An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Retreat With Lsp!

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Next weekend (Friday to Sunday) I'm going on a discernment retreat...and it's with the Little Sisters of the Poor! I haven't met any Little Sisters, but I love the work they do and they're one of the more active, faithful orders around here. I've been told to expect daily Mass, Adoration, talks, prayer and time with the elderly residents of the retirement village run by the Sisters. I'm so excited!

As this is my first ever discernment retreat (:) ) and have no one around to really guide me in what I should be thinking about and hoping for, does anyone have any tips? What kind of things should I prepare myself for? Should I have high hopes for a good outcome? Ultimately I'd like to reach a deeper sense of clarity regarding my vocation, but I don't want to fool myself into assuming that such a feeling will come after one weekend and after my first retreat.

Blessings!

Next weekend (Friday to Sunday) I'm going on a discernment retreat...and it's with the Little Sisters of the Poor! I haven't met any Little Sisters, but I love the work they do and they're one of the more active, faithful orders around here. I've been told to expect daily Mass, Adoration, talks, prayer and time with the elderly residents of the retirement village run by the Sisters. I'm so excited!

As this is my first ever discernment retreat ( :) ) and have no one around to really guide me in what I should be thinking about and hoping for, does anyone have any tips? What kind of things should I prepare myself for? Should I have high hopes for a good outcome? Ultimately I'd like to reach a deeper sense of clarity regarding my vocation, but I don't want to fool myself into assuming that such a feeling will come after one weekend and after my first retreat.

Blessings!

No, but don't try for a negative or neutral outcome either! If you are officially there for discernment then it's legitimate to think about everything that happens within that context.

My priest told me this when I went to some super-short retreat or something - enjoy the activities for what they are. Enjoy going to Mass because it's going to Mass, enjoy talking to the residents because it's an opportunity to hear about the life of someone older and wiser than you. Whatever comes from that will come by itself. That mindset worked for me anyway :)

Spem in alium

No, but don't try for a negative or neutral outcome either! If you are officially there for discernment then it's legitimate to think about everything that happens within that context.

My priest told me this when I went to some super-short retreat or something - enjoy the activities for what they are. Enjoy going to Mass because it's going to Mass, enjoy talking to the residents because it's an opportunity to hear about the life of someone older and wiser than you. Whatever comes from that will come by itself. That mindset worked for me anyway :)

Thank you :) I'm going for a couple of reasons: because I am interested in the Little Sisters and the work they do, and because I'd like to discern better and more actively. My desire for discernment is very important and I can't really help wanting to find clarity. I definitely agree with your points.

That sounds like a great mindset. I'd love to enjoy things for what they are rather than for where they might lead. In the end, it's God's work and God's will.

Edited by Spem in alium

Pax_et bonum

I second what Marigold said, and just wanted to add that as far as outcomes, see if you have the desire to go back. You may want to go back, but even if it was a good experience, you may not have that desire. Take it one step at a time, and see what happens.

Spem in alium

I second what Marigold said, and just wanted to add that as far as outcomes, see if you have the desire to go back. You may want to go back, but even if it was a good experience, you may not have that desire. Take it one step at a time, and see what happens.

That's a great idea - never thought of that! Thank you :)

mysisterisalittlesister

What kind of things should I prepare myself for? 

Lots of food. They take an extra vow of hospitality, and their favorite thing to to is ask you if you're hungry :p

Spem in alium

Lots of food. They take an extra vow of hospitality, and their favorite thing to to is ask you if you're hungry :P

Haha - now THAT I can handle :P I'm so excited!