An Old School Catholic Message Board

Argument From Degree (of Perfection)

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

Originally formulated by Aquinas, it goes as follows:

The fourth proof arises from the degrees that are found in things. For there is found a greater and a less degree of goodness, truth, nobility, and the like. But more or less are terms spoken of various things as they approach in diverse ways toward something that is the greatest, just as in the case of hotter (more hot) that approaches nearer the greatest heat. There exists therefore something that is the truest, and best, and most noble, and in consequence, the greatest being. For what are the greatest truths are the greatest beings, as is said in the Metaphysics Bk. II. 2. What moreover is the greatest in its way, in another way is the cause of all things of its own kind (or genus); thus fire, which is the greatest heat, is the cause of all heat, as is said in the same book (cf. Plato and Aristotle). Therefore there exists something that is the cause of the existence of all things and of the goodness and of every perfection whatsoever—and this we call God.

Or more simply stated:

1. Objects have properties to greater or lesser extents.
  2. If an object has a property to a lesser extent, then there exists some other object that has the property to the maximum possible degree.
  3. So there is an entity that has all properties to the maximum possible degree.
  4. Hence God exists.

How do you feel about this argument?

Edited by tardis ad astra

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

st thereses of liseux, words to this effect "a cup that is full is no less full than a bucket that is full, both are full to capacity and happy."

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Which gets me to thinking about being perfect like the father is perfect and what that statement means to me. It just means to me to be open to whatever GOD wills you to be in gifts spiritually and temporaly and that he will purify you to become the perfect human in such paticular regards, but not the perfect GOD for there is only one GOD. If we look at sacred scripture as a musical score there are parts for trumpets, parts for violins and parts for drums etc etc. Find out which instrument you play and allow GOD to teach you to play that part as perfectly as possible for a human. Than does it categorise to some perfectly playing there trumpet may not be the same as somone else perfectly playing the trumpet. One trumpeter may be a cup and the other trumpeter a bucket. Some may learn to play various instruments perfectly some only 1, GOD promised he knows how much each can handle and that anything else is from the devil.Well there you go thats some thoughts of mine on perfection. :) These musings come neither with the nihil obstant or impri potest or imprimateur, so pray about it and talk about it. :) Oh and ahoy all, am back from rehab clean and sober alleluia. Greetings brothers and sisters in the name of our lord jesus christ.

Fidei Defensor

My beef with the argument is that "perfection" in the day to day world is very subjective and one could make the argument that there doesn't have to be an ultimate perfection in order to have degrees of perfection, only that we simply need differing opinions on what we view as perfection.

My beef with the argument is that "perfection" in the day to day world is very subjective and one could make the argument that there doesn't have to be an ultimate perfection in order to have degrees of perfection, only that we simply need differing opinions on what we view as perfection.

If I were going to defend Aquinas' argument, I would respond by saying that the fact that we have a hard time agreeing on perfection actually indicates that we have a hard time recognizing perfection. Perhaps because cannot directly experience it in its full sense.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

i wasn't saying all truth is relative though,just because you believe something doesn't make it true.The rehab i was in was trying to convince me of that, that all truth is relative. Blue is blue and yellow is yellow, there may be various shades of yellow but it still be yellow.