An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

the171

I used to just pray the simple Christian Prayer, but my vocation director gave me a four volume set about a month ago, and I have since been using that. What's up?

AccountDeleted

If it is a new set then it should come with a card that explains what prayers to use on what days and when.

I use the English 3 volume set but I used to have a 4 volume LOH and it seemed pretty straight forward. Is there something in particular that is confusing you?

AccountDeleted
I used Christian prayer previously and I really don't know how to maneuver it. Where should ribbons go?

Well, that depends on what you want to mark.

I use a lot of ribbons (extra ones as well) and mark the Invitatory, the Psalter, the Proper of Seasons (for Readings), the Magnificat and the Bendictus if I don't use the card for them, the Complementary Psalms and Hymns for them, the Common when necessary and the Proper of Saints when necessary. There are a few other things I mark as well like the Te Deum and Compline, some hymns (mainly for Compline plus the final anthems to the BVM).

Some religious use prayer cards, but I find they often fall out and then I lose my place. I have quite a few different colored ribbons and I have memorised the colors so can flip to a section quickly.

If you are just starting off you may want to start with marking the Psalter and Proper of Seasons and using the cards for things like the Magnificat and Benedictus and Te Deum etc. There is also a card for the Invitatory but I like to mark the book for this because it also has the antiphons to use.

There should be instructions for praying the LOH that came with the set... take time to read them and it could be helpful. The best thing of course would be to attend something like Vespers with a church or religious community, so you get the feel of how it is done.

It's a beautiful way to pray with the whole Church.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

There is also the opportunity if you don't have religious around, I've known of priest taking the time to meet some people in the church for their prayers for a few days to help them learn. A father I'm trying to figure out my LOTHs could I join you sometime in your prayers? Would be about right.

I also go over it with people over the phone for our Secular Group... and would be open to helping you if needed....

If you're using DivineOffice.org...   They can sometimes throw people off because they've made the decision to incorporate all the changes in the missal and lectionary into their on-line stuff... so the prayers won't match sometimes, etc.    Just go with the flow...

To Jesus Through Mary

Yeah, I know it is a little hard at first. But stick with it and you will get the hang of it. If you ever get stuck with a specific question through me a PM if you would like. I would be happy to try and help. I have been praying the 4 volume for while so I know it fairly well.

It is such a beautiful prayer. Well worth learning!! :)