An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Breviary Online

ReginaCaeliLaetare

ReginaCaeliLaetare

JM+JT

Does anyone know if the Divine Office according to the ancient Carmelite Rite is available online? I thought I had seen a link to it posted here before, but I am having trouble finding the post.

My deepest gratitude!

Devotedly in the Heart of Jesus

Chiara Francesco

Here is the Discalced Carmelite Proper Offices of Carmelite Saints and Blesseds in the Liturgy of the Hours:  http://carmelcanada.org/liturgy/office.pdf

Another site that has what looks like the same but with a slightly different  name (I think, I didn't go through both to see) and has other great Carmelite books and resources online and is a great blog:  http://www.meditationsfromcarmel.com/content/carmelite-resources

These are the Supplement that goes with the regular Divine Office Hours and NOT the Divine Office itself.

If these are Ancient Rite or if this is what you are looking for, I don't know but maybe it will help some else! 

Chiquitunga

Hmmm... as far as I can remember the only site I've site with the old Divine Office is the Roman rite - http://divinumofficium.com/  I cannot remember the Carmelite rite anywhere, but may have just forgotten  I think I posted a link to an eBay auction once that had lots of pictures (think link doesn't work anymore though I saved the pictures I'm pretty sure)... this is the only way I've seen it so far. If I find or remember anything else I'll post it here :like:

Chiara Francesco

A friend sent me this info on this breviary:

"I see that someone on VS is asking for the Carmelite Breviary. I know a source from Brazil. But it is only in Latin.

Once on this page, press on the word "Salterio" on the left hand side.  A link will pop-up to the Carmelite Rite Office.  It is there in its briefest form on paper.
But when sung & following all the rubrics, it is just as long, if not longer, than the Traditional Roman Breviary.  I visited this community (women's branch), so I heard it and participated in it.

For any community to use this Carmelite Rite Breviary or the Carmelite Rite TLM (also known as The Riteof the Holy Sepulcher because it was in use in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem for centuries), they need the permission of the Superior General of the O. Carm. Order."

ReginaCaeliLaetare

JM+JT

Thank you all so very much!

Nikita, no, I am not a religious. I am visiting the Jesus, Mary and Joseph Carmel in Valparaiso next weekend. I wanted to prepare a bit by translating the Latin beforehand.

Chiara Francesco, send my many thanks to your friend! The Salterio link on the Brazilian site is (I think) exactly what I'm looking for. Would you or your friend know if the same psalms are used for Matins each day? The other websites you provided have very nice material on them, too. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Chiquitunga, I had thought it was you who had posted the link! :) I must have remembered incorreclty - not too surprising given my "selective" memory. I am happy you posted a reply here so I could stop hunting. Also, that's a great site for the Roman Breviary. Having the English right there certainly makes translating easier!

truthfinder

JM+JT

Nikita, no, I am not a religious. I am visiting the Jesus, Mary and Joseph Carmel in Valparaiso next weekend. I wanted to prepare a bit by translating the Latin beforehand.

Hi ReginaCaeliLaetare,

does the JMJ Carmel use the trad. Carm Breviary?  At Trent, OCDs transferred to the regular latin rite; since JMJ Carmel is OCD, and not O.Carm, I would be surprised (although pleasantly) if they use the Carm Breviary.

Chiquitunga

Hi ReginaCaeliLaetare,

does the JMJ Carmel use the trad. Carm Breviary?  At Trent, OCDs transferred to the regular latin rite; since JMJ Carmel is OCD, and not O.Carm, I would be surprised (although pleasantly) if they use the Carm Breviary.

