An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vs Hermits?

Gabriela

Has anyone from VS entered a hermitage? Just curious to see how that discernment happened...

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria!

Has anyone from VS entered a hermitage? Just curious to see how that discernment happened...

I spent some time discerning the semi-eremitical life and visited one of the two Carmelite hermit communities (O.Carm.) in Texas. I had a very good visit there, but it wasn't for me. I never got around to visiting the other hermit communities in the USA, nor did I consider anything outside of the country at the time.

I'm a Franciscan of the Immaculate, but our postulancy is at Mount Saint Francis Hermitage in upstate New York where we have a retreat center and little cabins/hermitages open to the public - one could spend some discernment time there. Although we have contemplative communities and our friars are encouraged to make retreats there, our constitutions mention the hermitages of the saints, especially St. Francis, so it may be a possibility in the future as the community grows.

There are also other communities that have a provision for a member to become a hermit attached to the community after a number of years, e.g the Maronite Monks of Adoration in MA. I've also heard of men and women becoming hermits under their diocesan bishop.

Ave Maria!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

• 3 weeks later...
Gotigermonk

I am staying in a hermitage at Holy Cross Abbey. I have been discerning this call since 2002. I visited the Carmelites and the Calmodolese. I love the Carmelite charism, but I do not have the vocation to be a nun. I applied to be an oblate of the Calmodolese in California. I have developed my own Rule by praying over the Calmodolese Rule and the Rule of St. Benedict, and the Carmelite Rule, also. I have read some about the Desert Mothers and Fathers. I have read about anchorites, and beguines. There are some hermits in the U.S.

Little Flower

I have enormous respect for these people. I don't think I could do it. I LOVE being around other people and stuff. I talk a LOT. I am actually discerning a contemplative vocation, but with that you're at least around other people even if you aren't talking all the time. I think I might go stir crazy as a hermit.

Gotigermonk

I am staying in a hermitage at Holy Cross Abbey. I have been discerning this call since 2002. I visited the Carmelites and the Calmodolese. I love the Carmelite charism, but I do not have the vocation to be a nun. I applied to be an oblate of the Calmodolese in California. I have developed my own Rule by praying over the Calmodolese Rule and the Rule of St. Benedict, and the Carmelite Rule, also. I have read some about the Desert Mothers and Fathers. I have read about anchorites, and beguines. There are some hermits in the U.S.