An Old School Catholic Message Board

Congregation Of The Divine Spirit Sisters In Canton, Ohio

Gabriela

http://www.sempercaritas.org/

Someone posted a blurb about a community that is on the verge of collapse due to a lack of new vocations. That can be said for this community as well. They are an American foundation, in habit, engaging in elder care and teaching. Their motherhouse is in Canton, Ohio, where they have their elder-care facility, called the House of Loreto. They accept the elderly regardless of ability to pay. They have a very large volunteer support network, and are much-loved in their community. They pray every day for new vocations, just after Mass, but they have not had a new one in over 20 years.

I interviewed them. They are lovely women. And considering the importance of their work in a country with very little public support for the elderly and an entire generation of Baby Boomers coming into retirement, I am seriously concerned that their work may be brought to an end by their lack of vocations.

If you have a heart for the elderly, please, look into them. Their community has one MAJOR perk: Whenever a sister's parents need to enter a nursing home, they can be brought to the House of Loreto. This makes this community an outstanding option for single children who would not otherwise have any way to care for their own aging parents upon entering religious life.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or of course, to contact their community directly.

God send them a flood of vocations soon...

Wow, I would not have thought that this community was in need of new vocations.  I honestly thought they were newer and I didn't know much about them at all.  I hope they get interested candidates soon!  :pray:

Yeah, regarding the age limit, I really think that this should be disregarded. Just contact them if you're interested.

Ok..that is a good idea. I will check in with them when I come back from my come and see with the sisters.

Thank you Curiousing for giving us a heads up on them. some communities need all the visibility they can get.

I very much like these threads. Please if anyone knows of other communities in dire need of Vocations would they share them. If I were free to enter and eligible I would definitely look into them. In the meantime as Nikita says the exposure can only help them. :)