Beati Pacifici Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 So I've recently begun a quest, so to speak, to grow a beard and I was wondering if any one here who has a killer beard or goatee has some tips for growing or maintaining one. Right now it is still in the beginning stage, but hopefully it will be able to compete with the likes of St. Cyril one day :-D
Lil'Monster Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 I am sorry.....I don't know how to grow a beard.......lol
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 I will post when I am home from work. I have been maintaining a beard for several years.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 I will post when I am home from work. I have been maintaining a beard for several years.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 Ok, home from work. So I have been growing a beard since 2009. I shaved it once, I think in mid 2010, but grew it back right away. When I do it, the first 2-3 weeks are pretty awful in terms of itchiness, and then that goes away and I am home free. After that, about 4-6 weeks down the road the major annoyance would be accidentally getting a mouthful of moustache while eating. There really is not anything you can do about that besides trim your moustache, and I do not do that, so it is just something I have to live with. In terms of style, you can do anything between trimming it every day, and never trimming it. I usually clean up the edges about once a month, and give it a good trim into whatever style I want every two months or so. Up until a week ago I was trimming the beard to a point, Tsar Nicholas II style, but since we were doing engagement photos last week I trimmed off the point. :P I will grow it back after the wedding this summer. Here is the point: At the end of the day, some people are just not able to grow decent beards. Some beards will just always look patchy and weird. If you are one of those people, then it will take a heck of a lot of work to get it looking acceptable, but I suppose it is a challenge worth undertaking. :smile3: On the other hand, some people have a really easy time growing facial hair. I do- it grows fairly fast for me, and it comes in nice and thick. Good luck.
Beati Pacifici Posted February 27, 2013 Author Posted February 27, 2013 (edited) I used to have bad luck with patchiness a long time ago, but now it actually grows quite well (one reason I am keeping it :) ). The itchiness is the worst though. I grew a beard one time (in 2010) and about wanted to scratch my skin off. lol. The major thing I was concerned about was the trimming though, so thank you for the tips on that! Btw, that beard is boss. . .never shave it! lol Now my question is. . .should I go old school or Ramses style :smile3: Edited February 27, 2013 by Beati Pacifici
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 This Ramses? Would take a lot of work. :P
Beati Pacifici Posted February 27, 2013 Author Posted February 27, 2013 One and the same! :D I love his beard! So cool! But yeah, a good 3 years or so. . .lol.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 Tsar Nicholas II has been my inspiration since I started growing it. I promised my fianceé to have a normal hairstyle for the wedding, but as soon as that is out of the way I will get right back to the Tsar cut. :smile3:
Beati Pacifici Posted February 27, 2013 Author Posted February 27, 2013 It's so bushy. . .and wavy. . .yet, so dignified. AMAZING.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 Speaking of the Tsar, I always find this picture very cheering: Apparently it is just him and his friend goofing around in 1899. So he was even already Tsar at the time, if the source I read is correct in that date.
Beati Pacifici Posted February 27, 2013 Author Posted February 27, 2013 (edited) LAME PUN ALERT: Looks like he has a great "Tsense" of humor. Edited February 27, 2013 by Beati Pacifici
Papist Posted February 27, 2013 Posted February 27, 2013 I experience exactly what Nihil stated. I will add that I keep a soft bandanna in my back pocket for wiping my mustache after taking a drink............. beer. Here's me Easter Sunday 2012. Here's me at the Phatmass Meet-up May 2012 As you can see, it can get shabby quick. Need to invest in a beard trimmer. For me, I need to keep my neck and just under the cheek bones groomed. I tapper that area from cheek bone to neck. I have my beard go down to the neck, just above the adam's apple. I'll take a pic after my next trim, which is due soon. I think stopping the beard just below (or at) the cheek bone looks awful.
Beati Pacifici Posted February 28, 2013 Author Posted February 28, 2013 (edited) Killer beard! Thanks for the tip too. I must avoid falling into the neard trap, so a trimmer is a must. lol. EDIT: A little on the neck is fine. . .but I don't want it to be unruly! LOL Edited February 28, 2013 by Beati Pacifici
PhuturePriest Posted February 28, 2013 Posted February 28, 2013 Something tells me I'll either have patchy beard syndrome for the rest of my life, or at least for a long while. But that's okay. I'm a clean-shaven type myself. The only time I planned to grow an epic beard was when I wanted to be a Friar.
Nihil Obstat Posted February 28, 2013 Posted February 28, 2013 Something tells me I'll either have patchy beard syndrome for the rest of my life, or at least for a long while. But that's okay. I'm a clean-shaven type myself. The only time I planned to grow an epic beard was when I wanted to be a Friar. Many people face serious handicaps in their lives. I am proud of you for your attitude in dealing with your own. :console:
xTrishaxLynnx Posted February 28, 2013 Posted February 28, 2013 So I've recently begun a quest, so to speak, to grow a beard and I was wondering if any one here who has a killer beard or goatee has some tips for growing or maintaining one. Right now it is still in the beginning stage, but hopefully it will be able to compete with the likes of St. Cyril one day :-D I can't really picture Elvis with a beard... :think:
Beati Pacifici Posted February 28, 2013 Author Posted February 28, 2013 I can't really picture Elvis with a beard... :think: Ran out of props. lol.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now