An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Legionaries Of Christ

BigJon16

I have heard many different opinions about the Legionaries. Some, like myself, really love them, and others have complete disdain for them. 

Personally, I have gotten to know and learn from some great Legionaries priests and brothers. I just came back from a retreat ran by two Legionaries priests and it was one of the best retreats I have ever been on. I came back with a lot, and had such an amazing encounter with the Lord. I have had some great Legionaries confessors and even pen-pals. To be honest, I don't think I've ever met a Legionaries that I didn't like. There are many Legionaries, that although I don't know in person, I have met over social media or am a fan of the music or videos that they produce. I have even discerned becoming a Legionaries, but felt that that was not where God wants me. (That's another story, lol.) 

My question is, why do some people (some of you guys even) dislike the Legionaries? And where does this come from? I am just curious. I have heard and read of scandals within their hierarchy in the past, but I don't see this as a reason to dislike the order as a whole. I have also read that certain dioceses have completely forbidden them from doing anything within said diocese. Why? Thanks for any insights and explanations! :)

PS:When I was thinking about creating this thread I though to myself,"to open a can of worms, or not to open a can of worms? That is the question." But then I was like #YOLO! And created it..  ;)

Well, I don't actually know any Legionary priests, all I know is that they were asked to leave my diocese by the bishop because of ongoing liturgical abuses and refusal to comply with the bishop while they were in his diocese.

Basilisa Marie

I heard their founder was involved in a pretty nasty scandal.  Some people say that calls the whole order into question, but I think that's a bit extreme.  I know some people whose relationship with Christ and the Church has been strengthened by the Legionaries, and Regnum Christi.  My experience with some members of Regnum Christi made it seem like it was a little cult-like, but I don't think that's a fair assessment of the movement as a whole.  

So basically I think some of the members are weird and/or not good, but I don't think it's fair to characterize the whole movement like that. 

you guys just dont get it.  the financial, sexual, and psychological abuses that occurred for over 50 years has completely tainted the entire organization and renedered them impotent.  there are continued abuses coming to light that they have continued to cover up.   just take a look at  some of the posts on this site

http://www.life-after-rc.com/

when you take a moment to realize what has been going on I think you will have to agree that at the root the organization is damaged beyond repair.  However, there are still quite a few fools that continue to support their lies and mischief.

True there are some good priests from this order.  Anyone with a conscience has already left to serve in other orders or in diocesan ministries.

Beware of their methods of winning your favor, they are well documented as pure manipulation for their own purposes (money and power)

Best wishes.

GeorgiiMichael

you guys just dont get it.  the financial, sexual, and psychological abuses that occurred for over 50 years has completely tainted the entire organization and renedered them impotent.  there are continued abuses coming to light that they have continued to cover up.   just take a look at  some of the posts on this site

http://www.life-after-rc.com/

when you take a moment to realize what has been going on I think you will have to agree that at the root the organization is damaged beyond repair.  However, there are still quite a few fools that continue to support their lies and mischief.

True there are some good priests from this order.  Anyone with a conscience has already left to serve in other orders or in diocesan ministries.

Beware of their methods of winning your favor, they are well documented as pure manipulation for their own purposes (money and power)

Best wishes.

Clearly you've got some strong feelings, but to say that "anyone with a conscience has already left" is merely conjecture and a violation of the Phorum Guidelines since you're claiming that all of the priests and brothers who are still members of Regnum Christi are essentially lacking in scruples. 

Also claiming that an entire order is beyond repair denies the power of God to convert the hearts of men, and by extension the Sacrifice of Christ on the Cross. 

Maybe the order isn't perfect, but libel isn't the way to get your point across. It is also sinful, in addition to your round about apostasy (which you probably didn't truly mean).

Thank you for you input, and welcome to the Phorum, but please be aware, that this post of yours is not an acceptable way to post here or have your opinions actually acknowledged in other places.

beatitude

I heard their founder was involved in a pretty nasty scandal.  Some people say that calls the whole order into question, but I think that's a bit extreme.  I know some people whose relationship with Christ and the Church has been strengthened by the Legionaries, and Regnum Christi.  My experience with some members of Regnum Christi made it seem like it was a little cult-like, but I don't think that's a fair assessment of the movement as a whole.  

So basically I think some of the members are weird and/or not good, but I don't think it's fair to characterize the whole movement like that. 

