An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confused (which Is Really Easy For Me)

cartermia

Hey everybody!

I am starting my discernment process even though I am only 13.  I have always had a special devotion to Immaculate Heart of Mary and to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  I think, key word THINK, I am being called to the religious life because I have had visions, if that is what they would be called.  I need advice so if anybody could help me please do so.

(thanks in advance)

You need to talk to a priest about whatever it is that you think you are seeing. 

Agreed.  And there are certain things that are meant to be kept private between a spiritual director (i.e. the suggestion of speaking with a priest) and oneself.

Not saying that what you experienced is true or false, but St. Ignatius is very wise -- and strongly suggests discerning where it is coming from with a wise spiritual director, to whom you don't keep anything secret.

Prayers,

AccountDeleted

I second or third the recommendation that you keep your visions between yourself and your spiritual director at this stage especially. If God does tell you to let others know - then run it by your SD first. I would hate to discourage the next St Bernadette, but the devil also uses visions - in order to increase pride and self-love. So take it easy and don't focus on them. They are only important in so much as they lead you into a deeper love for God and for the Church. At your age it is important to learn obedience to your parents and to the Church and to increase in holiness. When asked if he wanted to go visit a nun with the stigmata, St John of the Cross said that he would be very disappointed if his faith increased by the smallest amount because of such a thing. Faith beats visions any day.

As for the vocation... there is no harm in thinking and praying about it, but you are too young to enter any community, and many things could happen in your heart between now and then. We have a young man on here who was absolutely convinced that he was going to be a priest, but after a visit to a seminary and meeting with a young woman he felt attracted to, he decided that he is not called to the priesthood. So al I am saying is take it slow and enjoy being a child (which is what you are) and be the best daughter and student you can be right now.

So read and post here but just let your life unfold a little more before trying to make sense of it all.

Agreed.  And there are certain things that are meant to be kept private between a spiritual director (i.e. the suggestion of speaking with a priest) and oneself.

Not saying that what you experienced is true or false, but St. Ignatius is very wise -- and strongly suggests discerning where it is coming from with a wise spiritual director, to whom you don't keep anything secret.

Prayers,

I am trying to find someone (I know a guy in the semanary who has been helping me with this) but besides him then I don't know who I should go to.  I really don't agree with our 2 priest on everything, so it is kinda hard to talk to them about it.

ToJesusMyHeart

Also: http://heartsofjesusandmary.com/

"We are a contemplative community of religious priests, sisters, brothers and lay members, that serve the Hearts of Jesus and Mary through contemplation, Eucharistic adoration, and works of mercy and compassion. Through prayer, adoration and works of mercy we promote peace, love, devotion to God and mercy for all."

IMG_1421-e1348780522975.jpg

http://youtu.be/woksbWMs5QU

THE ORDER OF THE SACRED AND IMMACULATE HEARTS OF JESUS AND MARY

48765 ANNAPOLIS ROAD

HOPEDALE, OHIO 43976

TELEPHONE: (740) 946-9000

E-MAIL: TWOHEARTS1@MAC.COM

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

Hi cartermia!

I second what everyone is saying about not openly discussing your experiences (except with an SD of course). Both for the reason that they have not yet been deemed trustworthy and for the reason that if they are, then they are precious like a rare jewel.

Keep in contact with a spiritual director.. If your experiences are from God, He will send you a wise director to guide you through the mystical. Until you have found a director, do not pay much extra attention to your experiences. You may try making the sign of the Cross the next time this happens.

Blessed Advent!

Emma

Edited by emmaberry101

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Praying for you! It is a blessing that you feel called to the religious life at such a young age. I applaud you for wanting to take your discernment seriously and I am praying that you will be able to work with an SD about whatever you might be seeing.

