An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Cheer Myself Up

Strictlyinkblot

Strictlyinkblot

As I'm stranded and won't get home for St. Patrick's day (a little like not spending Thanksgiving with family) I've decided I needed cheering up. I hope the photos get put up soon. Video doesn't have the best sound quality but its lovely to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac-Hsw5p5l8&feature=player_embedded

If you can't get home for St. Patrick's, get together with the other Irish where you are. Drink, sing, pray - perhaps not in that order. But celebrate him.

Strictlyinkblot

I will, my local church always has a party after Mass. And I'm thankful I have a warm place to stay and food to eat. I don't even have to go out into the snow if I don't want to as I'm off this week.

That s.ucks! Make a lovely day of it anyway... :cheers:

Do you know why this profession was held outside in the chapel? I want to say there was a previous one done that way too, when there were a lot of guests, but maybe I'm confusing that with something else.

Strictlyinkblot

I don't know, I was surprised when I saw it but it could have been because she had a lot of visitors so they could all see her properly. But they only left the choir for the actual profession rite.

I think the profession you're thinking of was Sr. Mary Amata's solemn profession. While I'm not an expert I believe that solemn profession is usually done in the main part of the church, even for Poor Clares.

Edited by Strictlyinkblot

I believe that the rubrics for rites of profession allow the novice, the superior and the formator to go into the public chapel for the profession. The idea is that the rite should be readily visible to the faithful, as a means of increasing their familiarity with religious life and to better see the vow- taking. (And, I might add, tell young women who might be potential future nuns about it!)

Similarly, when a cloistered nun dies and is to be buried in the enclosure, the laity may be invited in to the enclosure for the commendation and burial at the grave. I was in the choir of a pretty strict Cloistered Carmel once when the local ordinary (bishop) was presiding at the Nun's funeral and permitted this exception. It was profoundly moving!

BarbTherese

I wonder if it has anything to do with the solemn vows in religious life being termed "public vows" SOLEMN VOWS  And as public vows, rightful that they are celebrated outside the grille, rather than behind it?

I hope that your Thanksgiving, SI, will hold some very happy and unexpected surprises, even though you can't be home and this must be a real disappointment (we do not celebrate Thanksgiving in Australia, but it seems to me it must be like missing Christmas at home).