An Old School Catholic Message Board

Letting Go Of A Loved Animal Companion (aka Pet)

Guest Allie

Guest Allie

So my kitty,Traherne, is almost 10 yrs old .  He was a baby when I got him on my 12th birthday. We've been together ever since. (Right now he's batting at my fingers for attention.)  Even though I know he'll be fine back at my folks (where he is loved and appreciated) it's the only thing that brings me to tears when I think of entering.  I know it's silly to be so attached and I will give him up when the time comes.  But I sure love this kitty. :heart: :kitten:

Anyone else have a  loved animal they are letting go of? 

OnlySunshine

This is something I struggled with when I was discerning religious life.  My family and I have a 14 year old lab mix that is our baby.  We got her for my Mom on Mother's Day in 1999 when she was 6 months old.  It would have been extremely hard to leave her since I've been caring for her during the day, giving her medication and attention.  Now that I'm not entering religious life, it's still hard to leave to move out on my own or get a job without worrying whether or not it'll stress her out and I couldn't live with myself if that happened.  :(

dominicansoul

I had my terrier for 10 years when I entered the Nashies.  When I came home, he was gone.  Mom said he just wandered away and after an extensive search, he was never found.  I think he left looking for me.  :(  Who knows, he might have ended up in Nashville with a record deal... lol...

Spem in alium

My dog left us (went AWOL) about four months ago. She would have been very hard to say goodbye to :(

Sheep & cattle. They're great fun to watch.

maximillion

I think sometimes pets are the hardest of all to leave....you can explain to a human but trying to explain to your companion animal is much more difficult.

My dog died before I entered otherwise it would have been an enormous sacrifice to have left him with my mum....

My prayers for all of you who are facing this separation.

AccountDeleted

So my kitty,Traherne, is almost 10 yrs old .  He was a baby when I got him on my 12th birthday. We've been together ever since. (Right now he's batting at my fingers for attention.)  Even though I know he'll be fine back at my folks (where he is loved and appreciated) it's the only thing that brings me to tears when I think of entering.  I know it's silly to be so attached and I will give him up when the time comes.  But I sure love this kitty. :heart: :kitten:

Anyone else have a  loved animal they are letting go of? 

Allie - it is always hard to give up things (or people or pets) that we love, but God has his own way of supporting us through these heartaches. Does your new community have any pets? This topic is on my mind because I just posted a blog entry about our two monastery cats http://carmeliteswolverhampton.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/monastery-cats.html.

I try very hard not to get attached to either of them but they are a wonderful source of joy for the whole community, and I know that God would laugh at some of their antics too. There was another cat here the first time I entered, but he has passed on to kitty heaven, if there is such a place. I don't see how someone could not feel as you do after so many years. The longest I had a cat was 11 years and I was very upset when I left Australia and couldn't take her with me back to the States at that time. I found her a good home, but there will always be a place in my heart for the joy and comfort she gave me over so many years. Loving is good. :heart:

carmenchristi

I was heartbroken leaving my horses behind, even more so when my parents sold one. Now she is back home though. Also my dog died when I was in the convent. It was hard. I know my belief in doggy heaven is a little unorthodox, so won't start a discussion! But I'm sure that The Lord rewards this sort of sacrifice.

BarbTherese

Very sorry to read that your dog died while in the convent. That would be very hard.  Happy to read your horse is back home.  It must have been absolutely difficult putting it mildly to leave pets that you love - and in order to follow a potential call from God.  Being a pet lover myself, heartrenching to know one had been sold.

Hold fast - endless are the rewards of The Lord!  I believe in a pet heaven too. Not of course the Beatific Vision however which is methinks only for rational souls with the capacity. 

But why is it when I go to prayer time and say "Prayer time, kids", two little four footed creatures (maltese cross and moggie) run ahead of me to my little oratory space and wait - and during prayer, they are asleep beside me- and present such contemplative type images.  I am rather often distracted just to look at those beautiful images asleep, while my heart rises in Adoration and Praise of God for the gift they are.  How on earth could such a Creator see such beauty pass into oblivion.  I hold, that God does not create in order to destroy and St Paul thought the same.  One day, we will know for sure, absolute sureness is just not for us as yet. 

" "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man, what things God hath prepared for them that love him"

1 Corinthians Ch2:9

Guest Allie

Traherne  climbs in my lap when I pray the rosary and quietly watches. He always waits until I'm finished and then jumps down.

Golden Years

My part Siamese tuxedo cat Wookie...... black with a white chest (obviously a Benedicitine).  She meows loudly at me when I try to pray, or do anything else besides sit with her on the couch, because how dare I ignore her royal highness after leaving her alone all day at work?  Wookie, named for the Star Wars beast Chewbacca, because she used to chew on everything when we got her.  Wookie, who throws up every other meal and has destroyed half of my furniture and gets cat hair on everything else.  Wookie, who stares at me through every meal begging for her rightful share, and then when I give her some walks away as if to say "you expect me to eat THAT?"  Wookie......who has moved across the country with me three times, who my son brought home as a kitten 13 years ago.  Who is going to put up with her except me?  :cry: