An Old School Catholic Message Board

Organ Donation

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

35 years as a nurse- it is legit!! :-)

Woot!

Yeah, so I always thought it'd be cool to give a kidney or something if a good friend needed a transplant or something... Maybe that's just weird of me. Anywho, I was just curious whether it was even possible.

Also, I had a small pulmonary embolism in September. Would a medical history like that change my ability to give a lung?

FutureCarmeliteClaire

35 years as a nurse- it is legit!! :-)

Woot!

Yeah, so I always thought it'd be cool to give a kidney or something if a good friend needed a transplant or something... Maybe that's just weird of me. Anywho, I was just curious whether it was even possible.

Also, I had a small pulmonary embolism in September. Would a medical history like that change my ability to give a lung?

Woot!

The overall health of the donor is utmost concern.  pulmonary embolism, while it may have been minor, would be of such a concern that they may not let you donate bone marrow much less a lung.

God the Father

I feel like you'd definitely get really, really fat after donating a lung. Unless the other one doubled in capacity in response.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I feel like you'd definitely get really, really fat after donating a lung. Unless the other one doubled in capacity in response.

You have to be dead to be a lung donor.

God the Father

You have to be dead to be a lung donor.

No wonder I'd never heard of it in this context before. Anyway, I was told by an organ donation campaigner 5 or so years ago that post-mortem donations are the responsibility of your next-of-kin, and that's the bottom line, and it's one's own responsbility to communicate one's wishes to that person beforehand, so that they know. (The little insignia on your driver's license, for instance, according to the woman, was just a "clue" for them.) And even so, it's fully within their right to disregard them, no matter the age of the deceased. That may have changed in the meantime, or it could have been wrong, I guess you can defer to the posters above who probably know better than me.

Edited by God the Father