Be pleasantly surprised, they do :like: When they switched to the old Mass they decided to go with the Carmelite rite instead of Roman rite. Yes, totally unique for Discalced Carmelites. I believe it had something to do with the Carmelite Monks in WY reprinting the books and providing them for them. They also seem to be happy to be praying from the same breviary that St. Teresa did :saint:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfJesusMaryJosephValparaisoNE#5051543847235483010

Chiquitunga

In case you'd like to see them though, here are the few images I saved from eBay, etc. of the Carmelite Rite (O.Carm.) Breviary (a few duplicates there) https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmeliteRiteBreviary?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMab_u-Y_f2RiQE&feat=directlink

And the Roman Breviary for Discalced Carmelites - https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/RomanBreviaryForDiscalcedCarmelites?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLHo5cD1zYy5xgE&feat=directlink

Chiara, that was an amazing find from your friend!! So cool!!! Thanks for posting it (& thank you also from me to your friend who's probably reading this :)) and thank you ReginaCaeli for starting this thread which led to this discovery  :like:

Chiara Francesco

JM+JT

Chiara Francesco, send my many thanks to your friend! The Salterio link on the Brazilian site is (I think) exactly what I'm looking for. Would you or your friend know if the same psalms are used for Matins each day? The other websites you provided have very nice material on them, too. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Chiquitunga, I had thought it was you who had posted the link! :) I must have remembered incorreclty - not too surprising given my "selective" memory. I am happy you posted a reply here so I could stop hunting. Also, that's a great site for the Roman Breviary. Having the English right there certainly makes translating easier!

My friend answered me this:

"I really don't know the answer about the psalms for Matins....They use only what is on their site (men's site) but with handouts at times. The Mass, too, is the Carmelite Rite.

One does not need permission to use the Carmelite Breviary privately; only for public use by religious communities.
There is a nuns site for the same community: http://www.carmelotradicional.blogspot.com/They use the same liturgical books as the Friars.

Both are thinking of making a foundation here in the US. I wonder if anyone is interested? Their age limit is 40 but they will consider older vocations.

They are hermit/nuns who have various options: living as a hermitess or as a monastic. The monastics can be either
choir nuns or lay sisters. There is not much difference because the lay sisters also pray the Divine Office and follow the same prayer life.  However, the hermitesses & choir Sisters work in their cells while the lay-sisters work outside their cells."

ReginaCaeliLaetare

JM+JT

Be pleasantly surprised, they do :like: When they switched to the old Mass they decided to go with the Carmelite rite instead of Roman rite. Yes, totally unique for Discalced Carmelites. I believe it had something to do with the Carmelite Monks in WY reprinting the books and providing them for them. They also seem to be happy to be praying from the same breviary that St. Teresa did :saint:

https://picasaweb.google.com/112954809546652959393/CarmelOfJesusMaryJosephValparaisoNE#5051543847235483010

Chiquitunga, thank you so much for sharing these photos! I had never seen most of them. It's nice to see a little inside the enclosure, since I don't imagine one sees it unless they enter. Reverend Mother Teresa's words in the Las Vegas booklet just melted my heart. Have you visited before?

I also really appreciate the ebay Breviary pictures you posted. How beautiful the art in them is!

Chiara, thank you and your friend again. This has been so much help! (I love this forum already. May God reward you all!) I want to put together a little booklet with the Latin on one side and the English on the other. Something tells me I won't finish this week. :) Thank you also for the information about the Monastery & nuns. Unfortuantely, I could only enjoy the pictures on the website you provided since I don't know Portuguese (is it?), though enjoy them I did!

inperpetuity

A friend sent me this info on this breviary:

"I see that someone on VS is asking for the Carmelite Breviary. I know a source from Brazil. But it is only in Latin.

Once on this page, press on the word "Salterio" on the left hand side.  A link will pop-up to the Carmelite Rite Office.  It is there in its briefest form on paper.
But when sung & following all the rubrics, it is just as long, if not longer, than the Traditional Roman Breviary.  I visited this community (women's branch), so I heard it and participated in it.

For any community to use this Carmelite Rite Breviary or the Carmelite Rite Traditional Latin Mass (also known as The Riteof the Holy Sepulcher because it was in use in the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem for centuries), they need the permission of the Superior General of the O. Carm. Order."

This is wonderful that they have posted the Carmelite Breviary online.  I am happy to see that their move to Paraguay is complete.  They have an excellent bishop there who welcomed them with open  arms.  They had to endure quite a bit of persecution in San Paulo, Brazil.  I and a friend of mine have been in touch with them and they do plan to make a foundation in the US.  Several people I know including a priest have offered to help them find land and found here. I hope it can happen soon!  I would join them in a heartbeat, and I think their life of austerity is beautiful, but I seriously doubt I could do it especially the no mattress part, not even a little straw.... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...