An Old School Catholic Message Board

Happy 2013th Anniversary To The Order Of Virgins! Celebration Pol

abrideofChrist

How do you celebrate the Annunciation?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

abrideofChrist

To all fellow Consecrated Virgins, I bid you happy founding Feast Day!  Happy Solemnity of the Annunciation when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Our Lady and made her our first Consecrated Virgin!  How do you celebrate our founding Feast Day?

God's Beloved

The Bride of Christ, the Church was born when Jesus' heart was pierced on the Cross and blood and water flowed out signifying the sacraments of Baptism and Eucharist. So the Founder is Jesus Christ Himself.

The Church was born when Jesus emptied Himself [kenosis] on the cross .

However as Card.Ratzinger said [before becoming Pope] -

"The virginity of Mary became Christian virginity at the same moment in which it became motherhood."

"The Annunciation is a joyful feast –“Rejoice Mary”, the Angel said to the Virgin. But the great, invincible joy was born in a definitive manner only from the Cross, in the Resurrection. The principle of the grain of wheat fallen to the earth, which brings forth fruit only by dying, is the fundamental image of Christian virginity.(John 12, 24) Only by letting go of ourselves do we find ourselves: “At Your word, I will let down the nets!”

Virginity is a radical act of faith and therefore is an intimate union with the crucified Lord in the sense of the word of St. Paul: “I have been crucified with Christ and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me.” I but no longer I- I am dead and risen in communion with the Body of Christ–this is the transformation accomplished in the virginal consecration: to abandon oneself and to find oneself again in the hands of the Lord. The Marian mystery is a mystery of the Cross and for this reason it is a joyful mystery, in the glory of the Risen Lord. I and no longer I, cross and Resurrection, virginity and motherhood, is fulfilled in that Yes of the Madonna, which is the origin and permanent locale of the virginal state.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87834265/1988%20Homily%20from%20Mass%20of%20the%20Consecration%20of%20a%20Virgin%20by%20Card.Ratzinger.pdf

abrideofChrist

God's Beloved, Christ's Bride the Church may have been "born" during the crucifiction.  However, the vocation to Consecrated Virginity began at the Annunciation when the Holy Spirit overshadowed Our Lady.  The vocation's Founder is the Holy Spirit, Who is the origin of all charisms in the Church.  He is the Spouse of the Virgin Mary.  If you have a problem with the Order of Virgins coming into existence before the death of Christ, then you might also have a problem with the Order of Bishops existence before the death of Christ on Holy Thursday (since bishops are "married' to the Church).

Also, we are not called to BECOME Eucharist.  We are called to be conformed to Christ, to adore Christ, to serve Christ, to enjoy Christ.  But we are not called to become Christ.  The source and summit of perfection is the Eucharist, and we are not meant to become the source and summit.

God's Beloved

Dear AbrideofChrist,

You seem to have misunderstood what i have written. I merely referred to what Pope Benedict XVI has preached  as a Cardinal and even during his papacy , including his final speeches and messages as Pope before resignation.So be assured that I'm not writing heresy.

In fact in my own research article on OrdoVirginum i have developed the idea of the Annunciation as the best way to understand what happens at the consecration of virgins.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/87834265/3.%20article%20on%20OrdoVirginum%20VJTR%202011.pdf

The point is that Mary's consecration at the Annunciation acquires its "fullest" meaning [becomes 'christian virginity' ] only later within  the Paschal Mystery  and just as what we profess in the Apostolic creed will be fulfilled only with 'life everlasting'  when the bodies of all Christians will be resurrected  and united with God, the consecration of virgins [ according to me]  acquires it fullest meaning  in the journey of daily life lived in union with the Risen Lord , becoming more and more into the Eucharistic Mystery. [ Of course we are not the Real Presence , but every baptized christian is a presence of Christ in the world].

29 And no one has ever hated his body; he feeds and takes care of it. That is just what Christ does for the Church,
30 because we are a part of his body.
31 Scripture says: Because of this a man shall leave his father and mother to be united with his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.
32 This is a very great mystery, and I refer to Christ and the Church.

[Ephesians 5 ]

God's Beloved

If you type  the following in google search : Behold who you are , become what you receive   there is plenty of Church teaching on this.

