An Old School Catholic Message Board

" Catholics In The United States Can Kneel Now"

LadyOfSorrows

Spem in alium

That's interesting. Is it very common for people to kneel generally, or would it be a practice of particular parishes? I ask because when I went to Mass while in the States, no one I saw knelt to receive the Eucharist.

Here, it's not common practice and seems to be dependent on a parish's community. No one kneels at my home church, but when I go to Mass at university there are a few who do.

We used to only have 2 or 3 people kneel to receive per Sunday mass. Then our church had kneelers installed where people receive the Eucharist and now about a third of our parish does. I think a lot more people would do it if more churches had altar rails and/or kneelers. It's a lot more comfortable and less awkward with them, especially if you have bad knees like I do.

xTrishaxLynnx

PS- didn't mean to have a lowercase C for Catholics...

That happens automatically when  you use another character before the first word of your title, I think. You can edit and put a space between the " and the C and it should be corrected.

homeschoolmom

That happens automatically when  you use another character before the first word of your title, I think. You can edit and put a space between the " and the C and it should be corrected.

Fixed.

ToJesusMyHeart

http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2013/apr/25/catholics-united-states-can-kneel-now/

I'm a little confused. While I usually stand, there have been a few times that I've kneeled for Holy Communion, but was never instructed to do differently by the priest...

Any thoughts on this?

I kneel for Holy Communion, and there have been a few times when EMHC have given me nasty looks for it, and priests have frowned and begrudgingly placed Jesus onto my tongue. 

We've never been barred from kneeling.

GET READY FROM THE FLAMEWAR!

It is true that the Church has never barred anybody from kneeling, but there have certainly been priests who have refused to give Holy Communion to people who kneel down. I have several friends who were denied Holy Communion on the basis of them being on their knees. The Church herself never barred anybody, but people have most definitely been barred by individual priests, and been thoroughly scarred because of it. After I was harassed for it, I decided I need to print off the documents that describe blatantly that we are never to be denied the Eucharist for kneeling, just in case any priest or EMHC ever tries to refuse Communion to me because I'm kneeling. I carry the documents in my purse.

There are about 12 people out of 5,000 who kneel at my parish. It was 2 at the beginning of last year, and has grown to the 12 we have now. It's a beautiful thing! 

I have yet to go to any parish at which they will actually tell you you can't receive communion while kneeling. Never, not even at Lumen Christi, which I have heard some call "Starship Lumen" and is possibly the second most liberal parish in my entire diocese. Sure, some EMHCs will get confused, but I've never seen anyone get told off or refused. Huh.

GeorgiiMichael

I was given "pastoral correction" when I knelt to receive at a daily mass back when I was still at university last year. Something about how it was the "norm" in US dioceses and that the US Bishops "encourage" the faithful to receive while standing up or some rubbish like that. The priest didn't deny me, but he pulled me aside after mass.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

In My Parish it is definitely the individual's choice, with the vast numbers receiving standing but on the tongue and a good number of people beginning to genuflect instead of bowing in reverence. We made an altar server training video in which we intentionally showed all of the servers receiving KotT. Since then we have seen an increase in the number of servers who elect to receive on the tongue in general and during daily mass when the servers' don't move position in order to make room for the Battalions of EMHCs...Most elect to receive kneeling as well. This change in server mentality has fed into the perceived Parish practices...just do whatever the servers do...It's what I was first taught going to my first Mass. It seems to have broad application.