Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Autumn Dusk
Posted

Whence did it come, if not by canon law? From what I've read, 1917 was the first it was required.


And I'm sorry if this seems completely immature and disrespectful (God knows the disposition of my heart, TYVM), but I think if women are covering their heads, men should, too. Kippahs, anyone?

 

You know what's funny is that after watching a bar and bat mitzfa my friends then 5yo sun became obsessed with wearing a yamacca.  He said that since Jews were his ancestors he was going to wear it when praying because they did.

 

It's funny because his parents are very normative Catholics...his mom dosn't head cover  nor does anyone at their church.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

You know what's funny is that after watching a bar and bat mitzfa my friends then 5yo sun became obsessed with wearing a yamacca.  He said that since Jews were his ancestors he was going to wear it when praying because they did.

 

It's funny because his parents are very normative Catholics...his mom dosn't head cover  nor does anyone at their church.

Yarmulke?

PhuturePriest
Posted

Whence did it come, if not by canon law? From what I've read, 1917 was the first it was required.


And I'm sorry if this seems completely immature and disrespectful (God knows the disposition of my heart, TYVM), but I think if women are covering their heads, men should, too. Kippahs, anyone?

 

I'm not opposed to wearing a kippah or something like it. But that goes against Western tradition. In western Tradition, women cover up out of humility (Hiding their beauty), and men take off head coverings when they pray out of humility, which is why you'll see men take off their hats when they are about to pray or enter a church.

Nihil Obstat
Posted

I'm not opposed to wearing a kippah or something like it. But that goes against Western tradition. In western Tradition, women cover up out of humility (Hiding their beauty), and men take off head coverings when they pray out of humility, which is why you'll see men take off their hats when they are about to pray or enter a church.

I think this is more accurate if we say that it goes against Christian tradition, since that includes Eastern Christianity.

Posted (edited)

I think it's unfortunate that women no longer veil, and not because I have any obsession with enforcing rules at church (I try to mind my own business when I'm at church), but I think it's a reflection of the loss of cult in society. We are a thoroughly commercialized and industrialized people, and religion is a privatized affair. I don't dress up when I go to church, so I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I would like to see veils return to church, but I fear it's almost impossible to do without creating a pharasaical atmosphere. I know, because while I would like to dress better when I go to Mass, I have a natural revulsion to becoming one of "those people," and I imagine it's somewhat the same with women and veils.

Edited by Era Might
PhuturePriest
Posted

I think this is more accurate if we say that it goes against Christian tradition, since that includes Eastern Christianity.

 

But it doesn't go against Eastern tradition. In some Eastern Catholic Churches you'll see men covering up with shemaghs and all sorts of things.

Nihil Obstat
Posted (edited)

But it doesn't go against Eastern tradition. In some Eastern Catholic Churches you'll see men covering up with shemaghs and all sorts of things.

Not during Mass, I think. At least not that I have ever seen before.

 

I think Apo can comment on this.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
ToJesusMyHeart
Posted (edited)

I think it's unfortunate that women no longer veil, and not because I have any obsession with enforcing rules at church (I try to mind my own business when I'm at church), but I think it's a reflection of the loss of cult in society. We are a thoroughly commercialized and industrialized people, and religion is a privatized affair. I don't dress up when I go to church, so I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I would like to see veils return to church, but I fear it's almost impossible to do without creating a pharasaical atmosphere. I know, because while I would like to dress better when I go to Mass, I have a natural revulsion to becoming one of "those people," and I imagine it's somewhat the same with women and veils.

You're right. It was very difficult to become one of  "those people" who wear a veil. But once I got over that fear--the fear of being judged wrongly, I was fine. Practice makes perfect. It got easier with each Mass. It has been one of the best decisions of my life and 100% worth it. 

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart
franciscanheart
Posted


I'm not opposed to wearing a kippah or something like it. But that goes against Western tradition. In western Tradition, women cover up out of humility (Hiding their beauty), and men take off head coverings when they pray out of humility, which is why you'll see men take off their hats when they are about to pray or enter a church.


