An Old School Catholic Message Board

Goodness

Fidei Defensor

I believe in a universal right to equal dignity and happiness.  I believe that God is love, and that love is the desire to cause happiness, to redeem unhappiness, and to refrain from causing it.  That is the trajectory of civilization planted one cross at a time, and that is the basis for everything noble or beautiful in life.  If am wrong about that, then I know nothing, and I have wasted my life looking for truth.  I will only believe the Pope if I am disputed.

Huh?

Fidei Defensor
THIS! 

He is the standard- He tells us what goodness is through Scripture, Tradition, and of course natural law. 

Granted, if you always follow His example, murder would be permissible. 

Fidei Defensor
Why is God good?

Some would argue that "goodness" is an attribute of God (i.e. all-good.) 

If by why you mean "why is God "good" and not "evil," I don't think there'll be a sufficient answer if the only definition of good we have to go on is that which God does and commands of us.  

Some would argue that "goodness" is an attribute of God (i.e. all-good.) 

If by why you mean "why is God "good" and not "evil," I don't think there'll be a sufficient answer if the only definition of good we have to go on is that which God does and commands of us.  

Can one then not argue that good in an of itself does not exist as it is defined as dependent on something else, i.e. it is of God? Evil is not bad in a truly negative sense, it is just not of God.  This means we have no arbitrary sense of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

If one then rejects God, one has not reason by virtue of this view to hold to any sense of good and evil, yet some do and some recognize value of things, ideas, people, that might otherwise seem God-inspired. While this may be God's law written on thier hearts, there obviously some measure of free will and varying degrees of what is dependent on God for value, merit, moral worth, etc. just as there is a varying in who rejects God. Thus, those who do not reject some idea of what is good in llife (love, kindness, mercy, etc.) have not completely rejected God even though they may be ardent athiests, no?

Edited by Light and Truth

Why is "goodness" good? That is, is goodness defined by what God dictates, or is God bound, as "all-good," to only do good things because they are good?

Or more simply, is goodness from God or separate from God?

No one is good except God alone

Fidei Defensor
Can one then not argue that good in an of itself does not exist as it is defined as dependent on something else, i.e. it is of God? Evil is not bad in a truly negative sense, it is just not of God.  This means we have no arbitrary sense of right and wrong, good and evil, etc.

If one then rejects God, one has not reason by virtue of this view to hold to any sense of good and evil, yet some do and some recognize value of things, ideas, people, that might otherwise seem God-inspired. While this may be God's law written on thier hearts, there obviously some measure of free will and varying degrees of what is dependent on God for value, merit, moral worth, etc. just as there is a varying in who rejects God. Thus, those who do not reject some idea of what is good in llife (love, kindness, mercy, etc.) have not completely rejected God even though they may be ardent athiests, no?

This assumes that said atheists accept that definition of good. A common objection is that "good" is not an objective and stand-alone thing.

Granted, if you always follow His example, murder would be permissible. 

Hm...  

I think killing would not be wrong for God, but it would be wrong for us.

Hm...  

I think killing would not be wrong for God, but it would be wrong for us.

I think we can look at it this way only insofar as our lives are not our own, they belong to God, and thus He has the right to end our lives when He wills. This definitely isn't the same thing as sin though. God cannot commit any sin - it goes against His very essence. It's not as though God can murder, cheat, or steal without it being a sin for Him. There are some things (sinful things) it is not in His nature to do.