An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sunday Mass / Job Problem

carmenchristi

carmenchristi

I know questions like this are asked frequently on here, but since it has never applied to me, I've never really worried about it. 

Anyway, this summer I am going to be working at a summer camp. The schedule is rather strict, and on non-days-off the staff may not leave camp except between 10pm-1am. In the interview, I asked the director if I would be allowed to leave camp to go to Mass and he told me that since they have a lot of diversity and are a non-denominational camp they try to accomodate as many people as possible with Sunday Christian services at the camp, Friday Jewish services etc.

I couldn't press the issue any more than that. So there may or may not be a Catholic Mass, and if there is not I would not be able to leave camp to go.  In this situation, would I be able to substitute the Christian non-denominational service for Sunday Mass and go to Mass on my (non-Sunday) day off? Ought I try harder to see what sort of exceptions they could make? Should I consider not taking the job?

Sorry for asking another Sunday Mass question, I'm just a little concerned.

Thanks! 

The simplest answer is found in the Code of Canon Law:

Can. 1248  If it is impossible to assist at a eucharistic celebration, either because no sacred minister is available or for some other grave reason, the faithful are strongly recommended to take part in a liturgy of the Word, if there be such in the parish church or some other sacred place, which is celebrated in accordance with the provisions laid down by the diocesan Bishop; or to spend an appropriate time in prayer, whether personally or as a family or, as occasion presents, in a group of families.

In your case the obligation is dispensed because of the above. As to attending a non-denominational service, this can be a good thing to do   does not "fulfil" any obligation in the Catholic sense.

Edited by cappie