An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rules For The Scrupulous Person

Nihil Obstat

ToJesusMyHeart

I was told that if you are soul-achingly sorry and especially regretful for a particular mortal sin of your past, you are free to say at the end of your confession: "and for the sin of _________________, which has already been confessed, I am particularly sorry."

Nihil Obstat

I was told that if you are soul-achingly sorry and especially regretful for a particular mortal sin of your past, you are free to say at the end of your confession: "and for the sin of _________________, which has already been confessed, I am particularly sorry."

I can see that working for a person with a healthy spiritual life, but for someone suffering from scruples it would probably be better to avoid that. Just going by what the article said.

ImageTrinity

Terrific article. Thanks for sharing!

This might be good advice for a spiritually healthy individual, but a scrupulous person couldn't just confess one past mortal sin. It would likely turn into a very anxious general confession. Scrupulous people need to be told to confess their sins ONCE and leave them in God's hands. My director used to tell me, "Don't just close the curtain on the past. Slam the door and deadbolt it!"

I can't really say I've had impure thoughts when looking at the Crucifix. However, I do often find myself marveling at how unnaturally buff Jesus' chest always is.

Pay a visit to the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. You'll have this problem.

Reading this, I am suddenly very worried about how many of those things I do... My confessor "accused" me of scrupulosity about 8 months ago, and I thought he had no idea what he was talking about, because it didn't sound like the scrupulosity the nuns described to me. Does it manifest differently in different people?

Reading this, I am suddenly very worried about how many of those things I do... My confessor "accused" me of scrupulosity about 8 months ago, and I thought he had no idea what he was talking about, because it didn't sound like the scrupulosity the nuns described to me. Does it manifest differently in different people?

There are certainly different degrees to scrupulosity. Some have it so bad to the point that "oh on accident I bumped into you in the hallway, that must've been a sin against the commandment thou shalt not murder, I obviously need to go to confession before I receive communion again."

The only thing I dislike about the list is those that are not honestly scrupulous and might think they are could use some of the items on the list to take a more liberal approach to things (specifically #8 and #9). Otherwise I think it's a very good list.

For #3 I often do this, but it's because our penances are so easy that "doing it over again" takes 10 seconds. If I can't say a single Hail Mary as penance without getting distracted, then really I just need to calm my mind and focus on my penance  :hehe2: .

I think I do #2 not so much out of scrupulosity but more so as "I did this, I'm not sure if I was sinful in doing so or not" and see if the priest offers any reflection on that particular part of my confession. Potential sins in #2 are definitely not what drives me to go to confession. If they were, then it would be concerning.

Nihil Obstat

The only thing I dislike about the list is those that are not honestly scrupulous and might think they are could use some of the items on the list to take a more liberal approach to things (specifically #8 and #9). Otherwise I think it's a very good list.

For #3 I often do this, but it's because our penances are so easy that "doing it over again" takes 10 seconds. If I can't say a single Hail Mary as penance without getting distracted, then really I just need to calm my mind and focus on my penance  :hehe2: .

I think I do #2 not so much out of scrupulosity but more so as "I did this, I'm not sure if I was sinful in doing so or not" and see if the priest offers any reflection on that particular part of my confession. Potential sins in #2 are definitely not what drives me to go to confession. If they were, then it would be concerning.

Yeah, I had that same thought. The list would not be so helpful for someone who was looking to excuse their sins. :P

Basilisa Marie

That's probably why good spiritual direction (from a director or regular confessor) is so important.  There's such a wide range of things people struggle with, that it's basically impossible to write a list of things that'll be universally beneficial. 

Nihil Obstat

That's probably why good spiritual direction (from a director or regular confessor) is so important.  There's such a wide range of things people struggle with, that it's basically impossible to write a list of things that'll be universally beneficial. 

Indeed. A good confessor can lead many souls to heaven.

PhuturePriest

Scrupulosity is an attack on your spiritual life that the Devil unleashes on you. The Devil attacks people different ways. As such, yes, it is different from person to person. When I was scrupulous, I confessed things over and over again, I was deathly afraid that everything was a mortal sin, and I wouldn't believe it sometimes when my sister would tell me something wasn't a sin. Some people fear that God can never forgive them for what they have done because it is so great. I never had this problem. I always trusted in Jesus' mercy.