It wasn't just about Fr Maciel. The Vatican criticised the whole organsation for creating a 'mechanism of defense' around Fr Maciel that made him 'untouchable' - in short, more like a cult figurehead than a priest. There was also concern about the formation the LCs/RC were providing to newcomers, which in many respects was quite obviously cult-like. I know people who have had very positive experiences of RC (in fact, I'm one of them - I benefit from their daily gospel meditations, which are usually beautiful and reverent), so I wouldn't tar the whole organisation with the same brush. There are many good sincere people in it. But I do understand why certain dioceses are reluctant to have the group in town, because where the trust was lost, it has to be re-earned. It can't just be taken for granted. I think sincere LCs/RC members accept this, and are humbly working for it, so I pray for them.

ToJesusMyHeart

I know 3 extremely holy priests in the LC and I would never even think to criticize them in any way. They say Holy Mass more reverently than any other priests I know. 

One of my favorite things they do is how long they elevate our Eucharistic Lord. It's like a whole minute of adoration after transubstantiation occurs. It's SO reverent and so unspeakably beautiful. 

Legionaries get my thumbs up.

RexfordTugwell

@tojesusmyheart

Fr. Maciel also held the Host up for a long, long time. Legion priests who do the same learned it from him. They even genuflect for a really long time too. Don't be fooled by external actions. Also, I'd be a bit cautious about calling people "holy". No one knows the heart except Our Lord. After all, wasn't Fr. Maciel considered holy and a living saint by the Legion priests, "consecrated" and lay members?

The Legion of Christ almost destroyed my marriage. It's a cult.

To answer your question, bigjon16, the Legion of Christ is damaged beyond repair. Marcial Maciel, its founder, was a pedophile and embezzeler. He formed several generations of priests (some of whom he molested as seminarians). Maciel even wrote a book on the formation of priests.

PhuturePriest

I know 3 extremely holy priests in the LC and I would never even think to criticize them in any way. They say Holy Mass more reverently than any other priests I know. 

One of my favorite things they do is how long they elevate our Eucharistic Lord. It's like a whole minute of adoration after transubstantiation occurs. It's SO reverent and so unspeakably beautiful. 

Legionaries get my thumbs up.

I know a Priest like that in a neighboring diocese. I think he is a diocesan Priest, but he wears a cassock, and whenever he consecrates the host he holds it up for like, a minute and a half, and he does the same thing with the chalice. I've often wondered if his arms have ever gotten tired doing that. :P

My experiences with LC priests and RC members have been nothing but positive. I have been on three RC silent retreats lead by a LC priest. I do not see any cultish elements at all. I know that the LC organization is working with the Vatican  to "redefine the charism" of the Legionaries of Christ, preserving "the true nucleus, that of 'militia Christi' (the army of Christ), which distinguishes the apostolic and missionary action of the church."

Anastasia13

All I know if that our old Newman Club Priest was a Legionary. He was very kind, loved God, loved people, and had like 12 years of schooling.

ToJesusMyHeart

I don't know why you expect me to believe you who don't like the LC just because of one priest who did bad things.

The priests I know ARE holy and reverent and awesome. And I think it's very disrespectful of you to bash them without even knowing them and to render the whole order corrupt because of the mistakes of the founder. 

Come on.

CatholicCid

I would imagine that those who have issues with the LC (and, subsequently, RC), have problems with the overall organization, not the individual members. 

I would be one of these people. I've had interaction with (former) members of the LC and also have (briefly) seen their interaction as an organization as a whole. The individuals are great guys and spoke very highly of LC. The organization itself, I have seen in brief conflict with my bishop. The overall organization ignored a legitimate request that he made of them and were reprimanded by the bishop for doing so. That left me with a negative taste for the organization as a whole, but, as I said, I think highly of the members that I had met.

So, my 'dislike' of the organization that is the Legionnaires arises from what I saw as a disrespectful action toward my bishop. Thankfully, my bishop is much better at letting such things run off him like rain (which is why he's the bishop and I'm not).

CatholicCid

(Won't let me edit this onto my post)

As to why do certain diocese not invite the Legionnaires to work within the diocese, it is simply a decision left to the bishop, as with all religious orders operating within his diocese. One reason I have heard (take with a grain of salt) is an objection to their recruiting method, especially of youth towards their seminaries. And, the bishop, as the protector of his flock, must put much discernment into who he will allow to care for his flock. If the bishop has an objection with a method used by a religious order, any religious order, he most likely will not invite them into his diocese.