An Old School Catholic Message Board

Grace Builds On Nature

dUSt

God works with what is already present. I'm gentle and a bit of a dreamer. This is part of my God-given makeup, though I might with utter ferocity defend what I believe to be true, it probably won't ever, no matter how much of the "boldness of the Holy Ghost" I have been given, an especially aggressive Alpha-Male kind of way. It will be in my gentle, wordy, nerdy way--and very high on the subjective rather than ontological/objective facts of the matter.

Edited by Evangetholic

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

In my interpretation I feel like that can be seen in various ways. But the most prominent way to me is being in Nature itself. Being in God's creation, appreciating and being humbled by the beauty of it is what brings me peace and grace. It's a way God recharges my faith batteries for me, by showing me his beauty and how to find that in all things.

In my interpretation I feel like that can be seen in various ways. But the most prominent way to me is being in Nature itself. Being in God's creation, appreciating and being humbled by the beauty of it is what brings me peace and grace. It's a way God recharges my faith batteries for me, by showing me his beauty and how to find that in all things.

That really is a lovely sentiment, but that's not what the phrase refers to, and I don't mean that as a criticism.  "Grace builds on nature" means that God's grace, given to us to sanctify us and draw us more and more into towards the Triune God, does not destroy our own human nature; rather, it takes our created human nature and raises it, allowing us to partake in the divine nature. 

At least, that's my understanding.  I'm sort of parroting what I've heard though, I'll try and come back later and explain better.  If one of the other theologian types around here could correct anything inaccurate I've said, I'd be much obliged.  

The Wikipedia article on Divinization has some relevant material from Aquinas and other saints.  Specifically, look at the Roman Catholic section.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinization_(Christian)

Edited by Amppax

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

That really is a lovely sentiment, but that's not what the phrase refers to, and I don't mean that as a criticism.  "Grace builds on nature" means that God's grace, given to us to sanctify us and draw us more and more into towards the Triune God, does not destroy our own human nature; rather, it takes our created human nature and raises it, allowing us to partake in the divine nature. 

At least, that's my understanding.  I'm sort of parroting what I've heard though, I'll try and come back later and explain better.  If one of the other theologian types around here could correct anything inaccurate I've said, I'd be much obliged.  

The Wikipedia article on Divinization has some relevant material from Aquinas and other saints.  Specifically, look at the Roman Catholic section.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divinization_(Christian)

See I knew there would be other references and interpretations. Thank you for bringing that new understanding to my attention. 

I've read that "grace builds on nature" is another way of saying that God's grace transforms our flawed nature into something beautiful instead of just "covering up" our flawed nature--which is a common Protestant belief.