An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Gospel According To St Matthew.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

(The film, btw) :)

Has anybody seen it? Would you recommend it? I heard that it's the most convincing filmic portrayal of Jesus, and also that it's very Marxist. What are your views?

I've recently been getting into Biblical movies: The ones I've seen (or have seen part of) are:

The Ten Commandments (on the advice of my Honours supervisor, who loves Charlton Heston);

The Robe (which I saw many moons ago but recall it was good);

Ben-Hur (which I've seen many times but love it more and more each time);

Joseph of Nazareth (which was too far-fetched for me)

The Greatest Story Ever Told;

The Prince of Egypt;

The Passion of the Christ (I really liked it);

Jesus of Nazareth (which I loved, despite the length).

Also, would you recommend other Biblical or Jesus-related movies that aren't on my list?

PhuturePriest

I've never heard of it or seen it, but I do question its message if it is really Marxist.

Anastasia13

I've never heard of it or seen it, but I do question its message if it is really Marxist.

Indeed. Leninism is much better/more legit than Marxism.

Basilisa Marie

To say that it's Marxist is a really big, vague claim.  It could just mean that it's very pro-rights of the people, or they focus on the social and political turmoil going on during Jesus' life. 

So even though I haven't seen it, I'd check it out and then figure out if you agree that it is/how it is Marxist. :)

brianthephysicist

I haven't seen that one, but I have seen two good ones on Kings Saul, David, and Solomon.  Full movies available free on youtube.  King Saul -> King David: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHYEMlaf48s  And King David -> King Solomon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7Y-UqJD1Zg .  The voice tracking is off in parts, but it was certainly enjoyable.

Spem in alium

Thanks everyone. I'll check it out and see if I pick anything up there. Brian, thanks for those films! I'll have a look at them too :)

Edited by Spem in alium