An Old School Catholic Message Board

Serbia Rocked By Orthodox Sex Scandal

Lil Red

http://www.speroforum.com/site/print.asp?id=TVPRBXMUQR56

:(

Following the release of a graphic video, the Serbian Orthodox Church accepted the resignation of the bishop of Tuzla and Zvornik in Bosnia-Herzegovina. BishopVasilije Kacavenda had already left behind his clerical duties as allegations emerged that he had used his office to engage in sexual orgies involving young girls and boys. The acceptance by the Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church on April 22 has been reported to be the first acknowledgement by the church of its disapproval withbehaviour that locals have compared to the bacchanals of the infamous Emperor Caligula rather than a Christian atmosphere. The Serbian Orthodox Church claims the allegiance of the majority of the people of Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

OC.net has been talking about this scandal for about a week now. Evidently a video was released that shows Bishop Basil of Zvornik "interacting" sexually with young men. Now I wonder if the American and European media will report on this as a homosexual scandal, which it primarily is, or will they do as they have done over the course of the last decade with the Catholic abuse scandal and try to minimize the homosexual nature of what went on.

If it's not consensual, then it's rape. Rape is about power. Pedophilia and ephebophilia are distinct from homosexuality. We might really, really want to have something to bash ordinary homosexuals about, but how about we don't do that stupid shyte, this time?

One of them, a Bosnian Muslim girl, claimed that Kacavenda forced her to convert to the Orthodox Church, but also raped her when she was 16 years old.

Distract from the fact that this predator assaulted his victims for his pleasure by going with the "homosexual" angle. Great. It's not like society already has trouble just ending the lives of these people, let's give the massive numbers of morons something else to focus on. Because that's what they'll do. Given the choice, they'll ignore the predatory nature of the acts and go for the "sexual perversion", because it will make them feel more comfortable that it's supposedly some kind of choice.

Edited by Winchester

I think the bigger sex scandal would be the moral and pastoral support the Serbian Church lent to the Bosnian Serb army; an army that utilized rape on a mass scale in order to facilitate ethnic cleansing.

I think the bigger sex scandal would be the moral and pastoral support the Serbian Church lent to the Bosnian Serb army; an army that utilized rape on a mass scale in order to facilitate ethnic cleansing.

This is a variant of Apo's stupidity.

"Oh look, bigger atrocity!"

Let's all stop talking about child predators! Let's talk about the gays and the ethnic cleansing!

But at least Hasan is focusing on the assault, and not attraction to similar genitalia.

So you say. But of course ethnic cleansing by Muslims over the course of the 300 years that they controlled the region is unimportant to you. The ethnic hatreds run deep in that part of the world, and most have their origin in the Islamic conquest and destruction of the Byzantine Empire.

This is a variant of Apo's stupidity.

"Oh look, bigger atrocity!"

Let's all stop talking about child predators! Let's talk about the gays and the ethnic cleansing!

But at least Hasan is focusing on the assault, and not attraction to similar genitalia.

Since the scandal broke it has been quite evident that the bishop in question has a thing for boys and men. It reminds me of the sex scandal in the Roman Church, which really is homosexual in nature. Have some girls and women been abused in both cases? Yes, but less than 5 percent of the cases overall.

I am simply pointing out that the origin of the problem is one of allowing homosexuals into the ranks of the clergy, a thing that both the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches have traditionally not allowed.

You can put your head in the sand if you want. It doesn't bother me, and in fact you look better that way.

I am simply pointing out that the origin of the problem is one of allowing homosexuals into the ranks of the clergy, a thing that both the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches have traditionally not allowed.

You can put your head in the sand if you want. It doesn't bother me, and in fact you look better that way.

It's not head in the sand, it's understanding the difference between a homosexual and a predator.

See, funny thing about predators: They know how to get into the hunting grounds. You don't get that. That makes you useless, and your ideas a distraction. The problem isn't dudes who like other dudes: It's grown men who like children. Forget head in the sand; get your head out of your ass.

Edited by Winchester

If it's not consensual, then it's rape. Rape is about power. Pedophilia and ephebophilia are distinct from homosexuality. We might really, really want to have something to bash ordinary homosexuals about, but how about we don't do that stupid shyte, this time?

Reading the article left me unsure about which of these it is. Pedophilia is a disorder in which adults are attracted to children before they start puberty, so age 11 or 12 and under. Hebephilia is attraction to children age 12-15, and ephebonophilia is attraction to 16-19 year olds. Since most adults experience some attraction to people this age (if you don't believe me show a picture of an attractive 18 year old girl to a group to a group of men) ephebonophilia isn't generally considered to be a disorder by psychologists, and due to varying age of consent laws it's legal for adults to have sex with people during some or all of those years pretty much everywhere. 

So where does this bishop fall under? Well the article isn't exactly clear, and indeed even seems self-contradictiry. First it says:

"They tried on many occasions to put me in a compromising situation myself or to pull me into their circle," Jovanovic said. "[The bishop] also suggested that I should use the school where I was teaching science to bring him children up to the age of 10, but of course I refused. I was also a witness when abbots from other monasteries would bring theology students who would spend the night with the bishop.

This certainly seems like a case of pedophilia, as 10 or under certainly fits into that age group.

However, they only list 2 victims both of whom were 16 at the time of the incident. One was a girl and the other I think was a both, although it was kind of hard to tell from the Eastern European name (Milic) and they annoyingly never refer to the student as him or her. Also, they put this picture in the article:

[url=http://s1178.photobucket.com/user/JimmyMB777/media/kacavendastripper_zps1d191965.jpg.html]kacavendastripper_zps1d191965.jpg[/URL]

They didn't caption it so it's difficult to be sure, but if this is one of his rape victims it certainly doesn't look like pedophilia. 

Ultimately it's possible that he's a bisexual that suffers from the disorder of pedophilia as well, just as many heterosexual and homosexual people do.  

Either way, I pray for healing for all of this man's victims, that he may spend a long time in jail away from those he can hurt, and ultimately that he repents of his terrible crimes before death.

It's not head in the sand, it's understanding the difference between a homosexual and a predator.

It's also understanding that the homosexual condition itself is a disorder, and that other disorders connected to it and the attempts to fulfill one's passions will result. Should men afflicted with the homosexual condition be ordained? No. The traditional wisdom of both the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches on that topic should be followed.

Edited by Apotheoun

It's also understanding that the homosexual condition itself is a disorder, and that other disorders connected to it and the attempts to fulfill one's passions will result. Should men afflicted with the homosexual condition be ordained? No. The traditional wisdom of both the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches on that topic should be followed.

I added more, but I can see there's no hope of you making the extraction I'd advocated.