Men don't wear hats all the time anymore. Their heads usually are bare.
PhuturePriest
Posted

Men don't wear hats all the time anymore. Their heads usually are bare.

 

Well, where I'm from hats are quite common. In the summer my dad wears hats every single day. It's weird to see him without one. But yes, generally we don't wear hats. I know I never wear hats, but that is because I don't like them and they mess up my hair.



Not during Mass, I think. At least not that I have ever seen before.

 

I think Apo can comment on this.

 

Yes, even during Mass. Photographic evidence:

 

4551862v.jpg

 

Sv__Pricest.jpg

Posted (edited)

Not during Mass, I think. At least not that I have ever seen before.

 

I think Apo can comment on this.

It would be considered most inappropriate and contrary to biblical and patristical teaching for a man to pray with his head covered in an Eastern Christian Church. Bishops (and those priests allowed the honor) of wearing a miter remove them when they pray.  

 

That said, the biblical tradition of head-coverings / veils remains normative for Eastern Christian women during prayer especially in the old countries.

Edited by Apotheoun
Anastasia13
Posted (edited)

But I don't see it as theological as much it was using religious reasons to differentiate from pagans.  ALSO from my understanding that it commands ALL (women and men) to not wear headcovering when praying but social custom did away with manly headcovering to differentiate from the jews in the early centuries.

 

Also, a baseball cap is a headcovering technically, but I'd be thrown out of church for wearing it.

Women take pride in their hair. Just ask a woman how she feels on a bad hair day? That pride does not belong in the church.



Men don't wear hats all the time anymore. Their heads usually are bare.

We should bring back nice dress clothes more often, then the can wear nice hats with their sports jackets.

Edited by Light and Truth
Autumn Dusk
Posted

Women take pride in their hair. Just ask a woman how she feels on a bad hair day? That pride does not belong in the church.



I don't think taking pride in your hair is a feminine thing these days.  I work in an office of 20-30yos and many of the guys spend just as much time taking care of their hair as women.  One guy flat iorns his 2 inch hair every day!!!  

 

I, for one, really don't care about my hair that much.  I'm peterefied of getting cancer and loosing it, but other than that as long as it's there I really don't care what it looks like.

ToJesusMyHeart
Posted



I don't think taking pride in your hair is a feminine thing these days.  

I quite disagree, as a female. 

Nihil Obstat
Posted

We should bring back nice dress clothes more often, then the can wear nice hats with their sports jackets.

Yes.

franciscanheart
Posted

Women take pride in their hair. Just ask a woman how she feels on a bad hair day? That pride does not belong in the church.

There's not enough difference in the way my hair looks from day to day to distinguish between good and bad hair days. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I don't care one way or the other. I rock my kinky curls the same way I rock my perfect corkscrews, ringlets and coils.
Autumn Dusk
Posted

I quite disagree, as a female. 

 

Erm....so you don't think that men can be very....are very...vain these days?  Up to, and including, hair?

ToJesusMyHeart
Posted



I don't think taking pride in your hair is a feminine thing these days.  I work in an office of 20-30yos and many of the guys spend just as much time taking care of their hair as women.  One guy flat iorns his 2 inch hair every day!!!  

 

Erm....so you don't think that men can be very....are very...vain these days?  Up to, and including, hair?

The way you phrased yourself made it seem, to me, like you were saying that females don't take pride in their hair these days. (which I think is false)

 

I think you meant "taking pride in one's hair isn't just a female problem these days." With which I agree. :)

Autumn Dusk
Posted

The way you phrased yourself made it seem, to me, like you were saying that females don't take pride in their hair these days. (which I think is false)

 

I think you meant "taking pride in one's hair isn't just a female problem these days." With which I agree. :)

 

 

Sorry, the meaning was that while women take pride, the degree to which men take pride is equal  if not worse, considering their gender and fact that it is still socially acceptable to have a crew cut or buzz cut.  It's not to say women don't take pride, but that honestly in a office that's about close to 50/50 male/female more of the guys (gay and straight) take alot more pride in their hair than the women do.  Now shoes on the other hand.... :covereyes:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...