Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 How do you tip hotel housekeeping when you don't see them? You just leave it in a conspicuous place in the room.
CrossCuT Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 I didnt even know that you were suppose to tip your hair dresser till a couple years ago.
Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 Couple more of my own thoughts on this: In most cases, If you're only going to tip 50 cents or a dollar, it's probably best to not tip at all. Tipping that small of amount comes across as insulting rather than appreciative. Tips should be based on the quality of service rendered and not the bill amount. If the service at a restaurant is mediocre, but the server is "slammed," take that into consideration when tipping. I have a problem with businesses that pay their employees less than they deserve, and expect customers to supplement their income. Tips shouldn't be expected, but rather appreciated
GeorgiiMichael Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Couple more of my own thoughts on this: In most cases, If you're only going to tip 50 cents or a dollar, it's probably best to not tip at all. Tipping that small of amount comes across as insulting rather than appreciative. Tips should be based on the quality of service rendered and not the bill amount. If the service at a restaurant is mediocre, but the server is "slammed," take that into consideration when tipping. I have a problem with businesses that pay their employees less than they deserve, and expect customers to supplement their income. Tips shouldn't be expected, but rather appreciated Maybe that is how it "should" be, but that's not how it is. Tipping less than 15% is insulting. Not tipping at least $2 per person at a table is also insulting, so when you go to a diner and everyone only gets water and toast, shell out $2 per person when tipping. It's not insulting to put 50 cents - $1 in a tip jar at a coffee shop or something, but that's also not an expected tip. So stop complaining and start tipping like a decent human being.
Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 So tipping at least 15%, or two dollars a person are the magic numbers, huh? How about the server who expects at least 18% or he/she feels insulted? Are they just being greedy? What if it's dead and the server doesn't stop by your table at all to see how you're doing? Do they deserve these arbitrary minimum tip rates?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Tipping less than 15% is insulting. Not tipping at least $2 per person at a table is also insulting, so when you go to a diner and everyone only gets water and toast, shell out $2 per person when tipping. It's not insulting to put 50 cents - $1 in a tip jar at a coffee shop or something, but that's also not an expected tip. So stop complaining and start tipping like a decent human being. (Canadians tip a bit less than Americans, so the 10-15% range is a slightly low normal, but would not be out of place in any restaurant.) At a bar if I am getting a drink from the bartender as opposed to the serving staff, I will usually tip $1-2 per drink instead of working out percentages.
Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 (edited) Feeling insulted is a two-way street. If the service I receive at a restaurant isn't worth a fair gratuity, I feel insulted. Edited April 17, 2013 by Chestertonian
Nihil Obstat Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Feeling insulted is a two-way street. If the service I receive at a restaurant isn't worth a fair gratuity, I feel insulted. Yeah, I am fully prepared to leave a small tip or nothing at all if the service is insultingly bad. I have not had the misfortune yet, thankfully.
Basilisa Marie Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 So tipping at least 15%, or two dollars a person are the magic numbers, huh? How about the server who expects at least 18% or he/she feels insulted? Are they just being greedy? What if it's dead and the server doesn't stop by your table at all to see how you're doing? Do they deserve these arbitrary minimum tip rates? Yes they deserve minimum tip rates. Because even when it's dead, servers have work to do to get ready for the times when it's not dead. There's a whole lot more going on than what you see. Plus lots of people prefer to be mostly left alone when they go out to eat - how can you expect a server to know exactly which customers prefer to be left alone and which want someone to stop by and see how they're doing? Have you ever actually met a server that expects 18% all the time? Especially one that doesn't work in a fancy restaurant? 15-20% is standard for dinner.
Basilisa Marie Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 I've noticed that the people who have actually worked in food service usually tip the best, because they're the ones who actually understand all the factors that go into trying to provide a good "dining experience" for customers, and that servers are the first to get screwed when any of those factors goes wrong. Is the steak overcooked because the steak guy on the line didn't pay attention? there goes your tip. Are you in charge of two sections of tables because your coworker called off? there goes your tip. Are you at the tail end of an 8 hour shift without a single break and you aren't feeling quite as perky as when you started? there goes your tip. Is there a hostess or busboy who get a mandatory cut of all your tips? there goes your tip. It's one thing if you see your server just blatantly standing around, chatting with coworkers and not paying attention to your table. But there are so many reasons why being a server is hard, and lots of people who haven't worked in the industry don't understand that.
