An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Make An Important Desicion When One Can Not Hear God Clearly...

Annie12

How should one go about making an important decision when they can not hear God clearly. I need to make an important decision for my education soon and I'm not sure if what I think God wants of me is really what he a wants. I feel like I need more clarity. I am not getting any conflicting notions of what God wants but I feel like what he wants isn't conniving me enough. I'm not really sure how to explain it. Help on this would so great.

This reminds me of an anecdote my parish priest once told during a homily. "A man approached me to ask, 'Father, I really don't know where God wants me to go for my holiday. What do you think?' I replied to him, 'Go wherever you like!'"

His point was that sometimes people can become very anxious and fixated on discerning 'the will of God' in every little aspect of their lives, when really God gives us a whole spectrum of choices. He is infinite and he offers us this richness of possibility that can be very scary but is also very great. Bear in mind that God can bring good out of all situations, and make the decision that seems best and most sensible to you. :)

Your dilemma is true for so many including myself!   The following may be of some assistance

Why is it that we so easily feel discouraged when we don't "see" the answers to our prayers? Jesus says in today’s (Monday in Australia) Gospel passage, "Unless you see signs and wonders, you will not believe." He said this to a dad who wanted Jesus to come to his house to heal his son.

This man's faith depended on the same thing that ours so often does: "Seeing is believing". He thought that he could only get a miracle if Jesus physically showed up at his house to pray over the boy. Jesus invited him to grow beyond that.

Have you ever wished that Jesus would appear to you in person to assure you that everything is going to turn out okay? I sure have! But then where is our trust in the power and goodness of God? What kind of faith exists without trust?

Jesus told the worried father, "Go on with your life as normal. Your son will live."

This is what Jesus is saying to all of us every time we pray. "Go on with your life as normal," he says. "Now that you've given the problem to me, trust in my wisdom and perfect timing. Don't take it back by disbelieving that I'm working on it. Go about your normal business as if I'm taking care of it beyond your field of vision, because I am."

That message is so true, so important, and so essential to living in faith, copy it and post it where you can see it every day!

we should keep praying about it with a spirit of thanksgiving and trust. This enables us to hear God when he says, "Okay, here's what I want you to do next..." when it’s time for us to do something about it.

Remember, when we pray with the Church: "Lord, hear our prayer", it’s an offering, not an implication that God is idle until we ask. In faith, what we're really saying is: "Lord, thank you for hearing our prayer! I trust your timing and your way of handling it."

That's what "amen" means.

LouisvilleFan

Far more important decisions have been made by drawing straws. For all we know, those straws they burn from the conclave are the actual voting slips...

Try discerning the education that Christ Jesus had. What college did He go to, what subjects did He study, etc....

Wisdom is a grace from God. Education can be bought.

Buona Fortuna!

• 3 weeks later...

I personally..have never challenged our Lord to prove anything nor show me signs etc. Yet when he has blessed me..I just knew it and gave him much Thanks! ;) Father Timothy Gallagher OMV has made a statement,that God does not want us to be stuck in discernment. I would suggest reading his book "Discerning the will of God: An Ignatian Guide to Christian Decision Making"

I personally..have never challenged our Lord to prove anything nor show me signs etc. Yet when he has blessed me..I just knew it and gave him much Thanks! ;) Father Timothy Gallagher OMV has made a statement,that God does not want us to be stuck in discernment. I would suggest reading his book "Discerning the will of God: An Ignatian Guide to Christian Decision Making"

Nikita you beat me to it (because I was somewhat away at Lent).  I agree ... Fr. Tim Gallagher's book does have a number of good points with respect to discernment. 

• 4 weeks later...