An Old School Catholic Message Board

Iowa Carmel Seeks Summer Organist

Luigi

Organist Needed

The Sisters of the Carmelite Monastery of Eldridge, Iowa, are seeking a Sister organist, retired or otherwise, or a single lay-woman organist who is also interested in their life, to accompany their liturgies, for the summer months or longer if possible.

Benefits: A live-in Contemplative Experience, small community, lush rural setting, personal and communal prayer, spiritual direction, study, rich liturgies, simple work, ready access to medical assistance, travel paid, and small stipend.

Call Sister Mary Jo or Sister Lynne: (563) 285-8387

dominicansoul

If I wasn't obligated to care for a mentally ill individual, I would jump all over this...sounds like paradise.........

Pax_et bonum

Sounds like a great opportunity!

I wonder how long it would take to learn the organ...

Chiquitunga

Wish I knew how to play the organ...  :|

me too! I've tried.. and I'm pretty bad... especially in front of other people :getaclue:

OnlySunshine

me too! I've tried.. and I'm pretty bad... especially in front of other people :getaclue:

My grandmother knows how to play but she's the only person in our family who does.  I have only messed around a little on it.  She still has it in her house in the mountains but she rarely plays anymore.  She used to LOVE playing it (and singing, though we could have done without accompaniment, if you know what I mean :hehe2: ).

carmenchristi

Hmmm.... Tempting, but I need a "real" job this summer, unfortunately. Besides, my parents would kill me since they are buying my plane ticket home... That means I actually have to stay home... At least somewhat.

• 5 months later...

This was posted at the beginning of the summer, but apparently the community is still looking for an organist. So I thought I'd bump it. http://carmelitesofeldridge.org/contents.html Look for the sentence below the grid & on the right - it's got a blue tulip or something next to it. There's no additional information there - it's just that it's still there so I guess the nuns are still looking for someone.  

OnlySunshine

This was posted at the beginning of the summer, but apparently the community is still looking for an organist. So I thought I'd bump it. http://carmelitesofeldridge.org/contents.html Look for the sentence below the grid & on the right - it's got a blue tulip or something next to it. There's no additional information there - it's just that it's still there so I guess the nuns are still looking for someone.  

I wonder why they don't send one of the Sisters for lessons?  Obviously, if it's something they need, they could have a Sister do it for the long run.  :)

Mater and others,

I think the answer is that this is one of the aging communities that have had very few vocations over the last few decades.  I think they have had only a few new sisters in the last few years.  And, as you have just all noted, not everyone is cut out to be an organist!

This is a picture of the community at the time of their 100th Anniversary a few years back....

http://carmelitesofeldridge.org/oct222011.htm

And this is a recent newsletter from their website:

http://carmelitesofeldridge.org/christmas2012photos.htm

I am not starting a debate on habit/non-habit wearing communities, but this is one of the communities that wears their habits primarily on solemn occasions, I believe.