An Old School Catholic Message Board

40 Catholic Virtues

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Does anyone have a list they could give me of the "40 Virtues to enter Heaven" or that they could direct me to, please? I'm not looking for the 4 Cardinal virtues or the moral virtues or human virtues or any of that. There is a list of 40 virtues somewhere that I heard about but cannot re-locate. 

The Dominican priest Fr. Réginald Marie Garrigou-Lagrange, O.P., is the source I heard that notes the 40 virtues needed to combat the deadly sins, and thus become a saint (enter Heaven).

This is just research. I understand that acquiring 40 virtues won't get you into heaven. 

Does anybody know about these?

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

Nihil Obstat

This thread is the third hit when you Google "Réginald Marie Garrigou-Lagrange + 40 virtues". :hehe2: I cannot say I have ever heard of it before. Although I was just a few weeks ago looking up Fr. Garrigou-Lagrange for some reason. I cannot now remember why. Maybe I have a book by him...

And you have a neat-o signature. :) I've actually been posting here since 2009, but haven't posted much in the last couple of years.

Thanks!

That would explain it then; I joined in 2011.

Edited by Byzantine

he did text me back and said, "Not familiar with that title...Don't think it is by Garrigou Lagrange". So. There's that. I trust his knowledge, pretty sure part of his thesis or whatever was on Fr. Lagrange. 

This article mentions a previous post, located here, which quotes Fr. LaGrange:

Happily, contrary to what is true of the virtues, these vices or defects are not connected. One may have some without the others; several indeed are contradictory: for example, one cannot be avaricious and prodigal at one and the same time.

But we have to practice numerous virtues, forty or more, if we count all the virtues annexed to the principal ones. With the exception of justice, each stands like a summit between two contrary vices: the one by excess, such as temerity; the other by defect, such as cowardice.
Moreover, certain defects resemble certain virtues: for instance, pride is in some ways similar to magnanimity. It is important to have discretion or Christian prudence to discern clearly the virtue from the defect which in certain respects resembles it. Otherwise, false notes may be struck on the keyboard of the virtues: for example, pusillanimity may be confounded with humility, severity with justice, weakness with mercy.