An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Much Silence Can Young Adults Handle On A Retreat?

Sister Rose Therese

MarysLittleFlower

Hello everyone.

I'm working on the schedule for a discernment retreat.  One of the days of the retreat is our day of recollection, so we have silence all day until supper and we have Adoration from morning Mass until the end of Evening Prayer.

I am just wondering, is that too much silence for young adults to handle?  During the day the retreatants would be able to go on walks around the grounds, shoot hoops, and quiet activities in addition to Adoration.  I remember going on a silent retreat in college and loving it, but they may have had some talks during the day and I was rather quiet anyways. 

What do you think?  Should I have a talk or two during the day or would it be alright to leave it until evening?

Thanks for your input.

God bless.

I've been to a day of recollection at a parish where they had 3 talks by priests, Latin Mass, lunch, a dinner, and Compline... there was silence pretty much until dinner, except for the priests giving the talks of course.

Personally I would say that I like silence, and it definitely gives time to figure things out. I think I would be alright with this plan, but there might be other views from others :) maybe it depends on the person? I'm sure it can be a productive time though...

Hope that helps :)

edit: I agree with what others said about Confessions.. that's a great idea!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I don't know if I count as a "young adult" (I'm 33), but personally, I would love it if I could get total silence for 10 days straight. No talking, no lectures, no common prayer, even. Just. Total. Silence. (With maybe some bird song and river sounds. ;-)

I'm sure that's out of the question on a retreat, but I second what others have said above about really dishing out the silence to challenge people.

Of course, I'm not the kind of person who'd ever go on a group retreat—too noisy! And I'm not sure whether you're in a convent or monastery, but Carthusians and hermits look really appealing to me. :-P So if you're in a convent, maybe there is such a thing as too much silence for the type of person you'll be hosting.

One thing I can say from my research on discernment, though: The more silence, the easier the discernment!

OnlySunshine

I don't know if I count as a "young adult" (I'm 33), but personally, I would love it if I could get total silence for 10 days straight. No talking, no lectures, no common prayer, even. Just. Total. Silence. (With maybe some bird song and river sounds. ;-)

I'm sure that's out of the question on a retreat, but I second what others have said above about really dishing out the silence to challenge people.

Of course, I'm not the kind of person who'd ever go on a group retreat—too noisy! And I'm not sure whether you're in a convent or monastery, but Carthusians and hermits look really appealing to me. :-P So if you're in a convent, maybe there is such a thing as too much silence for the type of person you'll be hosting.

One thing I can say from my research on discernment, though: The more silence, the easier the discernment!

I don't mean to derail the topic but, if you're looking for this kind of retreat, you might consider a Desert Experience with the Visitation Nuns of Mobile, AL.  You get to be in the cloister with them and can stay in silence or talk to the designated Sister who is overseeing the retreat.  :)

http://www.visitationmonasterymobile.org/HTMLcode/Desert.htm

I don't mean to derail the topic but, if you're looking for this kind of retreat, you might consider a Desert Experience with the Visitation Nuns of Mobile, AL.  You get to be in the cloister with them and can stay in silence or talk to the designated Sister who is overseeing the retreat.  :)

http://www.visitationmonasterymobile.org/HTMLcode/Desert.htm

Hey MM,

Have you been there? I've actually been looking at that monastery recently... If you've been, your insights and impressions would be much appreciated!

Also: How come I can't PM you? There's no "Send a PM" button on your page... ?

—c

OnlySunshine

Hey MM,

Have you been there? I've actually been looking at that monastery recently... If you've been, your insights and impressions would be much appreciated!

—c

I actually have not been though I've heard great things about it.  Also, my PMs are turned off.  I'm so busy with homework that I'm trying not to come to Phatmass that often.  Easier said than done.  ;)

Hey MM,

—c

I believe Aya Sophia spent quite a bit of time there. She's not around, but I'm sure her PM is still hooked up to her email, so if you wanted to contact her and find out more, she'd be the best bet.

I believe Aya Sophia spent quite a bit of time there. She's not around, but I'm sure her PM is still hooked up to her email, so if you wanted to contact her and find out more, she'd be the best bet.

Thank you very much! BTW: What order is the lady in your profile pic? Looks Eastern Orthodox...

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

My first experience with silence was actually in the Boy Scouting program. I was in my 6th grade year. It was about 24 hours of silence and was a positive experience. In all of my years working with the particular program I found that most people can handle a full day of silence so long as their is a purpose to it and it is clearly explained. We were broken out in groups of 6-10 where we did service projects throughout the day, given readings to reflect on our current state in life and where we were going.

As to how much silence is too much? I think it important to consider how long the whole retreat is. I would say 1/2 a 2/3 of the time in silence would be good, but their should be time before and after the silence to talk in small groups and socialize. Questions could be printed out to discuss discernment and concerns or such questions to help promote discussion in the groups. The same groups could meet after the silence to discuss the journey they went through during their time.

Thank you very much! BTW: What order is the lady in your profile pic? Looks Eastern Orthodox...

Yes, she is. So am I :) We have just the one order of monastics, which encompasses the gamut of what your lot would consider 'religious life'.

domenica_therese

I think the question of how much silence young people can handle in general and how much is advisable for a discernment retreat are two different questions.

I think that youth/YA's can do take up the challenge. Being a young adult myself, Like many have mentioned, Slience with a pupose and a schedule to keep their minds busy.

Sister Rose Therese

Thanks everyone.

So maybe an individual schedule for everyone.  I guess I'll have to specify that hoops would be a solitary activity.

I am a YA (or a teen, 13) and I went on a retreat and we had silence till supper (besides the talks, songs, and Confession.)  I am usually really noisy and like to talk but it really wasn't to hard.

• 1 month later...
Sister Rose Therese

Sorry I am so late posting this.  Thanks again to everyone who helped with this question.

Just wanted to let you know that we have the retreat scheduled for June 6-8, 2013.  It is for single, Catholic women, discerning their vocation, aged 18-40.  You can visit our website for more info, (http://franciscansisterspeoria.org/blog/91-come-for-our-discernment-retreat) or just contact me.

Thanks again and God bless.