An Old School Catholic Message Board

Advice Wanted

savvy

I have several discernment trips planned. I am confused about whether I should do them all or just focus on what attracks me the most. The reason why I am keeping the doors open, is because things may not work out with a particular community, as I have previously found out. I need prayers that I will have wisdom in discerning this out.

Do them all. If money and/or time are an issue, do the most attractive one(s) first.

I'll pray :)

petitpèlerin

I've heard from a few good sources that it's generally a good idea to narrow down your search to three communities that attract you most. But that depends on your situation: where you are in your discernment, what means you have to travel, etc.

Strictlyinkblot

A few years ago I made a mistake of doing too much close together and I got a bit burnt out. Visit all the communities certainly if you want but I strongly advise that you leave time in between visits to think about your experiences. And a spiritual director would be invaluable.

Having said all that I had checked out so many different communities but hadn't looked at the Dominican communities and now I've ended up heading towards the black and white.

Here's the thing. The community I am most attracted to is in the U.S. The rest are Canadian or have a Canadian province. In Canada, I would not have to worry about visa, or medical insurance, but my health history may or may not be an issue, depending on my ability to live the life. In the American community, it will not be an issue because, of the charism. I know in the end it's in God's hands, because God can open and shut doors. I just have to trust in him.

Strictlyinkblot

Well, I never thought I'd find a community in America, halfway across the world. I think if the community attracts you the most and they fit you e.g. health, charism etc then you need to pursue them. That's not to say you shouldn't look at the others but if you feel a strong tug towards them then I think you should talk to them. If they feel you are called to them they'll probably tell you not to visit other communities because it can get confusing.