Slappo Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 If I have to flag down my server every time I need or want something, then it's not good service. I don't care if people prefer to be mostly left alone. I've never heard of or seen someone upset because a server walked past their table, noticed the waters were low, and filled them up. I've also never seen someone upset because 10 minutes into the meal the server asked if there was anything else the party needed. I definitely prefer to be left alone and I really dislike it when wait staff try to engage in polite conversation about anything other than the meal they are serving me. Wait staff that come over and make faces at my daughter and tell us how cute she is are disrupting my meal. That's way different than wait staff ensuring the meal is satisfactory and filling drinks.
Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 I've noticed that the people who have actually worked in food service usually tip the best, because they're the ones who actually understand all the factors that go into trying to provide a good "dining experience" for customers, and that servers are the first to get screwed when any of those factors goes wrong. Is the steak overcooked because the steak guy on the line didn't pay attention? there goes your tip. Are you in charge of two sections of tables because your coworker called off? there goes your tip. Are you at the tail end of an 8 hour shift without a single break and you aren't feeling quite as perky as when you started? there goes your tip. Is there a hostess or busboy who get a mandatory cut of all your tips? there goes your tip. It's one thing if you see your server just blatantly standing around, chatting with coworkers and not paying attention to your table. But there are so many reasons why being a server is hard, and lots of people who haven't worked in the industry don't understand that. I've worked in food service for a lot longer than I would have liked to, so I do know what goes on behind the scenes. I was a server for several years and I tried hard to please my customers. Most of the time it really paid off. If I was having an off day, I generally made less in tips. It wasn't surprising or insulting. Servers aren't charity cases. The amount they earn is generally based on their performance, just like everyone else's.
Chestertonian Posted April 17, 2013 Author Posted April 17, 2013 Yeah, I am fully prepared to leave a small tip or nothing at all if the service is insultingly bad. I have not had the misfortune yet, thankfully. I've had it happen several times, but I dine out way more than I should.
homeschoolmom Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Pant.s! Veils! Modest swimsuits!! I think this is one of those Phatmass repeating topics. I like these table signs at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co.
Nihil Obstat Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Pant.s! Veils! Modest swimsuits!! I think this is one of those Phatmass repeating topics. I like these table signs at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. This one is a gunpowder subject on any internet forum, apparently. We are probably doing better than your average internet group on the topic, in that respect. :hehe: A particularly 'active' thread on tipping has been known to destabilize entire fora sometimes.
homeschoolmom Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 I once nearly brought down a homeschool forum by asking if it was customary where people lived to remove shoes at someone's home, and if you request guests to remove shoes in your home. Went on for pages and pages... :|
ToJesusMyHeart Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 So do you request shoes to be removed in your home?
Nihil Obstat Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 (edited) I once nearly brought down a homeschool forum by asking if it was customary where people lived to remove shoes at someone's home, and if you request guests to remove shoes in your home. Went on for pages and pages... :| Geez, you are good. :hehe: Canadians normally take shoes off in someone's house, their own or someone else's. Very occasionally there are times where leaving shoes on is normal, for instance if it is in the summer and half the guests are on the deck and half are inside, something like that. But even then lots of people would still take shoes off. (Edit: And you would not leave your shoes on unless the host specifically told you it was ok.) It is kind of weird for me, as a Canadian, to be down in the US where people often leave their shoes on inside. :smile3: Takes a lot of getting used to. (Our way is better. :| ) Edited April 17, 2013 by Nihil Obstat
homeschoolmom Posted April 17, 2013 Posted April 17, 2013 Geez, you are good. :hehe: Canadians normally take shoes off in someone's house, their own or someone else's. Very occasionally there are times where leaving shoes on is normal, for instance if it is in the summer and half the guests are on the deck and half are inside, something like that. But even then lots of people would still take shoes off. (Edit: And you would not leave your shoes on unless the host specifically told you it was ok.) It is kind of weird for me, as a Canadian, to be down in the US where people often leave their shoes on inside. :smile3: Takes a lot of getting used to. (Our way is better. :| ) Starting a new thread...
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now