An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Long Do I Have To Wait?

Annie12

I sent a vocational inquiry to the order I am looking at and they haven't replied yet. I sent it last week. How long do I have to wait? Did they get my inquiry? Is something wrong?

Waiting is horrible, isn't it?! While a week is not that long, it couldn't hurt to send an email "Just a follow-up to my recent enquiry, yaddayaddayadda". Fingers crossed that you get a response soon!

I would wait a few more days and if you don't hear anything back then send them an email (or use some other way to contact them). Just remember Sisters run on "convent time" which means stuff like emails and such don't get answered as fast as we are used to. It is good to check in though if it has been close to two weeks, sometimes those electronic forms can stop working and the Sisters may not even know. I think this happened to the Summit OPs not too long ago.

I sent a vocational inquiry to the order I am looking at and they haven't replied yet. I sent it last week. How long do I have to wait? Did they get my inquiry? Is something wrong?

I've waited several months before hearing anything.  The general rule of thumb is 2-3 weeks before trying to contact them.  Did you email it?  Some orders don't check email very often.  It's best to either call or send a snail mail letter.  :)

One week?! 

It took months for me to hear from some orders. Consider:

1) The sister who checks email may not check it every day.

2) The sister who checks email may not be the Vocations Directress. She'll have to take it to the Vocations Directress.

3) The Vocations Directress may need to talk to the Abbess or the Novice Mistress—or both—about how to respond.

4) If multiple people are involved, they may have a meeting one day a week where they discuss all the inquiries they received since the past meeting.

5) EVERYONE involved is probably going to pray on it for a while to know how to respond.

6) Once it's been decided how to respond, the Vocations Directress may have to go back through the sister who sends email.

7) After all that, they may prefer to respond by post.

8) Monastery/convent computers crash a lot (in my experience) and there is rarely someone on hand who knows how to get them back up quickly.

9) Even if the Vocations Directress is the one who checks email, checks it every day, doesn't need to consult with anyone else, gets an answer from God the first time she asks, responds by email, and has a perfectly functioning OS with ethernet... even then: EVERYTHING moves slower in a religious community!

Put simply: You never know how these things work in a community, so relax, and go watch this: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126809-a-song-for-impatient-discerners/

One week?! 

It took months for me to hear from some orders. Consider:

1) The sister who checks email may not check it every day.

2) The sister who checks email may not be the Vocations Directress. She'll have to take it to the Vocations Directress.

3) The Vocations Directress may need to talk to the Abbess or the Novice Mistress—or both—about how to respond.

4) If multiple people are involved, they may have a meeting one day a week where they discuss all the inquiries they received since the past meeting.

5) EVERYONE involved is probably going to pray on it for a while to know how to respond.

6) Once it's been decided how to respond, the Vocations Directress may have to go back through the sister who sends email.

7) After all that, they may prefer to respond by post.

8) Monastery/convent computers crash a lot (in my experience) and there is rarely someone on hand who knows how to get them back up quickly.

9) Even if the Vocations Directress is the one who checks email, checks it every day, doesn't need to consult with anyone else, gets an answer from God the first time she asks, responds by email, and has a perfectly functioning OS with ethernet... even then: EVERYTHING moves slower in a religious community!

Put simply: You never know how these things work in a community, so relax, and go watch this: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/126809-a-song-for-impatient-discerners/

This is totally off-topic, but, if I ever enter a convent, I'll bet that I'm the one that ends up fixing the computer if it crashes.  :hehe2:

My mom and dad rely on me to fix their electronic troubles and have told other members of the family.  Anytime my dad is in the next room with the computer and I hear him calling me, I am like 99.9% sure that the computer is having issues.  :hehe2:

This is totally off-topic, but, if I ever enter a convent, I'll bet that I'm the one that ends up fixing the computer if it crashes.  :hehe2:

My mom and dad rely on me to fix their electronic troubles and have told other members of the family.  Anytime my dad is in the next room with the computer and I hear him calling me, I am like 99.9% sure that the computer is having issues.  :hehe2:

Yeah, in all the communities I've interviewed in, visited, or corresponded with, the sister working the computer was invariably under 35. If she was older, she had an "assistant sister" who was usually in her 20s.

LOL.

One other thing to think about - a lot of communities cut back on email and regular letters during Lent.  So... I'd do my follow-up in time for it to get there BEFORE Ash Wed. if I could...  just a thought...

TheLordsSouljah

What order?

And mine took about a month for a reply from SOL... It depends on how busy they are I guess....

Yeah, same with me. And every day felt like forever, I tell you! I think patience is definitely the first virtue that they test you on.