An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Thursday In Religious Communities

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Traditionally, 12 men (and only men) are supposed to take part in the washing of the feet. 

How do female religious communities do that? Do they even do that to begin with?

maximillion

Depends on the community......

We had a retreat day. 

Parlours closed at 2pm  (we always had a full guest house for Easter) with Exposition in the side chapel and a minimum of work to keep things ticking over.

We had no hot meal except soup unill lunch on Sunday, and there were various community and individual penances one could get permission for, but no, no washing of the feet.

Pax_et bonum

1. I'd guess that some communities just have 12 sisters have their feet washed.

a) This is a bit different, but it made me think of St. Clare who would wash the feet of the extern sisters when they came back from being out. I know it's supposed to be men for the Mass, but having women isn't the worst thing in the world; it is allowed.

2. Some communities have a brother community nearby that they probably celebrate important Masses together if they don't always go to the same Mass, and the brothers would have their feet washed. I'm thinking of the SSFPA, they're close with some conventual Franciscans friars, and the Poor Sisters of St. Clare pretty much always have Mass with the Franciscan Brothers Minor--they share the Oratory.

3. Maybe some communities have male benefactors or family members that they can ask?

4. They don't do it at all?

Those would be my guesses.

be_thou_my_vision

2. Some communities have a brother community nearby that they probably celebrate important Masses together if they don't always go to the same Mass, and the brothers would have their feet washed. I'm thinking of the SSFPA, they're close with some conventual Franciscans friars, and the Poor Sisters of St. Clare pretty much always have Mass with the Franciscan Brothers Minor--they share the Oratory.

SSFPA don't do feet washing. They just kind of skip over the part. The Holy Thursday Mass is Sisters only. It's very beautiful!

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Monastic Communities do the Mandatuum either in the refectory at the noon meal which is often festive or in the chapter hall. Antiphons are sung. In our house the prioress gives a little sermon.

You can have the ceremony of the washing of the feet anytime with anyone, just not at Holy Thursday Mass. That is reserved for 12 men who are sort of icons of the 12 apostles. I wouldn't want to do it...I'd be afraid I'd be taking the part of Judas!

We're about to have the Mandatuum in just a little while.

1. I'd guess that some communities just have 12 sisters have their feet washed.

a) This is a bit different, but it made me think of St. Clare who would wash the feet of the extern sisters when they came back from being out. I know it's supposed to be men for the Mass, but having women isn't the worst thing in the world; it is allowed.

3. Maybe some communities have male benefactors or family members that they can ask?

4. They don't do it at all?

Those would be my guesses.

The pope washed the feet of 12 young offenders, two of whom were Muslims and two were woman.