An Old School Catholic Message Board

Info On The Community Of St John, Usa, In New Jersey?

Recordare Virgo

Recordare Virgo

Does anyone know anything about these sisters? They're opening a house of formation in New Jersey and are currently housing aspirants at a Priory there. It seems they accept women over 50 (yours truly) on an individual basis. Any info would be appreciated.

www.communityofstjohn.com

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Their novitiate is in IL but the NJ house of formation is probably something new. I haven't spoken with Sr. Theresia Marie is a little while. They are the Apostolic sisters and do a lot of campus ministry. STM is the vocation directoress of the archdiocese. Their house is in Orange which is sort of an inner city area. You really need to contact them directly to learn more about them.

petitpèlerin

The NJ "house of formation", to my understanding, was just a temporary thing (and for postulancy only) until their American novitiate got up and running, which it is now in Princeville, IL. They haven't updated their website or brochures yet to reflect this. The new priory in Princeville would be the place to contact; I don't have that contact info but the sisters in East Orange would have it, as well as the brothers or the contemplative sisters in Princeville, whose contact information is on the website. They do indeed accept vocations on an individual basis and I've seen 50+ new vocations in recent years with the community here in France (I'm a student at one of their schools).

Edited by petitpèlerin

Recordare Virgo

The NJ "house of formation", to my understanding, was just a temporary thing (and for postulancy only) until their American novitiate got up and running, which it is now in Princeville, IL. They haven't updated their website or brochures yet to reflect this. The new priory in Princeville would be the place to contact; I don't have that contact info but the sisters in East Orange would have it, as well as the brothers or the contemplative sisters in Princeville, whose contact information is on the website. They do indeed accept vocations on an individual basis and I've seen 50+ new vocations in recent years with the community here in France (I'm a student at one of their schools).

Thanks for the very helpful information, petit pelèrin. Is spending time in one of their houses in France a possibility at any time? Puisque je parle français un peu, cela serait magnifique!

petitpèlerin

Thanks for the very helpful information, petit pelèrin. Is spending time in one of their houses in France a possibility at any time? Puisque je parle français un peu, cela serait magnifique!

Très bien! Visiting their schools for a week or two (like a retreat but going to classes) is a possibility for anyone, as far as I know. You'd just have to get into contact with the community and ask about it. (With them, all roads lead to France.) Attending the school as a student for a few months or a year or more is generally something that one is invited to do through other contacts with the community. I don't know where you're located but in the US they have a great summer program of activities for young adults: festivals, trips, camps, summer school, pilgrimmages, WYD, etc. They have similar opportunities in Europe. I went on a 10-day trip with them two summers ago, which is how I met them and was given the opportunity to study here. Bon courage!

Simply visiting a house, though, is absolutely a possibility. They welcome visitors. Again, just contact them.

Edited by petitpèlerin