Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Roe v. Wade became law of the land
Charles Manson's followers murdered actress Sharon Tate, her unborn baby and others
The gay-rights movement was born.
Ted Kennedy's was driving on Chappaquiddick
"Sesame Street" and "The Brady Bunch" debuted on TV
Woodstock, the epic four-day rock festival
Neil Armstrong's walked on the moon.
The first flight of the supersonic, superfast Concorde took place.


Gasoline cost 35 cents a gallon
Average cost new car was $3,270
Average yearly income per year: $8,550
Average monthly rent was $135

Edited by add
homeschoolmom
Posted

 Are you under the impression that it's 2009? All of those things happened in 1969 (with the exception of the first).

 

 

Posted
Roe v. Wade

US Troops withdrawn from Vietnam and U.S. involvement in Vietnam War ends with the signing of peace

Arab members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), announce they will restrict flow of crude oil to countries supporting Israel on October 17th causing price of oil to increase by 200%

Alaska Oil Pipeline bill is passed to allow construction of a pipeline to access oil from the North Slope of Alaska

World Trade Center in New York becomes the tallest building in the world

Armed members of the American Indian Movement and their supporters seize the old town of Wounded Knee in South Dakota

US GDP (1998 dollars): $1,382.60 billion
Federal spending: $245.71 billion
Federal debt: $466.3 billion
Median Household Income
(current dollars): $10,512

Fixed it
Posted
 Are you under the impression that it's 2009? All of those things happened in 1969 (with the exception of the first).

 

Yep, except for the first thing

Now after 40 years, this procedure is affordable, albeit this financing for the “first thing” may violate the first amendment, as far as some Catholic’s are concerned.

Posted
Roe v. Wade became law of the land
Charles Manson's followers murdered actress Sharon Tate, her unborn baby and others
The gay-rights movement was born.
Ted Kennedy's was driving on Chappaquiddick
"Sesame Street" and "The Brady Bunch" debuted on TV
Woodstock, the epic four-day rock festival
Neil Armstrong's walked on the moon.
The first flight of the supersonic, superfast Concorde took place.


Gasoline cost 35 cents a gallon
Average cost new car was $3,270
Average yearly income per year: $8,550
Average monthly rent was $135

 

Gas was 35 cents when  was a kid.

homeschoolmom
Posted
Gas was 35 cents when  was a kid.

 

Me too.

PhuturePriest
Posted

Apparently gas used to be a dollar fifty when I was younger. I had no clue it was ever that low. When I started paying attention to gas prices I was ten, and that was during all the total economic doom threats.

Posted

American gas prices screw me up so badly. First I need to convert gallons to liters, then USD to CAD. THEN I have to take into account how much of the price difference is because of taxes. Too much to keep track of.

 

Gas in Calgary right now is generally between $1.00 and $1.20 per liter, which works out to $3.79-$4.54 CAD per gallon, which is $3.82-$4.58 USD per gallon. Looks like that is about $0.50 per gallon more in Canada at the moment, give or take.

 

If I remember my oil and gas industry correctly, most of the refineries are in the US, which means some of that price difference is due to transport costs, but I would imagine that the bulk of it is taxes.

Posted

i live in Tulsa. I pay $2.80 a gallon give or take. Of course this is the land of black gold so ...

Posted

It is kind of ironic considering how much oil comes straight out of western Canada. But we do not have the refining capabilities at the moment, by and large. Not on that scale, as I understand it. That is why pipelines are such a big issue.

homeschoolmom
Posted

I remember going with my mom to get our '69 Ford Galaxy filled and getting change back from a ten. And of course, it was full service.

 

I'm guessing gas prices was not the intended topic of this thread, though.

Posted

I remember driving a '68 VW bug and only putting in $3 and that was in the 80s.

 

The average price of a new car in 1973 was $3,200.

homeschoolmom
Posted
I remember driving a '68 VW bug and only putting in $3 and that was in the 80s.

 

The average price of a new car in 1973 was $3,200.

 

It wasn't a yellow convertible, was it? My dream car is a 1968 yellow VW bug convertible....

Posted

Who remebers that all gas stations were Full Service ONLY!  You never had to get out of the car at a gas station. 

 

Remember the Shell commerical where the guy was bringing his date home, had to stop for gas, only had 25cents and they put the gas in, check his fluids and air, clean his windshied, and put the gas in the car while he's tapping on the window with the quarter?

Posted
20 Jan 1973
Richard Nixon's second inauguration

it didn't end well

Posted
It wasn't a yellow convertible, was it? My dream car is a 1968 yellow VW bug convertible....

 

beetle_big.jpg

homeschoolmom
Posted

Sweet.

Full-service only... ah... yeah...

PhuturePriest
Posted
Sweet.

Full-service only... ah... yeah...

 

I've never been to a place where the workers pumped the gas for you. I didn't even know they used to do that until a few years ago.

Posted

I get so amused by U.S. news stories about the gas going up so many cents over the past couple weeks.  There are times in Canada where the price jumped 10-15 cents/litre in a day - so about 40cents/gallon, and then go up the next day too.

Posted

40 years latter...

Cuomo is pushing for a massive expansion of access to abortion in the state, including lifting restrictions on third-trimester abortions, allowing non-doctors to perform the procedure, and enshrining a fundamental right to “terminate a pregnancy” in New York state law.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...