An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Liked It

brianthephysicist

Enjoy the FOCCUS! You are a trooper having a 2 year engagement and not going bananas. The wait will be worth it :)

Two year long distance engagement! Haha. I will be so relieved when we can finally go home to the same place and stay there. But setting a date has certainly taken a lot of the sting out. Thanks. :)

So happy for you both!!!!     :blues:  :heart: :brutebeast: :heart:  :angel:

Edited by AnneLine

Two year long distance engagement! Haha. I will be so relieved when we can finally go home to the same place and stay there. But setting a date has certainly taken a lot of the sting out. Thanks. :)

Ugh. I feel your pain. Im in a long distance relationship as well and that feeling of just wanting to see each other at the end of the day is really tough. 

PhuturePriest

OK. So I finally have some time to tell the tale. :) Be warned, it is disgustingly romantic and movie-like. Steer clear of this post if you're not prepared to either cry or puke. ;)

I was up on Long Island for the last few days of Brian's spring break. One of his best friends from undergrad in NJ is a musician and plays gigs all over. He had a gig at one of the local pubs on Friday night, and I really love live music, so we met up with a few of Brian's friends at the pub.

The day before while checking my email, I accidentally saw a message Brian had sent to one of his friends: "The big thing is going to happen at 10:00 on Friday night. We'll be at the pub by 9:30."

The gears started turning in my head. I even asked ARFink if he knew anything, but he didn't. At the same time, I knew that Brian has several years of school left, and told myself he wouldn't propose so soon. So I pushed the thought out of my mind.

Friday night comes, and we go to the pub to see Mikey play.

10:00 comes and goes. I figure the "big thing" was something else entirely, and order food.

Around 10:30 my food arrived, and I started to dig in, when I heard my name from the mic.

It was Brian. What?

And Mikey started to play a song. Brian sang to me.

At first, I was embarrassed — I am a bashful person and don't really like attention, especially in public — but I listened. After all, he was singing for me, and he's not one to do musical things. I listened closely.

It was kinda like that song "Hey There Delilah" in style. It was a series of questions for the girl interspersed with the way she makes him feel. Sweet.

There was a guitar break right before the bridge of the song, and Brian started grinning like a little kid at Christmas and started to sing the last of the lyrics:

"Baby, can you answer one last question for me?
Cause I've had this on my mind
And I think it's time to see..."

At this point, I simultaneously broke into a sweat, felt my blood run cold, and said "Oh, my God..."

He grinned even more. I knew it, and he knew I knew.

"I've waited all my life

for my lips to finally speak..."

And he started walking back to our table:

"So will you, will you..."

And he got down on one knee, mic in one hand, ring in the other, and the hugest smile on his face:

"Marry me?"

therehegoes_zpsaf806447.jpg

Looking back, I wish I would have waited even just a few seconds to take in that moment. But I was so happy and so surprised I answered "yes I will" almost as soon as he had it out of his mouth.

The pub went nuts, we hugged like crazy, and he gave me this beautiful ring:

JbMObcP.jpg

After we calmed down a little, he asked me to turn around toward the back of the pub. Standing there were my best friend from home and her husband. They knew about the plan for weeks, and drove all the way to Long Island to be there. They hid upstairs at the pub for hours, waiting. (She doesn't know it yet, but she's going to be my matron of honor. Mikey will be Brian's best man.)

Our families are thrilled — both sets of parents knew it was coming.

Typing the whole thing out makes me shake my head in awe. I can't believe he actually did it, and did it like that! I am so lucky.

This is the very beginning of an amazing adventure.

Brian is a very sly dog! But I didn't know that he could sing. Why hasn't he ever mentioned that when I've talked to him on Google+ about singing at least ninety times?

Anyway, congratulations! Very awesome story. I'm glad he proposed the question the way people should.