An Old School Catholic Message Board

Complaining Keeps One From Noticing Jesus Presence

Papist

carmenchristi

Thanks for posting. This has been a recent reflection/examination of conscience for me... I didn't know that the pope spoke in it. It is sooo important to focus on the gifts of God and not our failures and problems. We, as Christians owe it to others to see all the blessings we have received and live the joy that they bring. Thanks again for sharing this!

BarbTherese

To develop a disposition of praise and thanksgiving in suffering can be an excellent curb on complaining and a means of being aware of the Presence of Jesus in all circumstances in life.  Such a disposition does not happen over night, it takes time and acceptance of oneself as not perfect and in our imperfections Jesus too is Present (only mortal sin countermands this)-  and a willingness to begin again as often as beginning again is necessary with confidence not in success but in Grace constantly at work in oneself.  Even this willingness per se is a victory of Grace and especially consant willingness even in the face of failure - when the slightest success, if any, is consistently not arriving.  The Lord does not ask success, He asks effort to succeed - success per se is always in His Hands and Grace alone.

If I am constantly succeeding in all my efforts, there is that danger of spiritual pride.  If I am constant in my efforts to succeed, though never quite succeeding, there is a disposition of holiness in itself (St Therese of Lisieux and her spirituality of imperfection, see below) in that effort, and a victory of fortitude and Faith - and less danger of becoming spiritually proud.  Though it is not of necessity that success brings with it spiritual pride.  True success will bring with it a further horizon or goal asking one strives towards its attainment, or success.

Striving for a disposition of praise and thanksgiving in all circumstances of life, even in suffering and difficulty, will curb a disposition of complaining - one may even discover eventually the gift of great Peace and Spiritual Joy in suffering.

Therese of Lisieux "Spirituality of Imperfection" http://showcase.netins.net/web/solitude/vilma5.html

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Anastasia13

Aww, this stinks. I like complaining. Why can't I complain? I want to complain. Wah, wah, wah...

BarbTherese

Aww, this stinks. I like complaining. Why can't I complain? I want to complain. Wah, wah, wah...

Smiling! :)   

Do give thanksgiving and praise a whirl, you just might decide you like this even better! :secret:

Anastasia13

Smiling! :)   

Do give thanksgiving and praise a whirl, you just might decide you like this even better! :secret:

Smiling is what I was going for. :)

Philippians 4: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

BarbTherese

Smiling is what I was going for. :)

Philippians 4: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Smiles is what you get - . :) :) :)

Great quote!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing! The Lord is indeed close. He fills our lives with abundant blessings, and many challenges meant to help us grow closer to Him.