An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hobbit Tickets...can't Give Them Away :(

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

So I was planning on attending the Hobbit premier tonight with a group of friends they all backed out, so I now have 3 extra tickets already bought and I am having problems finding people to give them to...sure wish more of the Phamily was here I'm sure I could find them a home then...

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I know right...I've posted on FB...called my entire local phone list...sadly it's finals week so a lot of people are studing and sleeping for exams.

Basilisa Marie

True fangirls and fanboys plan for midnight premieres during finals week in advance. :)   I do hope they paid you for the tickets anyway. 

Finished one term paper, still have ten pages on another for Saturdayish, and I just bought my tickets for tonight. :) 

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

It was a family death that caused them to back out...no they hadn't paid yet...but I DID finally find someone to buy two of the tickets...he offered me double the cost for a pair...I refused and just took face value cause I'm not a scalper.

It was a family death that caused them to back out...no they hadn't paid yet...but I DID finally find someone to buy two of the tickets...he offered me double the cost for a pair...I refused and just took face value cause I'm not a scalper.

You shoulda had him pay actual cost, but have him buy all 3 rather then only 2. Then he could find someone to take the third and you'd have no problems :)

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Well, my SD Fr Nick is out hunting right now...if he doesn't bag his deer then he's going to take the last ticket. :)

Now only 5 hours to go and I get to watch me some Dumbledore...um I mean Gandolf

IgnatiusofLoyola

I took my two cats to the vet last week and she told me that although she is a HUGE fan of the Hobbit, she will not be seeing the movie.

During filming, a number of animals were mistreated and/or died. The top producers knew about it, and at least one employee was fired for complaining. Another employee quit because he no longer could deal with the mistreatment of the animals. 

The mistreatment of the animals happened while the animals were off the set. The SPCA supervised the animals during filming, but would not supervise their treatment when they were off set. Apparently the abuses happened at the farm where they were kept.

This abuse of the animals used in filming could have been prevented. The "Hobbit" was a very high budget movie that spent lots of money on details related to sets, special effects, etc. I suspect that only little more budget devoted to animal care could have assured that the animals were housed on a farm that treated the animals humanely.

I know that PETA was planning to demonstrate. However, PETA has a mixed reputation, and is considered to be by some to be fanatics.

My vet and I are certainly not fanatics. In my case, I eat meat and wear leather shoes, but feel that God gave us, as humans, responsibility for animals. Domestic animals--such as pets and animals trained for filming in movies--are helpless without human beings looking out for their welfare. I wouldn't go to the Hobbit in any case (I haven't been to a movie for years--long story), but I was very sad to hear this about the movie..

So, before you go see the Hobbit, think a bit about your values.

Note: I have not myself read the articles about animal abuse during filming of the Hobbit--it would make me too sad, and I have to guard my emotions carefully. If you find any mistakes in what I wrote above, they are mine, because I am quoting a conversation and my memory is not perfect.

IgnatiusofLoyola

I took my two cats to the vet last week and she told me that although she is a HUGE fan of the Hobbit, she will not be seeing the movie.

During filming, a number of animals were mistreated and/or died. The top producers knew about it, and at least one employee was fired for complaining. Another employee quit because he no longer could deal with the mistreatment of the animals. 

The mistreatment of the animals happened while the animals were off the set. The SPCA supervised the animals during filming, but would not supervise their treatment when they were off set. Apparently the abuses happened at the farm where they were kept.

This abuse of the animals used in filming could have been prevented. The "Hobbit" was a very high budget movie that spent lots of money on details related to sets, special effects, etc. I suspect that only little more budget devoted to animal care could have assured that the animals were housed on a farm that treated the animals humanely.

I know that PETA was planning to demonstrate. However, PETA has a mixed reputation, and is considered to be by some to be fanatics.

My vet and I are certainly not fanatics. In my case, I eat meat and wear leather shoes, but feel that God gave us, as humans, responsibility for animals. Domestic animals--such as pets and animals trained for filming in movies--are helpless without human beings looking out for their welfare. I wouldn't go to the Hobbit in any case (I haven't been to a movie for years--long story), but I was very sad to hear this about the movie..

Note: I have not myself read the articles about animal abuse during filming of the Hobbit--it would make me too sad, and I have to guard my emotions carefully. If you find any mistakes in what I wrote above, they are mine, because I am quoting a conversation and my memory is not perfect.

IgnatiusofLoyola