know of any autoimmune disorders that could cause mainly hyperventilation, fatigue, and constant dizziness? I've been looking but can't find anything.

Fidei Defensor

I'm not a doctor so do not take my comments as medical advice.

That being said, there aren't many autoimmune disorders that would manifest solely as those symptoms. Is there any reason why you suspect autoimmune?

Edited by tardis ad astra

I'm not a doctor either but that sounds like an anxiety disorder or acute stress reaction. Maybe CFS, especially if all your tests are clear - but that usually affects menopausal women, not teenagers.

My ANA was positive. ANA=test for autoimmune diseases. Those aren't the only symptoms. Those are just the only symptoms we're sure of. Others might be weight gain, tingly sensations, aaaannd that's all I can recall currently.

fatigue and dizziness reminds me of fibromyalgia. but unless you are experiencing pain it is probably not that.

That's why I thought CFS, because she didn't mention pressure points... 171 does the fatigue get better when you rest?

Also, I've been noticing extra pain around the scapula and neck region. No, the fatigue is constant. Headaches every day. Not too too bad, but annoying.

We checked for a vitamin deficiency. We've done lots of tests.

Fidei Defensor

My ANA was positive. ANA=test for autoimmune diseases. Those aren't the only symptoms. Those are just the only symptoms we're sure of. Others might be weight gain, tingly sensations, aaaannd that's all I can recall currently.

The only disease that comes to mind that covers that many different symptoms would be lupus. It can manifest in many different and sometimes conflicting ways  :hmmm:

well ... fibro causes headaches and tingling. But pain is the major one. most likely would be your #1 complaint if it was fibro.

lupus does have a lot of different symptoms that could fit ... le sigh ... autoimmune is a wild wild world. paging dr. house.

Also, I've been noticing extra pain around the scapula and neck region. No, the fatigue is constant. Headaches every day. Not too too bad, but annoying.

We checked for a vitamin deficiency. We've done lots of tests.

The annoying thing with CFS or fibro is that these are diagnoses of exclusion, there is no test to rule them in. So It can be really hard to find a doctor who is willing to consider it as a possiblity, and who won't dismiss the patient as malingering or fabricating illness. There's this bias that if it doesn't show up on a test, you're faking it. Fibro is much more common than CFS and it has more of the pressure point pain.

The ANA could be irrelevant, it's not likely  I think about 1 out of 10 healthy people just walks around with a positive ANA for no apparent reason.

The other thing I think of when you mention tingling is MS, not to freak you out. You would be very young for that diagnosis and I'm sure there weren't any lesions on your brain scans (or the doctor would have told you) I guess from what I have heard it's possible to have a clean scan and still have the disease - it's possible but very very rare.