St . Augustine--Sermon 272

Augustine delivered this sermon on Easter Sunday.  Many in the congregation had been baptized the night before, at the Easter Vigil service.

What you are seeing on the altar of God, you also saw last night.  But you've not yet heard what it was that you were seeing last night, what it signified, or how great a miracle the sacrament contained.  What you see on the altar is bread and a cup; that is what your eyes announce to you.  But what your faith, in need of further instruction, insists is that the bread is the body of Christ and the cup holds the blood of Christ.  That, indeed, is what has been briefly said to you, and that instruction may be enough for a faithful person. 

But faith desires further instruction.  The prophet Isaiah says: "Unless you believe, you will not understand."  You can say to me, "You have taught us so that we may believe.  Now, set forth the whole teaching so that we may understand."

A thought such as this can arise in someone's mind:  We know our Lord Jesus Christ received flesh from the virgin Mary.  As an infant he was fed his milk, he was nourished, he grew up.  He was led from childhood to young manhood.  He suffered persecution from the Jews, he was suspended and killed upon the wooden cross, from the wooden cross he was brought down, and he was buried.  On the third day he rose again, on the day of his own choosing he ascended into heaven, and to that place he lifted his body.  From heaven he will come so that he may judge the living and the dead; and there, at present, he is sitting at the right hand of the Father.  How, then, is the bread his body?  And the chalice, or what it holds, how is it his blood?

And so these, brothers, are called sacramental mysteries, because one thing is seen in them but another is understood.  What is seen has bodily appearance; what is understood has spiritual fruit.  If therefore you wish to understand the body of Christ, hear the Apostle Paul speaking to the faithful, "But you are the body of Christ, and its members." (1 Corinthians 12:27)  If, therefore, your sacramental mystery has been placed on the table of the Lord, you receive the mystery.  To that which you see in front of you, you respond, "Amen," and by responding you are saying "Yes."  For you hear "body of Christ" and you respond "Amen."  Be a member of the body of Christ so that your "Amen" may be true.

But why in bread?  Let us offer no explanation of our own, but let us hear the same Apostle.  Paul, when he speaks about this sacrament, says, "One bread, one body are we, even though we are many." (1 Cor 12:13) Understand and rejoice: oneness, truth, piety, charity.  "One bread:" who is this one bread?--one body, the many.  Consider that the bread comes to be, not from one grain, but from many.  When you were exorcised  before baptism, you were softened, just as dough is kneaded.  When you were baptized you were sprinkled, just as an unbaked loaf is moistened.  When you accepted the fire of the Holy Spirit it was as if the loaf of bread was baked.  Be what you see, and receive what you are.  That is what the Apostle said about the bread.

Now, the Apostle has shown us clearly enough what we have come to understand about the chalice, even if he did not tell us in so many words.  For just as in bread we see many grains gathered into one loaf, so also with the wine--and so also the faithful, as the scripture says, "They were of one mind and one heart in God." (Acts 4:32)  Brothers, recall where wine comes from.  Many separate grapes hang at the vineyard, but the liquor of the grapes is blended in unity.  So also the Lord Christ meant for us to see ourselves.  He wished to reach us and bring us to himself.  He consecrated the mystery of our peace and unity on his table.  He who receives the sacramental mystery of unity but does not keep the bond of peace, receives not a mystery for himself but a testimony against himself.

Having converted, having turned to the Lord God the omnipotent Father, let us give true and great thanks to him with a pure heart, as much as we are able in our weakness.  With our entire soul let us pray to the Father that in his unique kindness he will graciously hear our prayers; that he will drive away the Enemy from our deeds and thoughts; that he may increase our faith, direct our minds, grant us spiritual thoughts and guide us to his beatitude: through Jesus Christ his son.  Amen.

My comments to St Augustine :

Each and every member of the body of Christ, the Church , BECOME what we receive thru our union with Jesus Christ in the Eucharist , more and more , every time we receive Him throughout our lives.

This Sacrament of Communion  contains the Mystery that belongs to God alone ---because God is the source and summit of our lives. But it also contains the Mystery of the Church who is called to participate more and more in His divinity.

The Bride of Christ is a title of the Church of Christ , gifted to individual consecrated virgins. Why ? So that every  CV can be a sign, an eschatological image, an inspiration of that communion with God and with each other  that  the entire Church is called to BECOME

This according to me does not happen fully in the ceremony of the rite of consecration. The  ceremony is perhaps  the beginning of the journey to holiness , a special grace to help CV to grow from virgin to bride to mother.

It will be accomplished only in Heaven. The eschatological tension [ ALREADY AND NOT YET ] is kept alive in CV.

God's Beloved

Pope Benedict XVI has said , 

"St Augustine helps us to understand the dynamic of Eucharistic communion when he mentions a sort of vision that he had, in which Jesus said to him: “I am the food of strong men; grow and you shall feed on me; nor shall you change me, like the food of your flesh into yourself, but you shall be changed into my likeness” (Confessions, vii, 10, 18).

Therefore whereas food for the body is assimilated by our organism and contributes to nourishing it, in the case of the Eucharist it is a different Bread: it is not we who assimilate it but it assimilates us in itself, so that we become conformed to Jesus Christ, a member of his Body, one with him. This passage is crucial. In fact, precisely because it is Christ who, in Eucharistic communion changes us into him, our individuality, in this encounter, is opened, liberated from its egocentrism and inserted into the Person of Jesus who in his turn is immersed in Trinitarian communion. The Eucharist, therefore, while it unites us to Christ also opens us to others, makes us members of one another: we are no longer divided but one in him. Eucharistic communion not only unites me to the person I have beside me and with whom I may not even be on good terms, but also to our distant brethren in every part of the world.

Hence the profound sense of the Church’s social presence derives from the Eucharist, as is testified by the great social saints who were always great Eucharistic souls. Those who recognize Jesus in the sacred Host, recognize him in their suffering brother or sister, in those who hunger and thirst, who are strangers, naked, sick or in prison; and they are attentive to every person, they work in practice for all who are in need."

abrideofChrist

Pope Benedict XVI has said , 

"St Augustine helps us to understand the dynamic of Eucharistic communion when he mentions a sort of vision that he had, in which Jesus said to him: “I am the food of strong men; grow and you shall feed on me; nor shall you change me, like the food of your flesh into yourself, but you shall be changed into my likeness” (Confessions, vii, 10, 18).

Therefore whereas food for the body is assimilated by our organism and contributes to nourishing it, in the case of the Eucharist it is a different Bread: it is not we who assimilate it but it assimilates us in itself, so that we become conformed to Jesus Christ, a member of his Body, one with him. This passage is crucial. In fact, precisely because it is Christ who, in Eucharistic communion changes us into him, our individuality, in this encounter, is opened, liberated from its egocentrism and inserted into the Person of Jesus who in his turn is immersed in Trinitarian communion. The Eucharist, therefore, while it unites us to Christ also opens us to others, makes us members of one another: we are no longer divided but one in him. Eucharistic communion not only unites me to the person I have beside me and with whom I may not even be on good terms, but also to our distant brethren in every part of the world.

Hence the profound sense of the Church’s social presence derives from the Eucharist, as is testified by the great social saints who were always great Eucharistic souls. Those who recognize Jesus in the sacred Host, recognize him in their suffering brother or sister, in those who hunger and thirst, who are strangers, naked, sick or in prison; and they are attentive to every person, they work in practice for all who are in need."

Pope Benedict is NOT saying we BECOME Eucharist.  He is saying we are both conformed (greater likeness) to Christ (we do not become the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ) and our united more closely to others in the Mystical Body of Christ.  Too many people focus on the greater participation in the Mystical Body aspect of the Eucharist and not on the fact that this is Christ Himself.  Christ's real Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.  It was to this fact of His Real Presence that I was referring to when I said we do not Become Eucharist.  We do not become Christ.  I will not belabor this point.  I do not want a happy celebration post and poll to turn into a theological debate on the nature of the Eucharist or the transubstantiation.

abrideofChrist

The Bride of Christ is a title of the Church of Christ , gifted to individual consecrated virgins. Why ? So that every  CV can be a sign, an eschatological image, an inspiration of that communion with God and with each other  that  the entire Church is called to BECOME

This according to me does not happen fully in the ceremony of the rite of consecration. The  ceremony is perhaps  the beginning of the journey to holiness , a special grace to help CV to grow from virgin to bride to mother.

It will be accomplished only in Heaven. The eschatological tension [ ALREADY AND NOT YET ] is kept alive in CV.

The CV is a sign but she also IS virgin, bride, and mother.  She does not gradually "grow" from one to the next, she is simultaneously all three from the moment the Holy Spirit overshadows her.  Mary became simultaneously consecrated virgin, bride, and mother at the Annunciation.  The Rite shows that we become virgin, bride, and mother, and explains each of those dimensions of our lives.  The progression from virgin to bride to mother is a natural one, and is expressed in marriage.  The simultaneous presence of all three is miraculous and a supernatural one.  We remain virgin though a mother.  We remain a bride instead of matron.  We remain a mother though a virgin. 

Are you familiar with the doctrine concerning virtues?  That when one grows in one virtue, one grows in all?  I would say that growth and experience of the virgin in one dimension of her vocation as virgin, bride, and mother, likewise strengthens and grows her other dimensions.  These are inseparable qualities of the consecrated virgin.  You cannot separate virginity and motherhood in consecrated virginity.  You cannot separate being a bride and being a virgin/mother in consecrated virginity. 

Perhaps,, God's Beloved, you would be so kind as to open different areas of your private speculation as separate posts in this forum instead of piling several different claims in several posts that do not address the original point of this thread?  Otherwise, it is really hard to follow what you are saying and the threads go off topic because people are trying to address separate claims that you make and these separate claims multiply.

God's Beloved

The CV is a sign but she also IS virgin, bride, and mother.  She does not gradually "grow" from one to the next, she is simultaneously all three from the moment the Holy Spirit overshadows her.  Mary became simultaneously consecrated virgin, bride, and mother at the Annunciation.  The Rite shows that we become virgin, bride, and mother, and explains each of those dimensions of our lives.  The progression from virgin to bride to mother is a natural one, and is expressed in marriage.  The simultaneous presence of all three is miraculous and a supernatural one.  We remain virgin though a mother.  We remain a bride instead of matron.  We remain a mother though a virgin. 

Are you familiar with the doctrine concerning virtues?  That when one grows in one virtue, one grows in all?  I would say that growth and experience of the virgin in one dimension of her vocation as virgin, bride, and mother, likewise strengthens and grows her other dimensions.  These are inseparable qualities of the consecrated virgin.  You cannot separate virginity and motherhood in consecrated virginity.  You cannot separate being a bride and being a virgin/mother in consecrated virginity. 

My dear AbrideofChrist

Thank you very much for the above reflection on the integral dimensions of virgin-bride-mother , comparing the natural progression with the spiritual grace/gift . Shall ponder on this.

Perhaps,, God's Beloved, you would be so kind as to open different areas of your private speculation as separate posts in this forum instead of piling several different claims in several posts that do not address the original point of this thread?  Otherwise, it is really hard to follow what you are saying and the threads go off topic because people are trying to address separate claims that you make and these separate claims multiply.

On a friendly note , wish to bring to your attention that I did not write about CV called to BECOME Eucharist on this thread. You picked it from my blog  and made a statement on this thread which could imply that I'm writing heresy .So I had to defend myself . Since the topic has been brought to this thread , let me please end it here by stating that my writing on St Augustine's statement -" Behold who you are, become what you receive "  is more connected with what happens at  the reception of the Eucharist and not with the theology of consecration.

In general the suggestion is that now onwards  if we find anything questionable on the blogs of fellow  CVs  it will be really wonderful to contact each one by email or write a comment on their own blog instead of writing it on this forum. Our Lord Jesus Christ is always happy with a witness of unity. Pray for me and sorry if i caused pain in any way !

abrideofChrist

My dear AbrideofChrist

On a friendly note , wish to bring to your attention that I did not write about CV called to BECOME Eucharist on this thread. You picked it from my blog  and made a statement on this thread which could imply that I'm writing heresy .So I had to defend myself . Since the topic has been brought to this thread , let me please end it here by stating that my writing on St Augustine's statement -" Behold who you are, become what you receive "  is more connected with what happens at  the reception of the Eucharist and not with the theology of consecration.

I apologize, God's Beloved.  I feel pretty badly about this. I re-read this thread and my posts did not make much sense to me and parts were offensive.  I should probably explain that I was replying to the wrong thread and got both threads muddled up.  My post #5 was actually a two part response to posts your #6 and #7 from this other thread at Phatmass

This painful search  has often made me go back to the origin of  this charism  - to  the wound on the Sacred Heart of its founder Jesus Christ  on the Cross  where the  Church was born as His bride. It is an ancient tradition of belief . The  Charism  of  consecrated virginity  from this perspective  is the Identity and Charism of the Universal Church herself

Later  I learnt that christians
believe in the resurrection of the 'body' , and that when we receive
the Eucharist , we do not possess Jesus , but Jesus possesses us and we
BECOME  the Eucharist more and more as we journey through life as a
Eucharistic community . As it is said about the Eucharist, " Behold who
you are , Become what you believe ! "

I should have asked what you meant- whether the whole quoted section referred simply to us receiving the Eucharist or whether it also implied we literally become God (pantheism is somewhat rampant in different places).  My bad.  You clarified this in the present thread but i missed it.

In general the suggestion is that now onwards  if we find anything questionable on the blogs of fellow  CVs  it will be really wonderful to contact each one by email or write a comment on their own blog instead of writing it on this forum. Our Lord Jesus Christ is always happy with a witness of unity. Pray for me and sorry if i caused pain in any way !

You didn't cause any pain. I wasn't responding to your blog, but to the other thread.  I feel you have put a lot of prayer into your blog.  I think you have some very good reflections on our vocation. 

Again, my apologies for my dreadful muddling and my insensitivity.

ABC

I have a question...just as communities wear a habit and yes those that don't..either or we usually know that they are a religious. Being a CV..is it a personal decision to reveal in someway or another that one is a CV or is it all between oneself and our Lord?? Also can a divorced woman with children become a CV?? Thank You and please forgive my ignorance!

God's Beloved

I apologize, God's Beloved.  I feel pretty badly about this. I re-read this thread and my posts did not make much sense to me and parts were offensive.  I should probably explain that I was replying to the wrong thread and got both threads muddled up.  My post #5 was actually a two part response to posts your #6 and #7 from this other thread at Phatmass

I should have asked what you meant- whether the whole quoted section referred simply to us receiving the Eucharist or whether it also implied we literally become God (pantheism is somewhat rampant in different places).  My bad.  You clarified this in the present thread but i missed it.

You didn't cause any pain. I wasn't responding to your blog, but to the other thread.  I feel you have put a lot of prayer into your blog.  I think you have some very good reflections on our vocation. 

Again, my apologies for my dreadful muddling and my insensitivity.

ABC

Dear AbrideofChrist,

May Jesus embrace you on my behalf. It's okay , all this happens between persons still trying to understand each other and we learn from each other's experiences.

You do have some new and deep insights about the vocation. May the Lord be with you every moment of this endeavor.

Love and prayer,

GB

God's Beloved

I have a question...just as communities wear a habit and yes those that don't..either or we usually know that they are a religious. Being a CV..is it a personal decision to reveal in someway or another that one is a CV or is it all between oneself and our Lord?? Also can a divorced woman with children become a CV?? Thank You and please forgive my ignorance!

Dear Nikita,

The ceremony of consecration does provide a ring that marks a CV as bride of Christ. There is an optional provision to receive a veil as well.

Around the world it depends on the culture and discussion with the diocesan bishop as to how a CV will live her vocation. There is usually a lot of flexibility. A small minority of CV wear some form of habit. But all these decisions are unique to each diocese. There is no uniform code of dress around the world.

Historical development :

The early church was called ‘the Way’ because it started more as a movement which got institutionalized by the 4th century. The Order of virgins formed a definite socio-liturgical category within the Christian community and consisted of women –mostly converts . Often they had to observe some discretion with regard to their Identity in the  world. They continued to live with their families or in households of virgins without structured lifestyle.  Their status as consecrated virgins was sometimes known only in the church. Hence in most local churches they did not have a uniform attire. Each one dressed according to the local circumstances, culture, occupation  etc. while maintaining modesty. As Christianity became more widespread and accepted, there emerged a specific rite of consecration or ceremony called the ‘veiling of virgins’ based on Roman marriage rituals, to express their marriage with Christ.

A divorced woman with children cannot become a CV according to Canon 604 . But if she has received an annulment in the church , she can consider other vocations to consecrated life.

Hope this helps.[ what i wrote is from Asian perspective ].

AbrideofChrist can give you her thoughts on this from the American perspective.

Edited by God's Beloved