An Old School Catholic Message Board

College Campus Ministry Religious Communities

tinytherese

I'm looking to enter a community with this ministry, but for college and universities where religious do campus ministry whether at a Catholic school or a secular one. I'm looking at continuing my education.

I know that the Brotherhood of Hope do this at a few schools and the Nashville Dominicans do at Aquinas College, but does anyone know of any others?

ChristinaTherese

Hm.... I know that there is a sister at the Portland State University Newman Center, but I don't know what order she's in. She wears a bright blue habit, with a white collar and a white veil, as well as some sort of medal around her neck and a rosary (blue, I think) at her waist. I doubt that the veil's white because she's a novice, but I guess she could be one. There's a picture of her here: http://pdxcatholic.org/about/staff/ You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to her. Maybe someone else knows what order she's in? All I know is that it isn't the Trinitarians of Mary, because her veil is far too short.

I hope this helps a little....

petitpèlerin

I also wanted to mention the Franciscan Sisters TOR at Steubenville. Steubenville is a unique place because while some students are not Catholic or strong in their faith (yet . . . but they sure will be after four years there), the culture of the university is intensely Catholic/New Evangelization/Charismatic.

While it's not their exclusive apostolate, the Apostolic Sisters of the Community of St John do some campus ministry. Their apostolic focus is on evangelizing youth and young adults, usually in the form of camps and retreats, but they do whatever is needed in the local diocese of each priory. Some of the sisters in East Orange, New Jersey run campus ministries in the Newark area, at secular universities in a rough urban area. Likewise, the brothers in Laredo, Texas run campus ministry at Texas A&M International University, and they're expanding, so I wouldn't be surprised if the sisters set up a priory there sometime, too. Right now the first generation of American apostolic sisters are in formation in France, and they just opened a novitiate in the US this fall so more will be following. The Community has ongoing education in philosophy and theology for all its members, and they're good about placing members in the kind of work where they feel called. http://www.communityofstjohn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55:orange-sisters&catid=36:orange&Itemid=60

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

While not a major part of their Charism, I know the Sisters of St Joseph, do have a few sisters on university and college campuses, doing SD and helping Campus Ministry in general. Their primary work is in Social Justice, They do not currently wear habbits.

http://www.csjkansas.org/

Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist have 2 Sisters attending Ave Maria University in Naples, FL where they have campus ministry.  They probably have other colleges in their ministry, too.

Congregation of Mary Queen has at least one campus minister.

Servants of the Pierced Hearts of Jesus and Mary participate in campus ministry.

Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows have a presence at University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Daughters of St. Dominic offer pastoral assistance to students at Franciscan University of Steubenville.

Oblate Sisters of St. Francis de Sales minister to students at DeSales University.

School Sisters of St. Francis (Panhandle Franciscans) run retreats at Texas A&M University.

I would not advice Sisters of St Joseph with a lot of dissidents among them especially the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace...It breaks my heart that social justice is used as a tool in advancing women priest, anti-war rhetoric, pro gay marriage cause, liberation theology gearing towards Marxism..

However I'm quite happy that their is the Apostles of Interior Life which has a very vibrant presence in two campuses here in the US. I'm praying that this year will bring a lot of vocation to this orthodox order

Meet a sister in formation:

http://www.apostlesofil.com/vocations/meet-someone-in-discernment/tatum

and a sister already in final vows

http://www.apostlesofil.com/about/sisters-vocational-stories/josephine

http://www.apostlesofil.com/about/sisters-vocational-stories/debbie

PadrePioOfPietrelcino
I would not advice Sisters of St Joseph with a lot of dissidents among them especially the Sisters of St Joseph of Peace...It breaks my heart that social justice is used as a tool in advancing women priest, anti-war rhetoric, pro gay marriage cause, liberation theology gearing towards Marxism..

However I'm quite happy that their is the Apostles of Interior Life which has a very vibrant presence in two campuses here in the US. I'm praying that this year will bring a lot of vocation to this orthodox order

I am sorry that I disagree with you in part. The Sisters of Saint Joseph may have some problems with dissidents, there may be many struggles for someone who chooses to discern and join this order, but I refuse to say I won't recommend them. I personally have known half a dozen Sisters from this oder over the last 8 years of joining the Church. Have I agreed with them on everything? No. Did they all love Jesus and His Church? As far as I could tell. Were they faithful to the Magisterium? The ones I met were. Did they encourage people to actively participate in the liturgy in any capacity they find themselves? Yes. Did they encourage individuals to learn Latin, Liturgical Music, attend the EF if felt drawn there? Yes. I have I ever hears one of these sisters defend incorrect teaching? yes,one did, in particular birth control, and unfortunately due to their ages they are not going to trust a young single man to change their opinion, rather a good faithful young woman...perhaps. Have I heard any of these sisters support the idea of a married Priesthood? yes, two did, but not forcefully. Have any of these sisters ever supported the idea of Ordained Women? perhaps, but I have never encountered such a thing.

My point is that we should be cautious in our judgement, and we should not discount a whole order based on struggles or problems. I hope the Archdiocese will accept my application for Seminary DESPITE my many faults, and likewise I accept the Archdiocese despite whatever faults it may have. Often times we forget that some of these more liberal orders were not always thus, and sometimes good faithful conservatives need to remember that just as an order can move to the liberal side it can move back towards the conservative as well. Perhaps somebody is called to this order to help it be all that God calls it to be.

as for the Apostles of Interior Life...AWESOME order. I absolutely love them. My first SD was a Sister Susan, and when I went to the March For Life in 2005, The whole Lawrence house went with us. What a great job these Sisters do. I am kicking myself that I did not include them in my original thoughts and post on this thread.

A Yearning Heart

The Beatitudes community has some campus ministry-I think in New Zealand but are in other locations as well, though that isn't their only ministry. I think its a blend of active carmelite, with a strong emphasis on charisms, and something Jewish while also being faithful to the Office and the Sacraments. They have lay, religious and priests in the community, and is a fairly new community.  http://www.the-beatitudes.org/Until-now?artsuite=3 I think Fr Jacques Phillippe is one of them (author of some awesome books)