An Old School Catholic Message Board

Orthodox Lenten And Paschal Calendar - 2013

Apotheoun

A picture from the celebration of Divine Liturgy on the Sunday of Orthodoxy at Christ the Savior Cathedral in Moscow. The Feast of the Triumph of Orthodoxy commemorates the restoration of the veneration of sacred images and the defeat of the Iconoclastic heretics. The feast was instituted during the reign of the Empress St. Theodora in the year A.D. 842.

DSC_0017.jpg

The Orthodox calander needs to conform to the Latin one

:pope2:

I prefer the old calendar myself.

[attachment=3125:metania_icon.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqWwixGnEY

Patriarch Kirill celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil the Great on the Sunday of St. Gregory Palamas at the Church of the Transfiguration in Moscow (31 March 2013).

Anastasia13

The Orthodox calander needs to conform to the Latin one

:pope2:

Some Oriental do. For example all Armenian churches celebrate the same Christmass and Easter outside of Jerusalem.

Edited by Light and Truth

Some Oriental do.

Actually the various Eastern Orthodox countries have adopted the Gregorian calendar for civil and state purposes, but only the Eastern Orthodox Church of Finland uses the Gregorian calendar for determining religious feast days, and it does so because in the mid 1700s Finland was governed by Sweden, and the Swedish government forced all institutions within its territory to use the Gregorian calendar.

That said, the self-governing Eastern Orthodox Churches use two different calendars: (1) the traditional Julian calendar, and (2) the Revised Julian calendar. But even those Churches that use the Revised Julian calendar, which is similar to the Gregorian calendar, use the old Julian calendar to determine the date of the Pasch.

Moreover, the year 2013 is the first year since the adoption of the Gregorian calendar by the Roman Catholic Church that will see the Churches in communion with the pope (Roman and Byzantine) in Israel and other nations in the Middle East celebrate Easter according to the Eastern Orthodox usage. That means that all Christians throughout the Holy Land (at least those who are members of one of the ancient Apostolic Churches) will celebrate Easter this year on May 5th.

Edited by Apotheoun

Some Oriental do. For example all Armenian churches celebrate the same Christmass and Easter outside of Jerusalem.

Most Oriental use their own calendars, and some of those calendars do not even use the Anno Domini dating system.

This is the year A.M. 1729 by the reckoning of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

P.S. - A.M. stands for "in the year of the Martyrs" and corresponds to the beginning of the persecution of Christians initiated by the Roman Emperor Diocletian.

Edited by Apotheoun

Anastasia13

This is the year A.M. 1729 by the reckoning of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

P.S. - A.M. stands for "in the year of the Martyrs" and corresponds to the beginning of the persecution of Christians initiated by the Roman Emperor Diocletian.

Do the Coptic Catholics keep a calendar like that at all?

Do the Coptic Catholics keep a calendar like that at all?

I do not know for certain, but I would think it likely that the Coptic Catholics follow the liturgical cycle of the Coptic Orthodox, and so at least the monthly breakdown would be the same. Whether they follow the yearly computation from the age of the martyrs is another matter altogether, and I do not know if they do that.

Edited by Apotheoun

Sorry I couldn't resist.  :smile3:

216639_179031428913274_438849654_n_zpse9

Don't worry my Eastern brothers and sisters, Pascha will be here before you know it.  :cheers:

Here are some pictures from the celebration of the Feast of the Annunciation at the Church of the Annunciation in the Moscow Kremlin.

31VSN_5399.jpg

An exterior view of the Church of the Annunciation. The Church was consecrated in A.D. 1489.

5VSN_5230.jpg

Patriarch Kirill entering the Church.

7DSCF1235.jpg

A close up image of the altar.

8DSCF1245.jpgPatriarch Kirill at the Royal Doors.

13VSN_5285.jpgPatriarch Kirill blessing the congregation with the dikirion and trikirion.

Apo, I saw a Greek Orthodox church on TV the other day, but it had pews. Is this something specific to the U.S., or was I wrong in thinking Orthodox churches don't have them?