An Old School Catholic Message Board

How In The World...

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli

I'm just exploring the possible calls from God, and one I have thought about a lot lately is founding a new order in an area with high need. I was wondering if any of you have looked into such a task, because I'm curious how one would accomplish such a difficult task. To start off, you're the only one so far who has expressed an interest in this order! And second, you have to get a convent, habits, and make the name, charism/apostolate, etc. It just seems near impossible. 
But it has been done before! Many times! Recently, the Franciscans of the Eucharist in Chicago have been founded. And Sisters of Life is pretty new as well.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea how these orders were put together so well... If there are any sisters from these orders, I would LOVE to get in contact with you!

I wanted to talk to you guys before jumping into contacting the orders. I'm not 00% serious about creating my own order as of yet, but it is something I want to discern.

Thanks and God bless!

~Kylie

There has been lots of past discussions on here before about that topic! Just need to search for it.

Yeah I've always been curious as to how it actually happens as well

I'm pretty sure the Holy Spirit gets the ball rolling. ;-)

For most orders how it starts is you begin by living the life (your charism). You don't have to worry about peripheral things like a habit or a convent or the official name of your order until well after your ministry is established.

SisterSnowflake

The Institute on Religious Life is GREAT!!  I got their packet "Guidelines for Forming a New Religious Community", which is incredibly helpful!

After nearly 20 years as a Sister of St. Joseph, I am convinced that the SSJ charism is so needed in our world today, but also that a renewed SSJ congregation needs to be created.  One (among MANY) things that I love about the SSJ is the belief that there is "no founder other than Jesus & Mary".  It troubles me when I read "I'm the founder!" on many start up groups...maybe that is just my SSJness coming through, but focusing on a particular person feels "icky" to me.

OnlySunshine

This is something I've considered doing myself because I was looking for a particular charism that wasn't around.  I love both Augustinian and Franciscan charisms.  I thought a mixture of them would be really kewl!  I started writing the plans on MS Word but I don't expect it will come to fruition. 

So...Sister Snowflake...if you don't like the title of "founder/ress of a congregation...what should a person be called?

SisterSnowflake

So...Sister Snowflake...if you don't like the title of "founder/ress of a congregation...what should a person be called?

I don't think new groups should focus on "the founder"...they should focus on Christ. After many years and the death of the founder, mentioning the founder or dedicating a significant space in websites and/or publications seems appropriate.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that Mother Teresa did not make a big deal or even a mention of herself as the foundress of the Missionaries of Charity.

SSJ often talk about "our first Sisters".

Focusing on a living person can quickly and easily become a "cult of personality", as mentioned in another recent thread.

SisterSnowflake

I don't think new groups should focus on "the founder"...they should focus on Christ. After many years and the death of the founder, mentioning the founder or dedicating a significant space in websites and/or publications seems appropriate.

I don't know this for sure, but I suspect that Mother Teresa did not make a big deal or even a mention of herself as the foundress of the Missionaries of Charity.

SSJ often talk about "our first Sisters".

Focusing on a living person can quickly and easily become a "cult of personality", as mentioned in another recent thread.

Duly noted! Does it have to be New Groups? ..I kind of equate the same thing..with Mother Mary Francis of the PCC of Roswell NM. Even though she has passed away..I feel the majority of the focus of this particular community seems to be related to her.

SisterSnowflake

Duly noted! Does it have to be New Groups? ..I kind of equate the same thing..with Mother Mary Francis of the PCC of Roswell NM. Even though she has passed away..I feel the majority of the focus of this particular community seems to be related to her.

I have read some of Mother Mary Francis...great stuff! However, I am not familiar with her community, so I can't comment.