Welcome to Phatmass.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

There are some order like the Apostles of Interior Life, who do Spiritual Direction and Vocation Discernment as there charism, you could see if they are near your area, you could talk to your Priest And find out if anyone in your Parish is trained as a Spititual Director. Finding a good SD can take some work, but the fruits of the labor are worth it. The IDEAL in my opinion is to find 3 or 4 prospective SDs and meet with each of them to test each other out, you might connect with one better, and maybe one connects with you so well it's like they can read your mind. You are still fairly young, so you might not have ALOT of choices due to travel time ect, talk with your parents about wanting to do some SD and maybe they can help you.

ToJesusMyHeart
There are some order like the Apostles of Interior Life, who do Spiritual Direction and Vocation Discernment as their charism, you could see if they are near your area, you could talk to your Priest And find out if anyone in your Parish is trained as a Spititual Director. Finding a good SD can take some work, but the fruits of the labor are worth it. The IDEAL in my opinion is to find 3 or 4 prospective SDs and meet with each of them to test each other out, you might connect with one better, and maybe one connects with you so well it's like they can read your mind. You are still fairly young, so you might not have ALOT of choices due to travel time ect, talk with your parents about wanting to do some SD and maybe they can help you.

My spiritual director is an Apostle of the Interior Life. As of right now, they are a smaller community (20+), and are only located in 4 cities:

1) College Station, Texas

2) Lawrence, Kansas

3) Kansas City, Kansas

4) Rome, Italy

So if you live in any of those, then I highly recommend seeking an Apostle to be your SD, but otherwise, try to follow the instructions in the above comment to find a good, holy SD. Any priest can be one, but not every priest is called to such ministry. 

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

Welcome to PM, cartermia.

I agree with what everyone before me has said, but I recognize that this probably isn't the response you expected. Don't be discouraged. If you are called to religious life, He will see you through to that end. In the meantime, focus on being where He's placed you now not just in body, but in mind and spirit, too. I have spoken to many sisters whose only regret is being so eager to enter religious life that they failed to be fully "present" with their families, friends, schoolwork, etc. Understand that He's placed you where you are now for a reason, and be with Him there. It's beautiful to look forward to religious life, even to begin pursuing it at your age (many of those sisters I mentioned did just that—precisely at age 13), but just be careful not to let it tear you away from enjoying where you're at right now.

:-)

So if you live in any of those, then I highly recommend seeking an Apostle to be your SD, but otherwise, try to follow the instructions in the above comment to find a good, holy SD. Any priest can be one, but not every priest is called to such ministry. 

I asked my SD (the priest at the parish I attend) if he had ever been a spiritual director before and he said yes but only for males.  He was kind enough, however, to take me under his wing without realizing he has his work cut out for him   :hehe2:

The most important thing is to really pray about it and then listen, listen, listen to what God is telling you.  Try to find a priest whom you feel comfortable with and then be completely open and honest.  He is there to guide you and help you figure out if these visions are authentic or not.  As for vocation discernment, focus on Jesus and He will lead you to your vocation, whether it be religious life, marriage, or consecrated single life but don't feel pressured or anxious because you are still pretty young.  I started discerning at 16 and I'm about to be 23 now and still haven't entered a community.  Patience is the key!

LouisvilleFan

Just going to throw out there that it's probably a good idea to have your parents involved in this process too. I would certainly want to know if one of my children was meeting with a spiritual director, considering a vocation, etc.

And most importantly for now, blessings for the remainder of Advent and a Merry Christmas!

ToJesusMyHeart
Just going to throw out there that it's probably a good idea to have your parents involved in this process too. I would certainly want to know if one of my children was meeting with a spiritual director, considering a vocation, etc.

And most importantly for now, blessings for the remainder of Advent and a Merry Christmas!

Yes, absolutely let your parents know. I kept my discernment secret from my parents for a long time because they were fallen away Catholics and I didn't think they would understand. But when I finally decided to let them know about it, that was part of the ignition for them to consider coming back into communion with the Church! God works in mysterious ways! It's the best Christmas present to have them back in communion.  :smile3:

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart