An Old School Catholic Message Board

West Coast For Jobs?

Era Might

I am looking for work (in Massachusetts). It's not bad here, I think I will find something fairly quickly (professional jobs like sales, etc., not talking about labor-related jobs). I know someone in New Orleans where I could go...I'm weighing the possibility of making a crazy move, I've always wanted to live West Coast-ish, this would put me closer, but I have to find work fast (like within the next couple weeks). Anyone know what the job market is like in New Orleans? Or just west coastish in general? I checked the unemployment rate, it's pretty much equal with Massachusetts, but that probably doesn't give the whole picture. Texas is supposed to be real good, New Orleans isn't far away...

Edited by Era Might

No kidding, North Dakota has like the lowest unemployment rate and I heard jobs pay well there. Maybe you should send a couple of applications that way.

Edited by Light and Truth

No kidding, North Dakota has like the lowest unemployment rate and I heard jobs pay well there. Maybe you should send a couple of applications that way.

It doesn't sound like Era is looking for a job in the oil industry :lol:

Edited by ardillacid

You should get a job in fraccing, the most evil industry in the world!

Followed at a distant 2nd by the underage sex trafficking business. 

You should become self-employed, then make your job title "Filthy Capitalist".

Yeah I've watched enough episodes of Shark Tank to do it. Even watched it's redheaded Canadian cousin "Dragons' Den" bwahahahaha. Canadians are nice people.

Yeah I've watched enough episodes of Shark Tank to do it. Even watched it's redheaded Canadian cousin "Dragons' Den" bwahahahaha. Canadians are nice people.

Dragon's Den aired well before Shark Tank. Kevin O'Leary is awesome.

360_kevin_oleary_0904.jpg

Dragon's Den aired well before Shark Tank. Kevin O'Leary is awesome.

360_kevin_oleary_0904.jpg

Yeah but Dragons' Den was amateur hour and low money. Notice how on Sharks Tank they all dress in sharp business suits. On Dragons' Den it was business casual for most of the panel lol.

Edited by Era Might

Yeah but Dragons' Den was amateur hour and low money. Notice how on Sharks Tank they all dress in sharp business suits. On Dragons' Den it was business casual for most of the panel lol.

You have never seen downtown Calgary during Stampede. :hehe: I do not think there is anywhere in the world where you will see more millionaires in one place wearing cowboy boots and hats.

I am looking for work (in Massachusetts). It's not bad here, I think I will find something fairly quickly (professional jobs like sales, etc., not talking about labor-related jobs). I know someone in New Orleans where I could go...I'm weighing the possibility of making a crazy move, I've always wanted to live West Coast-ish, this would put me closer, but I have to find work fast (like within the next couple weeks). Anyone know what the job market is like in New Orleans? Or just west coastish in general? I checked the unemployment rate, it's pretty much equal with Massachusetts, but that probably doesn't give the whole picture. Texas is supposed to be real good, New Orleans isn't far away...

What industry/ discipline are you in?

I can assure you there is not much to find on the West Coast (California, etc.) other than maybe government gigs or maybe healthcare.

But it is all about what skill set you have.

What industry/ discipline are you in?

I can assure you there is not much to find on the West Coast (California, etc.) other than maybe government gigs or maybe healthcare.

But it is all about what skill set you have.

Marketing / communications (copywriting) / sales

Edited by Era Might

Marketing / communications (copywriting) / sales

I have much experience there....

Do you have a portfolio? If not, you need one.

Have you contacted head hunters? If not, contact some.

There are some good shops in MA (Arnold, MMB, etc.) and so-called integrated shops (Digitas, TMP) that you might want to knock on their doors.

New Orleans is definitely not a hot bed of advertising.