An Old School Catholic Message Board

In The Wake Of This Tragedy

kujo

homeschoolmom
So, found this while randomly watching Jennamarbles' videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64G5FfG2Xpg

What are your thoughts?

How much money have those celebrities made promoting gun violence in their movies?

Here's my plan:

Stop being hypocrits. Stop making violent movies and tv shows that glamorize misuse of guns.

PhuturePriest
Gee, I don't think it was called for to insult me. I simply meant that there are many people in this world who are perfectly good and kind who might also be a bit strange, but if we pursue an aggressive policy of removing people with mental health issues or simply perceives issue from society (which is what I think is being implied), these people may becomes targets as well as those who are genuine threats. I am actually referring to the novel "The Ball and the Cross" by Chesterton where an eccentric priest who has a moment of spiritual clarity in a public place is swiftly thrown into an asylum. But mostly I don't feel insults are called for.

Who said anything about locking mentally ill people up? :blink: Fixing mental health means giving them the proper medication and care that they require, NOT locking people up in a dungeon for the rest of their life.

There's a response to this video dealing with just that. It doesn't surprise me to see celebrities advocating a classed society.

Interesting, I have zero knowledge on gun control issues so I try to avoid talking out of my ass on the matter, but I'm all for learning. Most people around me family/friends and such generally expressed disgust or horror at the Newtown shooting (obv) but also at why this woman would own such a weapon in the first place. It's probably ignorance and people being emotional but you can't really blame them. It was a scary thing that happened.

Yup, pretty scary thing. Problem is though, when it comes to passing laws afterwards, everyone assumes that they know a lot about guns(typically without ever actually seeing one in real life) from hollywood(which is about as accurate with gun stuff, as Armageddon is accurate with space travel and science).

From that position, its easy to make judgements based on aesthetics. Most people dont actually know most full autos are totally banned, so when they see something like

88.jpg

they think due to its appearance that it is a full auto and super dangerous. When in reality the civilian version that is available to buy, is functionally pretty much the exact same as this

ber_JS92F300M.jpg

just bigger, uglier, less reliable and harder to conceal. both being semi auto handguns in 9mm

Edited by Jesus_lol

TheLordsSouljah
if he is merciful to this guy in judgement I want nothing to do with that god...

While this horrific event was a total tragedy and positively satanic, and we can only try to begin to sympathise with the languishing parents, there was nothing more tragic in all of history than the death of the Saviour - humanity killed it's own perfectly innocent Creator!!! And Christ forgave His killers through His torture on the cross. 

The murderer will have to pay the price of his evil in full, God's mercy can save him from eternal damnation - that is His mercy. Judge not, bro. Peace n' prayers.

Yup, pretty scary thing. Problem is though, when it comes to passing laws afterwards, everyone assumes that they know a lot about guns(typically without ever actually seeing one in real life) from hollywood(which is about as accurate with gun stuff, as Armageddon is accurate with space travel and science).

From that position, its easy to make judgements based on aesthetics. Most people dont actually know most full autos are totally banned, so when they see something like

88.jpg

they think due to its appearance that it is a full auto and super dangerous. When in reality the civilian version that is available to buy, is functionally pretty much the exact same as this

ber_JS92F300M.jpg

just bigger, uglier, less reliable and harder to conceal. both being semi auto handguns in 9mm

Which is why, although it is completely rediculious to have an AR-15 for any professed reason than you just like to shoot a lot of poop, the main focus should be on hand guns. 

Or just bringing about the destruction of the arms industry in general.  And yes, that includes the government's capacity to retain massively destructive weapons.  People keep trying to dichotomize this.  I'm not saying that private citizens should be unarmed and the governments of the world should be able to but as much destructive capacity as they want.  Tha arms industry in general, selling to both civilian and government forces, is sick and need's to be stamped out.  They fuel government destructiveness and dump lots of destructive power into the laps of irresponsible and bad private people.  People should still be able to have some guns but the arms industry, as a massive concentration of private capital that perpetuates itself through the sale of tools of violence, needs to be smashed and broken up. 

Interesting, I have zero knowledge on gun control issues so I try to avoid talking out of my ass on the matter, but I'm all for learning. Most people around me family/friends and such generally expressed disgust or horror at the Newtown shooting (obv) but also at why this woman would own such a weapon in the first place. It's probably ignorance and people being emotional but you can't really blame them. It was a scary thing that happened.

There was no reason that she needed a bushmaster/a actually harmless tool that just looks scary despite the fact that it somehow was so mysteriously effective at slaughtering a lot of kids in a really short period of time. 

Aurora NC is really poor.  Everybody lives in crappy trailers that could easily be kicked in.  I have never seen a cop back there (although their are plenty of confederate flags).  I get that some people needs guns for self protection.  When I'm there visiting family I'm glad the shot gun is in the cabnit.  Even without intruders it's good to have around for rattle snakes.  If I lived there I would keep with me a gun.  But you don't need a bushmaster with a high capacity magazine to defend yourself from an intruder.  Or to kill rattle snakes.  An old double barrel shot gun works fine for both. 

Reactionary.

Which is why, although it is completely rediculious to have an AR-15 for any professed reason than you just like to shoot a lot of poop, the main focus should be on hand guns. 

Or just bringing about the destruction of the arms industry in general.  And yes, that includes the government's capacity to retain massively destructive weapons.  People keep trying to dichotomize this.  I'm not saying that private citizens should be unarmed and the governments of the world should be able to but as much destructive capacity as they want.  Tha arms industry in general, selling to both civilian and government forces, is sick and need's to be stamped out.  They fuel government destructiveness and dump lots of destructive power into the laps of irresponsible and bad private people.  People should still be able to have some guns but the arms industry, as a massive concentration of private capital that perpetuates itself through the sale of tools of violence, needs to be smashed and broken up. 

emperorGrins.jpg

Reactionary.

emperorGrins.jpg

How exactly is it reactionary.  I'm not seeking to preserve a particular order of things. 

Edited by Hasan

How exactly is it reactionary.  I'm not seeking to preserve a particular order of things. 

I'm not calling you a Reactionary, I'm merely observing that you're being reactionary, in the sense that an event occurred, and you are irrationally reacting to it. Your solution is to empower a special class of human. Because humans cannot be trusted. 

I'm not calling you a Reactionary, I'm merely observing that you're being reactionary, in the sense that an event occurred, and you are irrationally reacting to it. Your solution is to empower a special class of human. Because humans cannot be trusted. 

What special class am I proposing to empower?  

What special class am I proposing to empower?  

The one you believe should choose who gets to own things in scary shapes.