An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Different Than Buying Relics?

MarysLittleFlower

MarysLittleFlower

Hello,

In my understanding it's not right to buy/sell blessed objects or relics... am I correct? (however I was told that we can give donations to an organization that is giving the relics for free).

However, what about buying an object that was touched to a relic? for example, a scapular that was touched to a relic.

Am I missing something or misunderstanding? Just thought I'd ask :)

thanks!

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

My understanding is that an object itself that has value can be sold...for example a scapular untouched to a relic is sold for 3.00 a scapular can be then sold for 3.00 so long as someone is not increasing the value of it because it is a relic. I could be wrong in this, but it is what sticks in my memory.

I dunno...

I know people can buy a rosary from Rome and request that the seller gets it blessed by the Pope before shipping it to you that way you are technically buying an unblessed rosary and then having it blessed after it is yours. That seems to be stepping on the line if not crossing it to me though.

LouisvilleFan

You can sell a blessed item. You simply cannot sell it "as" a blessed item because blessings cannot be sold or purchased. Any blessing attached to an item ceases at the change of ownership.

Hence the reason one would bless their home, even if they bought if from another Catholic who had it blessed when they bought it.

For what its worth...

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/relics  

I've often wondered about the sale of Catholic items a quick search on ebay will find all kinds of items, is it wrong for me to buy them? maybe maybe not, to me I'm rescueing them, are there fakes out there? you bet their are...I like old Catholic medals and Rosaries, many of them you won't find again, are they Blessed? probably but I would never give or sell them as such...

You can sell a blessed item. You simply cannot sell it "as" a blessed item because blessings cannot be sold or purchased. Any blessing attached to an item ceases at the change of ownership.

Hence the reason one would bless their home, even if they bought if from another Catholic who had it blessed when they bought it.

Thanks Louisville, thats the same line of thought I was on...