• 8 years later...
On 4/1/2013 at 7:32 AM, Nihil Obstat said:

From a short essay on Scrupulosity, which can be found on the website of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church, established by the FSSP.

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/Scrupulosity_7.15_.12_.pdf

Rules for the Scrupulous Person to Follow 

1. Do not repeat a sin in confession when it has been told in a previous confession even if you doubt 

it was told, or doubt it was told in a sufficiently adequate and complete way. 

2. Do not tell doubtful sins in confession, only clear and certain ones. 

3. Do not repeat your penance after confession, or any of the words of your penance, on the score 

that you were distracted or may not have said the words properly. 

4. Do not worry about breaking your fast before receiving our Lord in Holy Communion unless you 

actually put food and drink in your mouth and swallow it in the same way you do when you eat a 

meal. 

5. Do not hesitate to look at any crucifix or statue in church, at home, or anywhere else, for fear that 

you receive bad thoughts in your mind or imagination. If such thoughts come they are not sinful at 

all. 

6. Do not consider yourself guilty of bad thoughts, desires or feelings unless you can honestly swear 

under oath before the all-truthful God that you remember clearly and certainly consenting to them. 

7. Do not disobey your confessor when he tells you never to make another general confession of past 

sins already confessed. 

8. Act on the belief that whenever you are in doubt as to whether or not you are obliged to do or not 

to do something; you can take it as certain that you are not obliged. 

9. If, before you perform or omit an act, you are doubtful whether or not it is sinful for you, you shall 

assume as certain that it is not sinful and shall proceed to act without any dread of sin whatever. 

10. You shall put your total trust in Jesus Christ knowing that He loves you as only God can love, and 

that He has no intention of letting you lose your soul. 

11. Remember: feelings, impulses and ideas are neither acts of the will nor accomplished facts. 

12. Remember: temptations are not sins. Even Jesus was tempted by the Devil and never sinned. 

The link is now available, where van I find the pdf?

On 4/1/2013 at 7:32 AM, Nihil Obstat said:

From a short essay on Scrupulosity, which can be found on the website of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church, established by the FSSP.

http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/images/uploads/Scrupulosity_7.15_.12_.pdf

Rules for the Scrupulous Person to Follow 

1. Do not repeat a sin in confession when it has been told in a previous confession even if you doubt 

it was told, or doubt it was told in a sufficiently adequate and complete way. 

2. Do not tell doubtful sins in confession, only clear and certain ones. 

3. Do not repeat your penance after confession, or any of the words of your penance, on the score 

that you were distracted or may not have said the words properly. 

4. Do not worry about breaking your fast before receiving our Lord in Holy Communion unless you 

actually put food and drink in your mouth and swallow it in the same way you do when you eat a 

meal. 

5. Do not hesitate to look at any crucifix or statue in church, at home, or anywhere else, for fear that 

you receive bad thoughts in your mind or imagination. If such thoughts come they are not sinful at 

all. 

6. Do not consider yourself guilty of bad thoughts, desires or feelings unless you can honestly swear 

under oath before the all-truthful God that you remember clearly and certainly consenting to them. 

7. Do not disobey your confessor when he tells you never to make another general confession of past 

sins already confessed. 

8. Act on the belief that whenever you are in doubt as to whether or not you are obliged to do or not 

to do something; you can take it as certain that you are not obliged. 

9. If, before you perform or omit an act, you are doubtful whether or not it is sinful for you, you shall 

assume as certain that it is not sinful and shall proceed to act without any dread of sin whatever. 

10. You shall put your total trust in Jesus Christ knowing that He loves you as only God can love, and 

that He has no intention of letting you lose your soul. 

11. Remember: feelings, impulses and ideas are neither acts of the will nor accomplished facts. 

12. Remember: temptations are not sins. Even Jesus was tempted by the Devil and never sinned. 

Where can I find this pdf? it is not available unfortunately

Credo in Deum
36 minutes ago, 20marc00 said:

The link is now available, where van I find the pdf?

Where can I find this pdf? it is not available unfortunately

I haven't seen Nihli on here in a while but I think a copy of the article can be found at this link: https://www.fisheaters.com/scruples.html

fides' Jack

Very interesting timing...

This talk popped up in my YouTube feed.  It's a topic I haven't heard this holy priest say much about, before.  It's set to be released this evening: