An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gift For A Monk

carmenchristi

carmenchristi

Ok so I'm thinking of an end if the year gift for my professor who had been a huge help to me, not just academically... Has listened to my sob stories and has been really patient with my issues regarding my studies. The thing is, what do you give a Benedictine monk? I mean, I don't think the community is super strict (he is from Einsideln), but still normally I would give a professor a jar of honey and bottle of wine or something like that, but the Benedictines MAkE all that kind if stuff... So that's dumb.... Any ideas? Oh and I can't bake anything because I don't have a kitchen....

Nihil Obstat

With his vow of poverty, his order may require him to turn gifts over to his community, or something along those lines, so probably something small and consumable like you are thinking would be the way to go. What about something along the lines of a nice personal letter, and a few Masses offered for his intentions?

homeschoolmom

With his vow of poverty, his order may require him to turn gifts over to his community, or something along those lines, so probably something small and consumable like you are thinking would be the way to go. What about something along the lines of a nice personal letter, and a few Masses offered for his intentions?

Yeah, that. Or is there some small item that his whole community could use? Like a book or something?

He can own personal items. I suggest find something that he is interested in and give him something modest pertaining to that.  For example, the Abbot at a near by Benedictine Monastery was the celebrant of my wedding. He enjoys camping, so I gifted him a Swiss army knife with the date of my wedding on the big blade.  

carmenchristi

Thanks for all the great ideas! Turns out that there is a "private detective" on phatmass who is going to investigate tha matter!

reminiscere

From the 22nd Chapter of the Rule of St. Benedict, "How the Monks are to sleep"

Let them sleep clothed and girded with cinctures or cords, that they may be always ready; but let them not have knives at their sides whilst they sleep, lest perchance they be wounded

Vestiti dormiant et cincti cingellis aut funibus, ut cultellos suos ad latus suum non habeant dum dormiunt, ne forte per somnum vulnerent dormientem

Get him a knife!

MonkKnife.jpg

... or not

Nihil Obstat

From the 22nd Chapter of the Rule of St. Benedict, "How the Monks are to sleep"

I guess he should not wear it to bed then. Lol.

carmenchristi

I'll keep that in mind!!! Since he is Swiss, he probably already has a Swiss Army knife... That is probably safer ;) so I'm thinking about putting together a little basket of healthy snacks since he is always talking about being on a diet and cheating on the diet!