An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching On Infertility And Surrogacy

OnlySunshine

--I have a non-Catholic cousin who was recently diagnosed with a Stage II oligodendroglioma (brain tumor).  She had surgery in which the surgeon was able to remove 75% of the tumor.  After being given her options, she decided to use chemotherapy through pill form 5x a week for 6 weeks.  The oncologist brought up the issue of infertility and stated that 20-30% of patients who use chemotherapy are unable to conceive afterward.  He suggested that my cousin have her ova harvested, mixed with her husband's sperm, and then frozen for future use if necessary.  Being that they are not Catholic, they do not hold the same views that the Church does about the dignity and sacredness of human life.

--When this issue was brought up at lunch on Saturday, my other Catholic cousin stated that she would be willing to be a surrogate mother if my non-Catholic cousin was unable to conceive through other means.  I am pretty sure she does not know the teaching of the Catholic Church about surrogacy and IVF.

My pastor stated in Confession that I have a moral obligation to evangelize them but I don't know how without starting a debate -- either intentionally or unintentionally.  Worst of all, I don't know what to say to my non-Catholic cousin that doesn't appear like I'm pushing my beliefs on her.

How do I handle this?

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

You moral obligation is simply to present the Church's teaching. To your believing cousin I would simply ask if she knows what the Church teaching is on this matter.

Here is the official church teaching from Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith regarding in-vitro fertilization. 

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20081208_dignitas-personae_en.html

You are correct to believe such action as immoral. The reason being is that each child has a right to be conceived inside a loving conjugal act. Creating children in test tubes deprives them of so many rights and really complicates moral matters. Most children conceived this way end up as property of cooperations (aka slaves) remaining frozen for many years. Often they are also destroyed (murdered).  

Further (and slightly more complicated) is the fact that the frozen embryos after they have been (immorally) conceived outside the womb then have a right to be born.