An Old School Catholic Message Board

Detective Fiction

Not The Philosopher

Not The Philosopher

Although I've been more of an SF/Fantasy fan for most of my hitherto brief existence, in recent years detective fiction has finally started to click with me (thank you, Chesterton). I've spent the past few months reading the Sherlock Holmes stories, as well as some Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers (I'm in the middle of the latter's Gaudy Night right now). So pretty much all of my reading so far has been the classic British stuff.

Anyone else interested in detective fiction here? And if you're less of a neophyte than I: is there a good 'starter' novel for P.D. James? Any other recommendations/favourites?

Not The Philosopher

Currently reading the Complete Father Brown Series by G.K. Chesterton.

Good stuff.

Yeah, that was what got the ball rolling for me.

I started reading Ecylclopedia Brown when I was 3, Agatha Christie when I was 8. I like Kathy Reichs now.

Nihil Obstat

Apparently Ronald Knox is considered one of the greats of detective fiction, and of course he is the great man behind the Knox Bible translation.

Not The Philosopher

Apparently Ronald Knox is considered one of the greats of detective fiction, and of course he is the great man behind the Knox Bible translation.

The man came up with his own ten commandments of detective fiction, according to wikipedia:

Knox's "Ten Commandments" (or "Decalogue") are as follows:

1. The criminal must be mentioned in the early part of the story, but must not be anyone whose thoughts the reader has been allowed to know.
  2. All supernatural or preternatural agencies are ruled out as a matter of course.
  3. Not more than one secret room or passage is allowable.
  4. No hitherto undiscovered poisons may be used, nor any appliance which will need a long scientific explanation at the end.
  5. No Chinaman must figure in the story.
  6. No accident must ever help the detective, nor must he ever have an unaccountable intuition which proves to be right.
  7. The detective himself must not commit the crime.
  8. The detective is bound to declare any clues which he may discover.
  9. The "sidekick" of the detective, the Watson, must not conceal from the reader any thoughts which pass through his mind: his intelligence must be slightly, but very slightly, below that of the average reader.
  10. Twin brothers, and doubles generally, must not appear unless we have been duly prepared for them.